Page 5 of 12 [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next

Do you like windows??
Poll ended at 27 May 2013, 4:22 pm
I use it regularly, it is my favourite operating system 30%  30%  [ 39 ]
I only use it because i dont know how to use any others 5%  5%  [ 7 ]
I have a dual boot and use two operating systems 16%  16%  [ 20 ]
I only use it because of its compatibility 17%  17%  [ 22 ]
I dont like and i dont use it 23%  23%  [ 30 ]
I dont really mind 8%  8%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 128

Shorttail
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jun 2012, 12:03 pm

01001011 wrote:
That proves Linux is crap. Command lines belong to the last century.

So long as Vim and Emacs can be operated faster than any IDE requiring mouse movement, I dare say that is incorrect.

Kumorigoe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jun 2012, 12:47 pm

If you're a fast, accurate typist, then yes, CLI is faster for *some* functions. Not all.

I work in a corporate environment, and we are still running XP. We're getting ready to upgrade to Windows 7.

Keniichi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 7:40 pm

I grew up with Windows, andI notice its bugs. Some programs though I like of windows. I mainly like its setup. However I know of other programs aswell(most of them Iv tried on friends computers andliked however their not compatible with lappy).

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 8:31 pm

01001011 wrote:
lau wrote:
Code:
apt-get update&&apt-get upgrade
which I use to just see whether there are any interesting updates happening.

Wrong. There are many situations in which the command line is an easier and faster way to do things. For example, in my work as a research assistant it is far nicer to use the command line functions than the GUIs.

kra17
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 11:07 pm

01001011 wrote:
lau wrote:
Code:

Not really. CLI is very useful for stuff like automation.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 11:46 pm

lau wrote:
MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:

Ubuntu [coarse slang intransitive verb usage deleted] more with update notifications than Windows does. I hope with Windows 8 they've figured out that "the answer is yes, now do it and [coarse slang imperative deleted]".

With Ubuntu, say, you can always tick the update manager's box to install updates without asking... or use something like:
Code:

Naturally, you have no real choice with Microsoft, as they assume you are too stupid to make one.

It's not my business if the OS wants to update itself. I just don't care. I have 40 things to do in 8 hours. If updates start getting installed that degrade my experience as a user, I'll start caring, but that's never happened. With the exception of the "big" upgrade from Ubuntu 10.10 to 11.04 that cost me an entire DAY because it screwed up my computer and was generally half baked (or also the time Android updated itself - I really wish that had never happened). Service packs are one thing, upgrading my entire OS version is something I will do when it pleases me to, not when I'm nagged.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 11:58 pm

kra17 wrote:
01001011 wrote:
lau wrote:
Code:

Not really. CLI is very useful for stuff like automation.

CLI is certainly useful, but I need a fully baked GUI and the only thing fully baked about Linux is the kernel and to a somewhat lesser extent the GNU tools. And now that I think about it, the kernel is starting to get crusty.

I can't think of a single thing in any distribution that's been added beyond the kernel and GNU tools that has made me think "they really nailed this". Although the Ubuntu installer came within 20% of that. I have an iPhone, and the things Apple didn't nail are outnumbered by the things they did. At least insofar as users are concerned. Developers may be another story.

An important feature every OS should have that none do is the ability to run entirely as a user mode app within another OS. When someone does this I will be impressed.

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 8:21 am

I really don't care about the OS, but about the programs. I just use the OS that guarantees me access to those programs. 95% of times it means Windows (the other 5% means OSX).

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 2:18 pm

I've been using Windows 8 preview for about 2 weeks. I like it. One of the things I like most is it eliminates the need for some 3rd party software I used to need because they're built in now. These include:

1. Anti-virus
2. Anti-malware
3. DVD burner
4. ISO drive
5. Registry cleaner
6. Internet browser. I used to used Chrome but IE 10 is robust & super firewalled, so...
7. Firewall software
8. Adobe Flash (built in to IE 10)
9. Adobe Reader
10. More robust versions of WordPad, Windows Reader and Paint. I'm not saying they'll replace Microsoft Word or Adobe Photoshop, but they're good for a basic substitute.

