Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2012, 6:37 pm

Hello!
I have come to use my netbook more and more and more.
It boots into everything. I have OSX working perfectly on there. [To the guys who have seen me talk about getting wifi working on it, I did it in the end :D ] (I have settled for OSX I think. I change all the time :lol: )
I love it to bits, I can take it everywhere with me. It works really well. Plays my retro games I like. Its perfect. The only thing is, the screens resolution is a little small. I can cope with that just fine, but I am thinking of upgrading my netbook with a higher resolution screen. Is this possibile? If so, that would be awesome. I would like a 1366 x 768 res, that would be lovely. I know I should just buy a new netbook as this one is 2 years old, but for me it works and gets the job done. I also know the only way to install hackintosh on it. So if I where to upragde I would be taking a risk of not being able to install OSX properly (OSX hates certain GPUS even of the same varient.).

So yeah, any one think this is a good idea?
If so, then I think I might do it as a fun project. I like taking apart laptops, I have been doing desktops all my life. Its nice for a change.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2012, 6:47 pm

Depends. Does your netbook have a video output? For what you want would it be a helluva lot easier to just get an external monitor?

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2012, 7:10 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:
Depends. Does your netbook have a video output? For what you want would it be a helluva lot easier to just get an external monitor?

Totally agreed!
But, I would like a good resolution anywhere I go.

largosan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Feb 2012, 9:41 pm

It is technically possible to fit a new screen to it. What size is the screen, and what brand is it? You might be able to get a "replacement" screen for a newer netbook, if it mounts the same way(or you can macgyver something together), is the same size(optional if macgyvering the screen onto the base) , and uses the same connector. Since you are not running the default locked down OS(At least that's how Chrome OS was before I switched to ubuntu), the software should not be an issue.

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2012, 9:46 pm

largosan wrote:
It is technically possible to fit a new screen to it. What size is the screen, and what brand is it? You might be able to get a "replacement" screen for a newer netbook, if it mounts the same way(or you can macgyver something together), is the same size(optional if macgyvering the screen onto the base) , and uses the same connector. Since you are not running the default locked down OS(At least that's how Chrome OS was before I switched to ubuntu), the software should not be an issue.

Its an Acer Aspire One D250 thats 10 inches.
And yeah, I got rid of the OS that came with this machine as soon as I got it. I do tripple boot now. OSX Windows and Linux.

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2012, 5:20 am

While it is theoretically possible for a few machines in most cases it won't work. Apart from physically fitting the panel, very often the controller chips can only handle one specific type of screen.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2012, 11:41 am

technically possible but absolutely unfeasible.

as many other have mentioned it would require that you found not only a larger screen, but a new integrated påower supply for same and a new controller board capable of handling the new resolition, even then it is far from sure that it will work and your netbook might simply not have the oomph to drive higher resolutions.

all in all i think it is just as cheap to buy a proper labtop, a loose screen with everything required is probably more expensive.
if you have all the spare parts you can always test it but i doubt it will be a an easily workable solution.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2012, 12:00 pm

I saw an Acer Aspire One at Target for $298. Thats with a 12" screen, AMD Dual-Core Processor, 2 GB of Ram and 320GB Hard Drive. Running 7 Home Premium 64-Bit. (Not that Starter Edition B.S) God I hate Windows 7 Stater.

I'd probably get one of those and Dual-Boot with Debian. That and get a good solid state drive. That's me personally though.

cw10
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2012, 3:36 am

I'd save the money and upgrade to a larger laptop. Screens just don't come in higher resolution models that fit netbooks. Even if you were able to find one it'll probably set you back around 100-150 dollars just for the screen. Installing them are fairly easy, but it's not worth the hassle.

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2012, 8:36 am

Ok, thanks everyone for your help!
I'l have to hack my programs to run at the 1024 x 600 resolution.Thanks anyway!