Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

CornerPuzzlePieces
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 27 Feb 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 308
Location: B.C Canada

29 May 2012, 11:14 pm

Is it just me or are the masses all just monkeys moving their thumb appendages across these new devices?

They are made by VERY bright people who use all of humanities combined learning and knowledge, and this produces products that the masses can purchase. Free of that knowledge.

I myself, make an effort to understand. Be it internet research or otherwise I WANT to know how it is made. Why it works. Etc. Maybe one day I can design things of this standard.

Lots don't even care.

It irritates me when some backwater religiotard yokel/ most of the dumb brainwashed kids my age in my area/ get their grubby palms on something that their backwards book basically forbids.

If you believe in something so ancient, you should be forced to live in an amish community. No electricity no nothing. End of story. Don't like it? Well then drop the damn bible and we'll consider letting you back.

Freedom of religion is a joke. It should not be acceptable to spread false truths any longer. Not while ignoring the progress we've made. We have gotten farther now, accept it or be left behind.

If we ever, as a society lose that technology in a freak disaster?? The atm's and the communications network goes down? We're all screwed. Most of the population has no idea how anything works. All they need is the money to buy things.

It's sad, and it's holding society, and by extension me. Back.



redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Apr 2012
Age: 58
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,008
Location: Seattle, WA

29 May 2012, 11:30 pm

Oh, oh! I feel a church burning coming on!



ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 84
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,502
Location: New Jersey

29 May 2012, 11:33 pm

CornerPuzzlePieces wrote:

Freedom of religion is a joke. It should not be acceptable to spread false truths any longer. Not while ignoring the progress we've made. We have gotten farther now, accept it or be left behind.

.


Is a "false truth" anything like a square circle?

ruveyn



CornerPuzzlePieces
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 27 Feb 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 308
Location: B.C Canada

29 May 2012, 11:42 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
Oh, oh! I feel a church burning coming on!


I've had people refuse to be friends because of religion. They brought it on themselves/

And yes! False "truth" should exist no more than a square circle.. and yet it still does.



edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Aug 2006
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,427
Location: Ontario

29 May 2012, 11:45 pm

CornerPuzzlePieces wrote:
religiotard


Using bigotry against a disability as some sort of insult, by someone who seems to want society to be more progressive, strikes me as quite ironic.

Quote:
Freedom of religion is a joke. It should not be acceptable to spread false truths any longer.


I'm not too comfortable with this, much as I'd like to see religion abandoned. I don't like the idea of thought crimes, or the government defining what truth is.



CornerPuzzlePieces
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 27 Feb 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 308
Location: B.C Canada

29 May 2012, 11:52 pm

edgewaters wrote:
CornerPuzzlePieces wrote:
religiotard


Using bigotry against a disability as some sort of insult, by someone who seems to want society to be more progressive, strikes me as quite ironic.

Quote:
Freedom of religion is a joke. It should not be acceptable to spread false truths any longer.


I'm not too comfortable with this, much as I'd like to see religion abandoned. I don't like the idea of thought crimes, or the government defining what truth is.


You stick with that if you wish.. im sick of being all politically correct while being outed by all these people as if im the crazy one. You got the message yes? Then the term has served its purpose.

How about we make the bible age restricted? That hurts no-one. It even saves some trees.. :!:



redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Apr 2012
Age: 58
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,008
Location: Seattle, WA

30 May 2012, 12:05 am

Boys and girls! Here's your thought for the day: the religious don't know any better. They haven't develop the intellectual capacity of original thought. Seek peace within yourself by forgiving them the error of their ways so you may continue having a fruitful and productive life.



CornerPuzzlePieces
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 27 Feb 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 308
Location: B.C Canada

30 May 2012, 12:12 am

redrobin62 wrote:
Boys and girls! Here's your thought for the day: the religious don't know any better. They haven't develop the intellectual capacity of original thought. Seek peace within yourself by forgiving them the error of their ways so you may continue having a fruitful and productive life.


You see this is just too passive for me now, they are out there RIGHT NOW thumbing their devices, browsing the internet. All while devoting their time to something that actively opposes all development/

That's just completely insane! How can we just let that slide?



edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Aug 2006
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,427
Location: Ontario

30 May 2012, 12:50 am

CornerPuzzlePieces wrote:
That's just completely insane! How can we just let that slide?


Because anything we do threatens to cause worse harm.

Here's a test for public policy: would you want it to be applied to you and/or the groups you affiliate with? The thing is, the influence of various groups fluctuates, and once you break some aspect of pluralism, you've opened Pandora's box and given possibility for every sort of intolerance you can imagine to come through into policy. You establish a precedent, a very bad one. Perhaps with good intent but even so.