Also, this is only preview software. When it becomes a full bore OS, it'll be hard to match. If it takes off it'll do a lot of damage to 3rd party developers. The virus makers will especially be the most affected. Norton, AVG, Panda - expect them to cry foul. But it makes the new OS lighter, more robust, and less likely to give you the dreaded BSOD.

Shorttail
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jun 2012, 4:15 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
6. Internet browser. I used to used Chrome but IE 10 is robust & super firewalled, so...

But does it have No-Script? :P

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 5:43 pm

It doesn't have No Script. You do have the options of disabling Active Scripting under the Security tab of Internet Options. You can also disable Java Script in Internet Options. IE 10 also has ActiveX Filtering, InPrivate Browsing, Tracking Protection, Pop Up filtering, etc. All of these combined with the new revamped & expanded Defender built into Windows 8 seems like a strong step in the right direction.

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jun 2012, 10:37 pm

01001011 wrote:
lau wrote:
Code:

Besides, there are hundreds of Linux distro, many mutually incompatible. There are even more components, all under some incomprehensible code names. How can anyone find the right package that meets all dependences of his particular system AND solves his particular problem? No wonder Linux is, and will always the minority.

p.s. I turn my windows update off - I am not connected to broadband all the time.

I don't think Windows enthusiasts understand the power of the command line. It doesn't belong in the last century as this poster here seems to think. It allows you to harness the raw power of the OS! That's exactly what a Windows user would say though. You are used to being babied by windows and its GUI. Linux can be intimidating to outsiders and beginners. So your response is quite understandable!

People hate what they don't know and hate what they can't understand. I for one love Linux because I love that its an open source platform! I can control the entire system from a console. The power and freedom it gives you. Unlike MS Windows. Which is the complete opposite!

It always bothered me why people develope open source software on a closed source platform. What challenge does windows provide anyway? It doesn't allow the growth that Linux does either!

I would be the happiest man alive if windows became obsolete. Sadly it never will happen though because we will always have those people who need the crutch that Windows provides. The non-techy people.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 11:06 pm

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
An important feature every OS should have that none do is the ability to run entirely as a user mode app within another OS. When someone does this I will be impressed.

Xp mode does a good job of hiding virtualisation from the end user once it is setup, I think microsoft did a pretty good job of that.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 2:09 am

some W8 questions-
will it run programs that run on W7 without any problems? can it upgrade an existing W7 installation or does it require a clean install? how much more system-resource-intensive will it be compared with W7 [which is already a resource hog]?

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2012, 2:22 am

auntblabby wrote:
some W8 questions-
will it run programs that run on W7 without any problems? can it upgrade an existing W7 installation or does it require a clean install? how much more system-resource-intensive will it be compared with W7 [which is already a resource hog]?

you should have a look at the new UEFI BIOS that will come with Windows 8. They are trying to lock the Linux platform out and Microsoft users in.

I think the way it works is if you ever want to upgrade in the future, it will cost you. Being that the new BIOS locks you in to one specific OS.

I could be wrong and someone please correct if that's the case.

TalksToCats
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jun 2012, 2:44 am

If all the programmes I want to use were available in Linux I think I'd abandon Windows altogether.

I currently use both, and android on my phone.

However I'm only semi-techy so am happier using a GUI most of the time and command line occasionally, I think the GUIs available for Linux are much better than they used to be.

I'm old enough to have used DOS without windows so command line doesn't bother me, however I'm not very good at remembering commands so a GUI makes my life easier, plus I'm more of a visual person.

Some bits of Linux are still a bit of a mystery to me as I use it less than Windows. I especially still don't get how install programmes, it's not helped by the fact that my SO understands Linux very well and so I just ask him to do it :)

Must learn more soon.