Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 12:23 pm

Hey!
I want to get Photoshop after trying the trial a while ago.
But the trouble is, I cannot afford the huge price tag.
I am home educated by my mother, do you think I will be able to get a student license?

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 12:25 pm

Madbones wrote:
Hey!
I am home educated by my mother, do you think I will be able to get a student license?

You might be able to try that, however you might be able save substantial cash by finding an older copy of PS used, and go the upgrade route.

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 12:29 pm

Fogman wrote:
Madbones wrote:
Hey!

You might be able to try that, however you might be able save substantial cash by finding an older copy of PS used, and go the upgrade route.

I have been looking but, I need it in OSX. So the OSX versions for some reason are more expensive.
Im not really bothered about what version it is aslong as its newer then CS2+

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 1:00 pm

you can always write a request, i got my license from an art school where i was a student and later upgraded it, its fairly cheap.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 1:11 pm

Oodain wrote:
you can always write a request, i got my license from an art school where i was a student and later upgraded it, its fairly cheap.

Yeah thats what my parents said, I'l write a request when I bash together the cash.
One thing though, does this mean I can use it for Game Development? Thats what I will be using it for.
I only need it on 1 computer. Im just wondering if Im allowed to use it for game development.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 1:57 pm

as far as i remember they have the licensing details available on their website,
in honesty i dont know,

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 4:51 pm

Madbones wrote:
Hey!

Try using GIMP instead. Some people claim that GIMP doesn't have the same quality as photoshop, however it open source and free to download. You can download the Windows version of GIMP here:

http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html

If you want the Mac OS version of GIMP, you can download it here:

http://gimp.lisanet.de/Website/Download.html

Last edited by Jono on 24 Jan 2012, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 4:55 pm

Jono wrote:
Madbones wrote:
Hey!

Try using GIMP instead. Some people claim that GIMP doesn't have the same quality as photoshop, however it open source and free to download. You can download the Windows version of GIMP here:

http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html

I have tried using GIMP, not getting on with it so well so far, but hey, if I have to, I will. You see, I dont mind not getting on with it, but my brother does. We are planning to make a business (Doing games and software kind of a thing) together, and as im trash at graphics design and he is great at it, im giving him that job. My brother likes Photoshop after using it. But I think I might be able to talk him round to GIMP if it comes to not being able to purchase PS.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 5:45 pm

i used to use gimp for HDR merging before i found a dedicated program that does a much more "raw" job of merging the images, to its important not to go too overboard on some of the more surreal aspects of HDR pictures.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

24 Jan 2012, 7:55 pm

I don't know how this compares with the current version of Gimp and it could be complete poo for all I know, but -
http://gimpshop.com/

raykusray
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Feb 2012, 8:22 am

Ummm. Do you have a student ID card from your school? I found out that my local community college accepted that (I was in high school at the time), and priced the software at about $250. This was a while ago. Never hurts to go in person and try.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

02 Feb 2012, 4:33 pm

raykusray wrote:
Ummm. Do you have a student ID card from your school?
Madbones wrote:

@Madbones: did you check out that Gimpshop link I gave (above)?

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 5:41 pm

Cornflake wrote:
raykusray wrote:
Ummm. Do you have a student ID card from your school?
Madbones wrote:

@Madbones: did you check out that Gimpshop link I gave (above)?

Oh yeah! Sorry, forgot about this post. Yeah. I did, it was ok. Didnt really match up to what Photoshop could do. To be fair, I do need to invest for my company, so hey. This will be one of the investments.
Thanks anyway! ;)

raykusray

04 Feb 2012, 9:06 am

there's also Pixia, a program i used. Ummm, it is compatible with drawing tablets, apparently.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2012, 1:11 am

Gimpshop is a...well...someone tried to make Gimp work like Photoshop. I hear older versions were 'buggy', haven't seen what the latest can do. I've used Gimp on and off for years, it's ok, but the price is right.

btw- if you actually are considering a business, the cost of the program becomes an expense, which can be deducted on your taxes. Just thought I'd throw that in.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

05 Feb 2012, 10:17 am

pakled wrote:
Gimpshop is a...well...someone tried to make Gimp work like Photoshop.
:lol: Yep, I looked at it once ages ago and it was... a bit flaky. Just wondered if things had improved since then.

@Madbones: is there some Photoshop-specific thing you need? Although Gimp doesn't do absolutely everything Photoshop does, it's still extremely capable and for most purposes it's just a case of re-learning how something is done "the Gimp way".