Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 9:22 pm

lately i've been snooping around to get a new media player, ipods tend to sell good so i figure they are decent products. my current is a zen that doesn't hold a charge for longer then a week, i got it a few years back it's showing it's age now.

i'm not sure what kind i want there are hundreds to choose from, the shuffle, the touch, the nano, the classic.

the shuffle is small but don't like it to much, mostly don't like the looks. the touch looks cool, but it is expensive, and i'm not sure if i'll end up using half the features anyway seems a waste to pay for a device and only use 10% of what you paid for. i'd probably end up using games, music player, and video player.

but the tech nut in me goes crazy when i watch videos of it on tv, it is so cool.

the nano is decent but i can only find it in 8 gigs and i need way more harddrive space then just that. my music folder right now is 4.58 gigs already.

the classic i'm not sure about it seems to be priced to high for being an outdated model. and it only has 30gigs and it sells for 200$ the same price my 60gig zen sold for. overpriced and you get half the harddrive space, sounds like a waste to me.

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 9:38 pm

I've got an iPod touch 4th generation and I love it. It's got 32gigs of space and is a whole lot more than a music player to me. I'm typing this post on it. If you want a versatile device that you can play music, watch Netflix, check email, and make free phone calls (I'm too cheap for a cell phone), you won't be disappointed. But if you don't care about all those extras, The nano can double as a wrist watch! (wrist strap sold separately)

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 10:27 pm

Aharon wrote:
I've got an iPod touch 4th generation and I love it. It's got 32gigs of space and is a whole lot more than a music player to me. I'm typing this post on it. If you want a versatile device that you can play music, watch Netflix, check email, and make free phone calls (I'm too cheap for a cell phone), you won't be disappointed. But if you don't care about all those extras, The nano can double as a wrist watch! (wrist strap sold separately)

yeah i love that the touch is practically a mini computer itself. but i'm not really sure what i want. i guess it would depend on my mood, some days i just want my music, but most days i want to be able to carry around one thing. and not 7 things.

well it's not like i'll die if i don't get a media player. i still got time to weigh the pros and cons. and saw that wrist watch thing for the nano, very nice makes it easy to travel with.

but i'm not sure if i get one that can only do songs and later on kick myself because i want to play a game surf the net etc and i can't.

the touch covers everything but that's a pretty hefty price tag, but for what it can do it seems a fair deal.

also i'm not sure how much money i have to spend. also my zen's software doesn't like win 7, i won't have that problem with itunes.

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 11:20 pm

Yeah they are a bit, and I had to save up for mine, bought it to replace my aging palm pilot. Now i barely use my laptop anymore, I'm on this thing all the time!

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 11:30 pm

Aharon wrote:
Yeah they are a bit, and I had to save up for mine, bought it to replace my aging palm pilot. Now i barely use my laptop anymore, I'm on this thing all the time!

yeah but a better deal then the classic, i saw one going for the same price as the touch. to me if i am going to pay 200$ on something it better do more then two things.

i've never used an ipod of any kind before, but i hear pretty much nothing bad about them. i want to see if that is true, mostly and get a decent media player for once.

edit: honestly i'm leaning more toward the touch, because of the colors app, it was a ds homebrew program. but collecting smiles the guys that made it dropped the ds version like a ton of bricks. and at the same time i lost my r4 card that had the program on it. now r4 cards are being outlawed and i only got lucky finding a copy of the homebrew ds version.

but the program was on the touch and the ds now just on the touch and 3ds, i'm not even going to bother with the 3ds. but i've always thought about getting a touch, i love the commercials of games on that thing.

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2011, 3:11 am

Yeah the games are pretty cool. I bought my iPod to help me organize and plan (I called my palm pilot my prosthetic brain) and now I waste so much time on it, it's just too much fun! I am getting better about forcing myself to pick it up and balance my check book instead if doing things like checking wp, lol, but it's hard! What is ds?