Establishing a precedent that anything that hinders progress can be eliminated by the government could result in all sorts of terrible things. Progress is a relative concept.

Pluralism must be advanced, not contracted - this is the essence of traditional secularism in Western cultures.



Scandium
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2011
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 784
Location: Orange County, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Cluster

30 May 2012, 2:03 am

How can you speak of neurodiversity, when you cannot accept other forms of diversity?


Most people may ignore the inner workings of technology, but they do study social interaction very well. Society was built by communication as much as it was by technology.


Just my opinion.



Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Feb 2012
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 825
Location: Norway

30 May 2012, 2:20 am

CornerPuzzlePieces wrote:
They are made by VERY bright people who use all of humanities combined learning and knowledge, and this produces products that the masses can purchase. Free of that knowledge.

I myself, make an effort to understand. Be it internet research or otherwise I WANT to know how it is made. Why it works. Etc. Maybe one day I can design things of this standard.

I let the bakers bake my bread, and butchers carve my meat, I don't really have to know how they do it, I just enjoy the taste and luxury of our modern society.
I let Ikea make my furnitures and Philips make my tv, I don't HAVE to know how it's made.

I do however research lots of stuff. I find programming very interesting, and when I were single and surfed some dating websites, I decided they were not good enough, so I started making my own. I do learn how certain things work, but I don't see how it's possible to know how everything works.

We all have our specialities.


_________________
AQ: 42/50 || SQ: 32/80 || IQ(RPM): 138 || IRI-empathytest(PT/EC/FS/PD): 10(-7)/16(-3)/19(+3)/19(+10) || Alexithymia: 148/185 || Aspie-quiz: AS 133/200, NT 56/200


cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Apr 2008
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,296
Location: Near Panama, City Florida

30 May 2012, 4:42 am

CornerPuzzlePieces wrote:
Is it just me or are the masses all just monkeys moving their thumb appendages across these new devices?

They are made by VERY bright people who use all of humanities combined learning and knowledge, and this produces products that the masses can purchase. Free of that knowledge.

I myself, make an effort to understand. Be it internet research or otherwise I WANT to know how it is made. Why it works. Etc. Maybe one day I can design things of this standard.

Lots don't even care.

It irritates me when some backwater religiotard yokel/ most of the dumb brainwashed kids my age in my area/ get their grubby palms on something that their backwards book basically forbids.

If you believe in something so ancient, you should be forced to live in an amish community. No electricity no nothing. End of story. Don't like it? Well then drop the damn bible and we'll consider letting you back.

Freedom of religion is a joke. It should not be acceptable to spread false truths any longer. Not while ignoring the progress we've made. We have gotten farther now, accept it or be left behind.

If we ever, as a society lose that technology in a freak disaster?? The atm's and the communications network goes down? We're all screwed. Most of the population has no idea how anything works. All they need is the money to buy things.

It's sad, and it's holding society, and by extension me. Back.


The so called religious apes, as you call them, will likely get along fine. The Amish know how to do nicely without the modern technology you think should be unavailable to those who happen to believe in the Bible. You say the Bible forbids the use of tools or technology. Can you give a specific book, chapter and verse where this prohibition is found?

As far as Bible believers being dumb apes, you might want to reconsider your position. Sir Isaac Newton, who happened to be a physicist and the father of calculus, was a very devout believer in the Bible. Albert Einstein also believed in a Creator and quoted from scripture. I'm also a Bible Believer and am a former believer in the Evolutionist faith. I am also a computer programmer, a graduate of the Navy's Nuclear Field "A" School, and have a degree in Electronic Engineering. I love researching and learning how things work. By the way, it was my education in nuclear physics which led me to have serious doubts about the accuracy of radio dating as far as millions of years go.

You say that it should be unacceptable to spread "false truths" around. Tell me then, who should be the one to determine what is true and what is not? I can name some societies where it is or was against the law to spread "false truths". These include Communist China, North Korea, Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, Eastern Europe under Communism, Europe under the Inquisition, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Kazakhstan, and many others. Each of these societies (while in existence) are or were very religious and sought to impose "the truth" on others.

There are stupid Jews, Muslims, Christians, Evolutionists, etc. There are also very smart Jews, Muslims, Christians, Evolutionists, etc. You see, bigotry occurs in people of all faiths including Evolutionists. I have atheist friends, and I get along with them fine. They don't believe I'm stupid because of what I believe, and I don't believe they are stupid because of what they believe. I also know of many scientists who believe that Evolution is false. I personally know of one molecular biologist who happens to be a Jehovah's Witness. I know of other scientists who believe that Evolution is true. Many like you claim to want diversity, and yet hate or want to suppress those whose beliefs are different than your own. I was going to ignore this thread, but I decided that it is appropriate to respond and call out prejudice when I see it.
To answer your question, I think it is just you.


