Need help to convert from windows xp to windows 7.

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

yevgeni
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Jan 2012, 1:24 pm

I am still using the older version of operating system of windows. I am thinking to convert from windows xp to windows 7 but afraid about my microsoft outlook. I am using outlook since many days to access mails i have important contacts and mails in my outlook. So if i convert windows xp to windows 7 how to get exact microsoft outlook over there.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

05 Jan 2012, 6:25 pm

[Moved from Random Discussion to Computers, Math, Science, and Technology]

bryce13950
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Jan 2012, 8:59 pm

I would advise not doing so. I have been using Windows 7 on a laptop that I cannot downgrade for 7 months now and I absolutely hate it. IMO XP was a far superior OS. If you are going to upgrade at any time I would wait for 8 it is looking to be much more promising than 7.

mglosenger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jan 2012, 1:29 am

I recall that Outlook has an 'export' option or two. You should be able to export all your contacts and emails and import them again.

As far as XP vs 7, in some ways 7 is slower, but it also does more stuff, so I forgive it. For me all the 'more stuff' it does makes using it over XP worth it. And on a modern computer you won't notice.

As far as waiting for 8, you could do that forever, don't upgrade to 8 cuz 9 is close, etc. etc.

HOWEVER, if you are happy with XP as-is and don't really need 7 for anything, and don't think the 7 eyecandy or DirectX 10+ support is worth it, then you may as well stick with XP.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 11:48 am

I think migrating from XP to Windows 7 is a big mistake, as Win7 is essentially an even more bloated version Vista with most of the bugs removed. If you seriously want to upgrade to a more current OS, switch over to Debian with the GNOME Desktop. There you will have an email program called Evolution which is essentially an Outlook work alike.

That being said, the directory structure is ENTIRELY different from Window, and you will have to take some time to learn how it works, as well as some minor Desktop and configuration issues that are completely different from Windows. --If you have an ATI or NVidia graphics card in your system, you will also need to set your system up to use proprietary software archives to get the proprietary XServers and driver/Kernel modules in order to get the proper graphics acceleration.

That being said, once this is out of the way it's a better system than Win7, provided that you are not a serious gamer.

To save your emails though, you will most likely have to save them individually as text files, and make a directory to store them in, rather than move them to another program. --You will have to face the same issue even if you migrate your system to Windows 7.

Personally, I haven't touched an Email client in since 2004, and have absolutely no issues with using Web Based Email like GMail and others as it is generally more secure than using a POP3 client.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 1:26 pm

I don't actually find Windows 7 to be that bad (although I do prefer my current OS, Linux Mint). But a computer that was built for XP probably will not have the resources to be able to handle Windows 7 well. So I can't imagine that upgrading would be a good idea.

mglosenger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jan 2012, 1:59 pm

AstroGeek wrote:
I don't actually find Windows 7 to be that bad (although I do prefer my current OS, Linux Mint). But a computer that was built for XP probably will not have the resources to be able to handle Windows 7 well. So I can't imagine that upgrading would be a good idea.

Actually, even my puny single core Atom-based netbook handles Windows 7 Ultimate well. It worked pretty well with 1-2 apps open at once with 1 GB of RAM, and better with 2 GB. MS deliberately tuned Win7 so that it would run well on a variously-powered systems.

For whatever reason, Win 7 actually boots faster on my netbook than it does on my 8 GB iCore5 etc etc system. This was true even when I had 1 GB..

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 6:36 pm

mglosenger wrote:
AstroGeek wrote:

Actually, even my puny single core Atom-based netbook handles Windows 7 Ultimate well. It worked pretty well with 1-2 apps open at once with 1 GB of RAM, and better with 2 GB. MS deliberately tuned Win7 so that it would run well on a variously-powered systems.

For whatever reason, Win 7 actually boots faster on my netbook than it does on my 8 GB iCore5 etc etc system. This was true even when I had 1 GB..

Does your netbook have an SSD?

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 8:52 pm

mglosenger wrote:
AstroGeek wrote:

When I've had to log onto Win 7 instead of Linux I've found it painfully slow. But then, it does have more visual features than my version of Linux does. When I tried one of the more visually pleasing versions I think it ran even slower than Win 7.

mglosenger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jan 2012, 10:44 pm

SammichEater wrote:
mglosenger wrote:

Does your netbook have an SSD?

It did briefly, but it actually didn't make much difference. I think the CPU on it is slow enough that the stock 160GB HD actually doesn't hamper it much.

Re: Linux, Linux does boot faster than Win7 on my netbook.. but not by much. I've never seen anything boot faster than Linux (Ubuntu is all I've tried), though

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 5:17 pm

Which version of Outlook are you using.

Windows 7 runs Great if you have 1 GB of Ram+ and a 64-Bit Processor. (Or at least a Intel Atom. ) I bought a Refurbished HP Compaq DC5750 at Big-Lots that came with Windows XP Pro. The thing only had 1 GB of Ram and a Dual-Core Athlon. When my computer booted up loading programs such as Firefox and Office 2010 was actually faster under 7 than in XP. On Boot up time XP was faster. However that was about it. However XP is still a good OS and I keep it around for programs that don't run well on 7,

However if you only have a Pentium 4, Athlon XP or Older Processor I wouldn't suggest 7. Or have less than 1 GB of Ram. 1 GB is Good for a 32-Bit Version. However I would personally go for 2 GB of Ram + and run the 64-Bit Version. No use running a modern OS if you can't take advantage of 64-Bit Computing. Or run 64-Bit version. Besides the 64-Bit version is more secure than the 32-bit.,

However why use Windows. If you want to why not use Linux Mint or Debian. Both OSes or more secure and intuitive than Windows. Windows 7 minimizes the registry issues of earlier Windows version. Linux doesn't have a registry at all. Other than Malware most Windows errors are caused by registry conflicts.

CloudWalker
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 10:05 pm

Windows 7 will not retain any settings when upgrading from XP, so you definitely have to back up beforehand. There is an option to export contacts that you can import back later.

If you are talking about Outlook that comes with Office and you have the Office install disc, then you can install it back after upgrading.

If you are talking about Outlook Express, it's been replaced by Windows Live Mail and you have to download it after install.

CloudWalker
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 10:39 pm

Despite the persistent rumor about linux supremacy here, Windows 7's requirement is not that different from a modern linux distro. Most of the time the bad experience people get stream from the extra programs that companies preinstalled for them.

Since you didn't list the spec of your computer, it's hard to tell how well Windows 7 will run on it. The fact is whether you are using Windows or any recent mainstream linux distro, you really need at least 1GB RAM. If you wanna enable compositing (Aero or equivalent), you also need a well written driver for the GPU.

Case in point, I recently got an ancient computer (Pentium 3, 512MB RAM) from a relative. On it Mint run like a dog but Windows ThinPC (a strip down version of Windows 7 from M$) run reasonably smooth. If you want reasonable performance from linux, you'll need to use a lightweight distro on it.