Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

theSPECTRE
Toucan
Toucan

02 Mar 2005, 8:18 pm

is this programming language any good? does anyone know of a website where I can find out more?

macvincent
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Mar 2005, 9:23 pm

Q1: I have always found java to be difficult (but I'm only a teen), but it is popular.

Q2: http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/

merien_took
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Mar 2005, 10:02 pm

I hated it the first time I tried to learn it. But at that time I had only ever used BASIC. Now, 4 years later, I really like it. I'm in a class on Java right now and have enjoyed it a lot. I use the Java API.

nitraine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Mar 2005, 3:57 am

I am converting a web based Java Applet to ActiveX (C++) because it ran too slow on < 3 GHz CPU.

Java is a fun language to program (especially when you get used to using NetBeans API).

It can be slow when doing "real-time" operations.

If speed is a concern try C++.

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2005, 5:40 am

I never liked Java because of the performance issues. I'm a game programmer through and through, so I can't tolerate any loss of speed.

I always have trouble learning a language on my own, since I can never get myself to focus on it. I always just leave it to work on something I already know how to do. However, I can learn languages like Java very easily if I have a good teacher. I don't know of any good books or sites, but if you can get someone who knows the language to show you the basics, that might be the best way to start.

serine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Mar 2005, 12:47 pm

what do you mean by game programming, you got a speciality or you just code as much as you can ? for a compagny ?

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2005, 2:14 pm

I program PC games in my free time. It's not a job, and so far I've always given away my games as freeware. It doesn't consume my life or anything, but I guess it's the closest thing I have to an AS "obsession".

Rekkr
Raven
Raven

03 Mar 2005, 3:04 pm

I don't like Java. I am more of a C/C++ person. The only good thing about Java is that it works the same on almost every system, or so I've heard. The main problem with Java: it's so freakin' slow.

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2005, 3:33 pm

Java is the spawn of Satan! I just can't get into the OO mindset I'm afraid..... I don't want to bung code into my programs that some spotty herbert or other wrote donkey's years ago - I want to write my own code to do stuff, dang blast it!

And I get so wound up by coders who don't put their '{'s onto newlines..... And as for coders who don't even bother using '{}' around single line if statements...... :evil:

V111
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Mar 2005, 8:09 pm

have found very little use for Java on web sites it's buggy bloated as for non web uses for java why cross platform com is overated.

merien_took
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Mar 2005, 8:21 pm

rekkr wrote:
The main problem with Java: it's so freakin' slow.

I've heard this about Java. Have you tried Java 1.5? It was just released in December and they've really sped up the Java Virtual Machine to the point where it runs about as fast (so I've heard) as C++.

TAKFASH wrote:
Java is the spawn of Satan! I just can't get into the OO mindset I'm afraid..... I don't want to bung code into my programs that some spotty herbert or other wrote donkey's years ago - I want to write my own code to do stuff, dang blast it!

And I get so wound up by coders who don't put their '{'s onto newlines..... And as for coders who don't even bother using '{}' around single line if statements...... Evil or Very Mad

OOP can be really useful for reusing your own code, too. And I don't know what spotty herbert you're talking about, but if you mean the people at Sun, you can always write your own stuff, too and use that instead. All their methods are written in Java. Also, I program exactly the way you say bugs you, but I think I'll stop contradicting everything everyone says for a bit.

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2005, 8:30 pm

merien_took wrote:
OOP can be really useful for reusing your own code, too. And I don't know what spotty herbert you're talking about, but if you mean the people at Sun, you can always write your own stuff, too and use that instead. All their methods are written in Java. Also, I program exactly the way you say bugs you, but I think I'll stop contradicting everything everyone says for a bit.

Code reuse? That's what cut and paste is for! Why should I have to go searching through 2 dozen DAOs, Models, Interfaces and whatever to have to find some farty little bit of code, and have to use an editor the size and complexity of Jodrell Bank to be able to keep track of it all...... If you can't reasonably code in a language using notepad then it is to be avoided at all costs I say..... Oh, that Ned Ludd...... What a guy he was..... <sigh>

I just hope for both of our sakes I never have to change one of your programs anyway matey..... :wink: I bet you don't use consistent 4 space indentation either do you? Grrrrrrrr...... :evil:

merien_took
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Mar 2005, 8:41 pm

TAFKASH wrote:
Code reuse? That's what cut and paste is for! Why should I have to go searching through 2 dozen DAOs, Models, Interfaces and whatever to have to find some farty little bit of code, and have to use an editor the size and complexity of Jodrell Bank to be able to keep track of it all...... If you can't reasonably code in a language using notepad then it is to be avoided at all costs I say..... Oh, that Ned Ludd...... What a guy he was..... <sigh>

I just hope for both of our sakes I never have to change one of your programs anyway matey..... :wink: I bet you don't use consistent 4 space indentation either do you? Grrrrrrrr...... :evil:

Copy and paste is cool until you realize you have to change one little thing and have to spend half an hour going through your code line by line trying to find each thing to change. And then compiling, finding things you missed, fixing, recompiling, finding something else, etc.....

I use notedpad for php, html, and css and emacs (since I have to do that in unix) for java. Emacs is about as complicated as notepad since all I can really do is save and open files. There are supposed to be tabbed windows, but I can't find them. In notepad, I use 3 spaces for indents, but emacs is awesome because it does the indents for you. You just hit tab and it puts the line right where it should be. :)

Sorry, I think I'm being a bit too serious. :oops: Code how you like. All that matters is that it does what it's supposed to. :wink:

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2005, 8:48 pm

merien_took wrote:
Copy and paste is cool until you realize you have to change one little thing and have to spend half an hour going through your code line by line trying to find each thing to change. And then compiling, finding things you missed, fixing, recompiling, finding something else, etc.....

My code is perfect every time..... What are you implying? How dare you suggest I'm not a coding genius! :wink:

merien_took wrote:
.....but emacs is awesome because it does the indents for you. You just hit tab and it puts the line right where it should be......

AUTO INDENTATION?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Blasphemy!! !! !! ! I think I need a lie down......... Or maybe some COBOL changes will calm my frayed nerves..... Column 8 "IDENTIFICATION DIVISION", oh how I do love and miss thee........<sigh>

Last edited by TAFKASH on 03 Mar 2005, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

merien_took
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Mar 2005, 8:59 pm

:lol: That reminds me, I really want to learn some lower-level languages like COBOL or PASCAL. They look like a lot of fun. :D

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2005, 9:06 pm

merien_took wrote:
:lol: That reminds me, I really want to learn some lower-level languages like COBOL or PASCAL. They look like a lot of fun. :D

JAVA to COBOL..... that'd be an experience..... None of that:

for (i++;0;1){String doStuff(i).getString = new String();}

malarkey in COBOL matey..... Its commands are more like:

GET STUFF FROM THE TABLE AND BUNG IT IN THE OUTPUT FILE.

Now THAT's programming... A language that calls a spade a dirty great stinking wood and metal pole thing with a flattened end that you use for moving soil around with......