_________________
I am AUTISTIC - Always Unique, Totally Interesting, Straight Talking, Intelligently Conversational.
I am also the author of "Tech Tactics Money Saving Secrets" and "Tech Tactics Publishing and Production Secrets."


cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Apr 2008
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,296
Location: Near Panama, City Florida

30 May 2012, 5:15 am

edgewaters wrote:
CornerPuzzlePieces wrote:
That's just completely insane! How can we just let that slide?


Because anything we do threatens to cause worse harm.

Here's a test for public policy: would you want it to be applied to you and/or the groups you affiliate with? The thing is, the influence of various groups fluctuates, and once you break some aspect of pluralism, you've opened Pandora's box and given possibility for every sort of intolerance you can imagine to come through into policy. You establish a precedent, a very bad one. Perhaps with good intent but even so.

Establishing a precedent that anything that hinders progress can be eliminated by the government could result in all sorts of terrible things. Progress is a relative concept.

Pluralism must be advanced, not contracted - this is the essence of traditional secularism in Western cultures.


Here we have someone who makes a bit of logical sense even though I can see dislike for belief in the Bible. This is a very logical argument for tolerance.

CornerPuzzlePieces wrote:
How about we make the bible age restricted? That hurts no-one. It even saves some trees..


Making the Bible age restricted hurts a lot of people. If you want to do that, why not make the teaching of Evolutionism age restricted as well. At least we can remove tax payer support for the teaching of this faith. Think of all the trees that would be saved if the distribution of books preaching Evolutionism were halted. See, the argument can go both ways.


_________________
I am AUTISTIC - Always Unique, Totally Interesting, Straight Talking, Intelligently Conversational.
I am also the author of "Tech Tactics Money Saving Secrets" and "Tech Tactics Publishing and Production Secrets."


Rax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 15 Nov 2011
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 226

30 May 2012, 7:28 am

and I suppose there are no religious smart people out there? In my opinion, Atheism is equally as unlikely as religion, only if you're right and we all rot, it doesn't matter because we're all screwed and we become nothing but dirt. But if We're right and religion is correct. We win and you're screwed/reincarnated/whatever.

Atheism is a lose/draw scenario
Religion is a win/draw scenario.

Theoretically, you should just gun down an entire church until you get killed yourself. Then you can see whos right, who is wrong, and you'll have made a difference to the world.
On a side note. If you do gun down an entire church, you didn't get the idea from me, and if any one asked, I tried to stop you.

I'm not a bible thumper, but I don't think you know what you're talking about. Religion is not an enemy and world of pure science may as well be a eugenic dictatorship, or a global nuclear holocaust. You can't tell how things would go.


_________________
You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you're all the same.


Species5618
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 17 Apr 2012
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 55

30 May 2012, 8:37 am

Rax wrote:
and I suppose there are no religious smart people out there? In my opinion, Atheism is equally as unlikely as religion, only if you're right and we all rot, it doesn't matter because we're all screwed and we become nothing but dirt. But if We're right and religion is correct. We win and you're screwed/reincarnated/whatever.

Atheism is a lose/draw scenario
Religion is a win/draw scenario.


There's a first. I've never seen someone use game theory to argue for being religious. Nevertheless, if I "believe" simply because it improves the possible outcome for me when I die, what kind of "faith" would that be?

I'll stick with what I can see, hear, feel or measure.



Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jan 2011
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,022
Location: in my own little tamarillo jungle,

30 May 2012, 8:48 am

Species5618 wrote:
Rax wrote:
and I suppose there are no religious smart people out there? In my opinion, Atheism is equally as unlikely as religion, only if you're right and we all rot, it doesn't matter because we're all screwed and we become nothing but dirt. But if We're right and religion is correct. We win and you're screwed/reincarnated/whatever.

Atheism is a lose/draw scenario
Religion is a win/draw scenario.


There's a first. I've never seen someone use game theory to argue for being religious. Nevertheless, if I "believe" simply because it improves the possible outcome for me when I die, what kind of "faith" would that be?

I'll stick with what I can see, hear, feel or measure.


especially in light of how many people have suffered because of that "win/draw" scenario,(how anyone would use that argument is beyond me)


_________________
//through chaos comes complexity//

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.