Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

LostInBed
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 11:13 am

So, Microsoft is putting out a new OS to work better with touchscreen systems and tablets but do any of you techies out there think the companies who are said to be putting out tablets that will be running this OS will offer the option of running android OS's as certain manufacturer's Windows phones do?

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 12:07 pm

Most likely considering the fact that Android has been out for a few years, while Win8 is a latecomer in an already established market. --FWIW, I've seen Win8, and I really can't say that I was impressed with it.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 12:11 pm

I'm not impressed with windows 8 either.
It really just seems like a touch interface update, that's all.
IMO, the new interface is downright ugly.

Diagnosed in 2005

bigbadbeast2007
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2011, 4:46 pm

pete1061 wrote:
I'm not impressed with windows 8 either.
It really just seems like a touch interface update, that's all.
IMO, the new interface is downright ugly.

All M$ are doing and have been doing it for years is stealing from the competition! app store (I phoneAndroid ) And it's based on windows nt!
Windows nt has been around since 1994!

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 10:18 pm

But considering the alternatives, I'll stick with microsoft. I'll just pass on win 8, maybe win 9 will be better.
Apple is a corporate bully since they have become huge, they are just as bad as microsoft in terms of corporate behavior.
And Linux OS's are over complicated as hell with a pathetic selection of software.

And android, it may be fine for mobile & tablet, but it's not a desktop OS, I doubt it ever will be.

Diagnosed in 2005

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 7:05 am

pete1061 wrote:
Apple is a corporate bully since they have become huge, they are just as bad as microsoft in terms of corporate behavior.

Yes, they're protecting their IP aggressively, but how does this affect you as a consumer?

Quote:
And Linux OS's are over complicated as hell with a pathetic selection of software.

Linux isn't really complicated, I've been playing with various distros recently and it's not as bad as most people think at all.

Quote:
And android, it may be fine for mobile & tablet, but it's not a desktop OS, I doubt it ever will be.

Well it's not intended to be a desktop OS.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 3:36 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
pete1061 wrote:

Yes, they're protecting their IP aggressively, but how does this affect you as a consumer?
...snip....

I don't like companies that use lawyers for profit.
I believe that our society is far too litigious. Too much of a big deal is made about IP, people just need to chill out over IP.
This doesn't so much affect me as a consumer, but as a member of a society that is being destroyed by excessive legal activity.
Businesses like Apple who engage in heavy legal action are making the problem worse.

Diagnosed in 2005

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 3:49 pm

pete1061 wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
pete1061 wrote:

...snip....

I believe that our society is far too litigious. Too much of a big deal is made about IP, people just need to chill out over IP.
This doesn't so much affect me as a consumer, but as a member of a society that is being destroyed by excessive legal activity.
Businesses like Apple who engage in heavy legal action are making the problem worse.

I do agree with you. I hate IP. I'd make copyright disappear if I could. But every single company takes advantage of it, so boycotting one because of the issue does nothing. I'm still supporting it with my money no matter who I buy from. It just so happens that Apple's antics are in the media at the moment.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 8:03 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
pete1061 wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
pete1061 wrote:

...snip....

I do agree with you. I hate IP. I'd make copyright disappear if I could. But every single company takes advantage of it, so boycotting one because of the issue does nothing. I'm still supporting it with my money no matter who I buy from. It just so happens that Apple's antics are in the media at the moment.

I just find Apple to be a jerkey company that is totally full of itself. I'm not "boycotting" it for any real reason.. If Apple we're a person, it would be a douchebag. Also, they are quite over-priced.

Anyhow, I've derailed this thread enough, sorry about that folks.

back to a windows 8 discussion....

Diagnosed in 2005

40djbrooks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Dec 2011, 8:32 am

I think what you got to ask the question why apple charge such high prices?

All the components in an apple computer is made of a higher quality than standard pc desktops, if you think about it, if you wanted to you can buy higher quality components for a desktop pc if you willing to spend at least £1000 on designing it. You pay for what you get.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2011, 10:46 am

40djbrooks wrote:

All the components in an apple computer is made of a higher quality than standard pc desktops, if you think about it, if you wanted to you can buy higher quality components for a desktop pc if you willing to spend at least £1000 on designing it. You pay for what you get.

I could get the same quality with a high end Dell or Lenovo with the added bonus that if I wanted to install a bigger HDD later on, I could do it myself. You really can't do this with an Apple. Also, If for some reason I lose the ppower cable or adapter, I could easily and fairly inexpensively replace it with Generics. Apple OTOH uses proprietary connectors throughout which means that you have to get replacements directly from Apple who will charge you a premium to replace them.

Don't get me wrong, Apple makes a nice product, but owning one is like owning a BMW or Mercedes Auto in the fact that your essentially locked into owning a 'stock' product.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2011, 11:01 am

Fogman wrote:
40djbrooks wrote:

I could get the same quality with a high end Dell or Lenovo with the added bonus that if I wanted to install a bigger HDD later on, I could do it myself. You really can't do this with an Apple. Also, If for some reason I lose the ppower cable or adapter, I could easily and fairly inexpensively replace it with Generics. Apple OTOH uses proprietary connectors throughout which means that you have to get replacements directly from Apple who will charge you a premium to replace them.

Don't get me wrong, Apple makes a nice product, but owning one is like owning a BMW or Mercedes Auto in the fact that your essentially locked into owning a 'stock' product.

Your information is incorrect. You can easily upgrade the hard drive of a Mac, and do you seriously think Dell's build quality is comparable to Apple's? Don't make me laugh! :lol:

40djbrooks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Dec 2011, 11:22 am

I have to agree with Fogman that it is a lot easier to maintain a pc compared to an apple computer, having said that, I managed to get an opportunity to see what goes inside an apple computer and the parts are of high quality compared to pc components, having said that, you can buy pc components that equal that quality, it depends what people can afford.

Quite a lot of our aspies, do not work, some do which is great, but it is a lot of money.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2011, 12:25 pm

40djbrooks wrote:
I have to agree with Fogman that it is a lot easier to maintain a pc compared to an apple computer, having said that, I managed to get an opportunity to see what goes inside an apple computer and the parts are of high quality compared to pc components, having said that, you can buy pc components that equal that quality, it depends what people can afford.

Quite a lot of our aspies, do not work, some do which is great, but it is a lot of money.

The thing about a Mac is you don't need to replace the parts all the time like you're probably used to doing on a PC. They're far more reliable and well built. You can upgrade the hard drive and RAM to improve performance, but you don't NEED to replace lots of stuff to keep it working at all.

40djbrooks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Dec 2011, 1:19 pm

Yes I agree with you Asp-z i have seen the inside of the mac and the boards and components are of a higher grade, I do however think that pc component manufacturers are producing some neat stuff, but you have to pay a high premium for it, I can see desktops being phased out in favour of touch screen technology, maybe high end desktops for gamers.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 12:05 am

LostInBed wrote:
So, Microsoft is putting out a new OS to work better with touchscreen systems and tablets but do any of you techies out there think the companies who are said to be putting out tablets that will be running this OS will offer the option of running android OS's as certain manufacturer's Windows phones do?

Microsoft put technology in Windows 8 to try to prevent you from running another OS on your PC. (google "windows 8 uefi secure boot")

I highly doubt they'll allow another OS to run on Windows 8 tablets.