Toucan
Toucan

22 May 2012, 11:23 pm

is this possible afterall im posting this from a cheap android device

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 11:30 pm

I'm curious myself. I'm also typing this on an android device. It's Android 3.0. I'm gettîng my real computer back from the shop this week complete with a new 64gb SSD which I'll probably partition to have half Windows and half Linux.

bigbadbeast2007
Toucan
Toucan

22 May 2012, 11:50 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
I'm curious myself. I'm also typing this on an android device. It's Android 3.0. I'm gettîng my real computer back from the shop this week complete with a new 64gb SSD which I'll probably partition to have half Windows and half Linux.

Isn't Android based on linux?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2012, 12:03 am

I think so. I'll probably use a Ubuntu distro. I've used it in the past but its internet connectivity was lacking. Also, I use Cubase for sequencing music. The reason I am interested in Linux is its purported stability, not to mention its got far fewer people trying to infect it with viruses and malware. :sunny:

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2012, 1:06 am

I have an Asus Transformer which is like a small laptop (10.1" screen), and it runs Android 4.0 (aka ICS). You can remove the screen and use it as a standalone tablet (touch and all), but I usually run it with the keyboard and use a combination of keystrokes and touch to control the device. I really like it. I rarely use my work laptop these days, even though it runs Linux (Xubuntu) and Windows.

I did not bother taking the Windows/Linux laptop with me the last few times I travelled, either for work and for pleasure, as my Android laptop/tablet has an office suite, browser, email client, and everything else I need (ebook apps, movie app, games).

I certainly would be interested in an Android desktop device, provided it came with a touch screen, although I happily use Linux at home and at work on my desktop machines.

Android uses a Linux kernel, but has a different GUI to the X11 system found on Ubuntu and other desktop Linux distributions. You can even get a terminal app if you want to try simple command line stuff on an Android box. Overall, the Transformer is a great portable entertainment system and lightweight/portable business machine.

It is possible to get a version of Android that runs on x86 chips - I have one that runs in a VMware virtual machine. I have no idea what apps are available for it as I have only played with it a couple of times.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

23 May 2012, 8:42 am

What's the point? :?
As Android simply uses various bits of a typical Linux distribution plus a whole stack more designed specifically for mobile devices, you'd really be better off by just running some Linux desktop distribution.

Kumorigoe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 May 2012, 9:00 am

I find that while tablets, whether they run Android, iOS, or a Windows variant, tend to be able to do most of the things that the majority of computer users do. But they don't excel at all of them.

In my opinion, a tablet is a great device for the consumption of content. Text, pictures, video, webpages, and the like. Where they stumple is the creation of content.

Can you imagine trying to research, take notes, collate data, and then write a term paper or a thesis on a tablet? I can't. This is where my dektop excels, as I can have multiple windows open at once, glancing back and forth, taking notes, and building my document. I'd kill myself trying to do that on a single 9.7 inch screen.

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2012, 11:33 pm

Cornflake wrote:
What's the point? :?
As Android simply uses various bits of a typical Linux distribution plus a whole stack more designed specifically for mobile devices, you'd really be better off by just running some Linux desktop distribution.

For travelling or sitting up in bed, I want an entertainment device. The Android tablet does that very well and is light weight.

For programming and similar keyboard activities, I use my Linux desktop with the 24" screen and the decent sized hard disk.

Different devices for different purposes.

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 9:29 am

I agree with Cornflake on this matter. Android OS isnt perfect for everyday computer use. Just not desktop oriented enough.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

24 May 2012, 3:42 pm

Madbones wrote:
Android OS isnt perfect for everyday computer use.
Indeed - because it's intentionally designed to not do that.
It's designed specifically for mobile devices which as Kumorigoe pointed out, are primarily for the consumption of content.

Guess what a device which looks, feels and works like a desktop PC is called?
A desktop PC... :wink:

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 5:02 pm

I hate the Android OS, but it's indeed doable. There's x86 Android kernels, http://www.android-x86.org/releases/releasenote-4-0-rc1 Here you go for Android 4.0 for x86. Should be about as easy as downloading and burning (or maybe booting from a flash drive) the live CD, and tada. Done. One big problem is most of them don't seem to have ethernet support, wifi only. The advantage of Android OS on a desktop is you get all the Android apps on your desktop.

I think Android more or less sucks, and it's part of Google's plan of taking over the world, but uh...go for it, if you want Android on a desktop, you can surely have it.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

24 May 2012, 5:12 pm

1000Knives wrote:
The advantage of Android OS on a desktop is you get all the Android apps on your desktop.
Heh - but no phone hardware to use them with... :lol:

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 3:14 pm

Android is pretty Java centric and I believe its performance suffers as a result.

Yes I'm aware Java VMs are pretty quick these days.