CD 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
LP 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5

bjmax31
Toucan
Toucan

23 Nov 2006, 1:14 am

here is a quick comparison between the two formats

CD: It is limited by a sample set (44khz-16-bit) millions of sqaure waves ect.

LP: Lots of hisses and pops clicks what not (depending on the condition of the record). But I think LP has a more natural sound and higher clarity than cd.

but cds are more convenient

what do you guys think

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2006, 2:06 am

Do you think mp3 should be included in a poll?

Many don't notice the difference between cd and mp3..

Personally LP's aren't really an option simply because most of my favourite artists only release on cd.

bish
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Nov 2006, 6:44 am

i recently got the lp's out as a blast from the past and despite the clicks and pops etc it sounded much better. the general public were 'conned' into accepting cd on a sound quality basis-where really the bandwidth/resolution of the lp is only limited by the size of atoms used in the medium! yes, i know that the human ear has a limited range but harmonics also come into effect. MP3 is even worse. listen to an any generic MP3 player through a 'proper' (uncoloured) hi-fi amp and speakers and without any equalisation it WILL sound rubbish and you will be able to hear the compression especially when listened to back to back.

(just had a hearing test by the way,and passed!)

however, it would be difficult to play an lp in the car!
and playlists are quite handy too!

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2006, 6:57 am

High quality mp3s can be pretty damn awesome with a good system..

I think cd's took off mainly because of affordability (to produce and to buy)

Would I be right in thinking they're much cheaper to make than lps?

Mp3 is even cheaper, and its leading the next stage in the audio revolution.

Meaning..

Radio came about, many complained about artist rights etc, now the radio is a way to promote.

Mp3 came about, many compained about artist rights etc, now mp3 is becoming a way to promote.

To me it seems the older ones don't die out, they simply become used for different purposes.

SpectreWithin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Nov 2006, 7:50 pm

I think LPs can sound better than CDs, especially with older music when the recording was done analog. But CDs are just so much more convenient to use and really there is not a lot of music available easily on LP anymore except through second-hand. LPs now seem to be the domain of very specialized niche markets like audiophiles and a few genres of music still occasionally release new LPs. But digital is the dominant medium now (CD or MP3) so to get a wide range of music I'd have to go with that.

I've heard there is some work being done to make higher-definition CDs that are truer to analog sound - but I haven't been keeping up with that area.