Recommend a fast and free Webmail account please?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 9:25 am

I've used Yahoo webmail accounts for many years for anonymous email accounts e.g. for internet forums, but since the Yahoo "upgrade" a few months ago it is so slow it is virtually unusable. It has just taken me five minutes to log in and open a window to write an email! I'm stuck with dial-up internet so sites that insist on stuffing lots of extra crap on the webpage are not very usable to me. When I log into Yahoo webmail it insists on giving me a page full of national news with associated photographs etc which I don't give a monkey's nob about. Then it dims out the screen and puts up a busy graphic for a couple of minutes during which time it is effectively dead. Finally it allows me to create a new email or go to my inbox!

Any FAST (free) Webmail accounts? Preferably ones that don't try to make me "friends" of people I communicate with. I just want to send and receive emails, not join a circus.

What is Hotmail like nowadays? I've not used that for several years.

Gmail is a non-starter - the last time I tried to open a Gmail account it insisted on knowing my mobile phone number - stuff that!

RocketSurgeon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

dragonfly224
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Feb 2012, 9:57 am

aol.com has a good mail service if you don't mind the fact it is aol...lol

kestrel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 11:52 am

fastmail.fm

If you want paid services later, they have excellent plans.

V001
Toucan
Toucan

03 Feb 2012, 11:54 am

Use a program like Thunderbird. You use this to get email and it only downloads your email and the default setting even loads no images in emails for faster load times :-)
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/
You can bypass the mobile phone number check in gmail and it still works. you have to reload the screen or click no thanks or if that does not work close the browser and come back

V001
Toucan
Toucan

03 Feb 2012, 12:52 pm

I sent feedback to yahoo about how annoying their web based email had become 3 years a go and they did not give a dam and made it even more annoying. For example i wanted only to see email i did find a way that worked for awhile, than they change it. Than they started adding news to the inbox page i complain they did nothing. I wanted to log out and only see the email log in screen again they auto fowarded me to finf yahoo news And most recently they did remove the news bs out of your inbox if you know were to look to turn it off. It was too late i refuse to use their web based mail and use a imap program and made yahoo my last email not 1st.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 1:26 pm

@V001. I use Thunderbird and a couple of Yahoo POP3 email accounts. Even they aren't great - if someone sends me a moderately large file attachment it doesn't delete the email from the Yahoo server. Every 5 minute cycle it downloads the same email down again, and again etc. Don't know if the fault is with Thunderbird or Yahoo but the problem only happens with Yahoo POP3. I end up having to go into Yahoo webmail and manually deleting the (read) email.

I specifically want to use a webmail only email address for when I'm communicating with people I don't necessarily trust and I don't want them having the ability to send me any dodgy emails that reach my Thunderbird inbox. Some people I prefer to keep at arms length.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 1:28 pm

I have a gmail account and about every month or 2 it asks about my phone number, so I just click ignore. The reason why there is a difference is probably because I got the account a while ago

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 6:07 pm

I've been using GMX for a couple of weeks. It joins all my email accounts into one. I will keep using it.