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2011, 3:23 am

Aharon wrote:
Yeah the games are pretty cool. I bought my iPod to help me organize and plan (I called my palm pilot my prosthetic brain) and now I waste so much time on it, it's just too much fun! I am getting better about forcing myself to pick it up and balance my check book instead if doing things like checking wp, lol, but it's hard! What is ds?

oh nintendo ds the handheld console, you could get a card called a flashcart and run homebrew on it like cfw for the psp. but the older ones were easy to hack and people used them to bootleg games so r4s and others were outlawed worldwide. i'm probably one of the few that still has an old flashcart.

colors is a handheld photoshop program, and it was what got me interested in homebrew to begin with.

i have my r4i left lost the other one.

and i would love to have the touch version as well.

the last ds version was 1.10 and then they dropped it, at least they fixed the pressure problem. but yeah the program is sentimental to me, one of the last things i made art on before giving up. i'm weird. ^^;

ictus75
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2011, 4:14 am

I have an iPod touch 4g and got it for music, but I ended up using it more for E-mail, web surfing, notes, and various apps that keep me connected to my interests. It's actually replaced my laptop in many situations. I don't go anywhere without it.

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2011, 3:49 pm

ictus75 wrote:
I have an iPod touch 4g and got it for music, but I ended up using it more for E-mail, web surfing, notes, and various apps that keep me connected to my interests. It's actually replaced my laptop in many situations. I don't go anywhere without it.

yeah that's why i'm thinking of of getting it, it is sorta an all in one device, so i can put all the stuff i like on it.

but i have to say looking at all the features it lists on amazon, i wonder who they go so much stuff on something so small. talk about advancement in technology. and i get more tempted to get it every time i look at it.

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2011, 5:30 pm

I'm the kind of person who despises Apple for various reasons. I prefer my 4 inch Samsung Galaxy Player, but go on ahead and get an iPod. I don't care at all.

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2011, 6:08 pm

RaceDrv709 wrote:
I'm the kind of person who despises Apple for various reasons. I prefer my 4 inch Samsung Galaxy Player, but go on ahead and get an iPod. I don't care at all.

i don't hate companies, like i like microsoft, don't like the xbox i more or less debate on the products made, music is the same way with me. but i have gone through 2 media players already a samsung and a creative zen. the samsung was crap most samsung products are good but i guess i got a dud.

meanwhile ipods of all kinds tend to get good reviews and i don't run across much hate toward them for technical issues, i don't actively search for complaints but i tend to run across issues with anything if they are widespread enough. like the problems with dragon age, skyrim, fallout 3, and many other things. ipods seem to me to be pretty reliable, because i often test the limits of almost anything i have, so i need something that can hold up and last good while.

but i was hesitant to consider getting one before now, till the two i had broke you no longer worked on my compy, being that all ipods run with itunes, there is a very good chance that it will always have support and always run on my computer, no matter how many times it gets upgraded.

and i'm also a tech junkie, i love high tech machines.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2012, 4:42 am

If you want an iPod nano, the 5th gen is the best one. It has the biggest screen, a camera, a microphone, a video player, a radio, and it's very light, thin, and, because they're discontinued, cheap.

Only issue is you'd have to either buy one used or wait for some to pop up on Apple's refurb section.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2012, 8:35 am

The iPods and iPhones are good products. The iPods are somewhat overprice though. And what I don't like about the iPhone is Apple's complete control of what apps you can put on it. But I think that's an issue no matter what brand of smartphone you get.

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 3:00 pm

i finally made a decision, i went with the touch. i figured if i was going to get one i may as well get the one i really wanted, since the touch does a bit of everything i don't have to kick myself because i can't do [insert activity here because the device does support it]. i didn't want a phone at all i have my lg nv and i hardly use it enough to justify having it, so the phone would be a waste because i would end up hardly using it.

i got the 32 gig model because i would be able to overload the 8 gig with music alone. black one because it was cheaper then the white one.

it also had a lot of good reviews most people gave it 4 or 5 stars and said that there weren't to many downsides to the device, also if it can get the net down here [we live in the middle of nowhere in cell phones lose their signal here] then i could use that to look up things to help in a game if i don't have my computer running. it sucks having to wait 10 freaking minutes for it to load just to find the hex code for one item in legend of dragoon [true story it was 9d] i could also surf for other things quickly when i don't feel like booting this big machine up. i just hope it lasts longer then my last two.

ipods tend to get good feedback so that nice to know. i think this is the first apple product i ever bought, so i'll see if the company is as good as they brag.

but i have to say looking at the list of features this thing has blows me away, and the fact that it's not much bigger then a ds, i honestly wonder how they made this thing. pretty much the only thing it doesn't do is cook. O_o i find that so cool, it is a gaming console, media player, an ebook, a mini computer, a camera, a photo album, a web browser, and it has motion sensors all in one pocket size device. how in the world they made this thing is beyond me but it still is awesome.