Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

moonnymph
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Jun 2012, 5:58 pm

What do you suggest I learn? I took QBasic in college, but that was the farthest I went computer programming-wise, now I want to learn a new language. I am not interested in making webpages, etc. I instead would like to be able to make applications that can be used cross-platform (pcs, phones, etc.) Which language do you suggest? A friend suggested I learn JAVA. What are your thoughts?

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 8:23 pm

C++

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 8:26 pm

Zilog assembly language

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jun 2012, 9:05 pm

C programming to start! Being that most languages today are based around it, makes it a great starting point. If you havent programmed in awhile, I would start with C before C++ but I have a feeling if you start with C, you will fall in love with it and wont want to touch another language lol At least that was the way it was for me. Then, I moved on to Assembly.

I still will not use C because I will not cheat on my baby(C), and anything I can do in C++ can be done in C and most likely vice versa. not sure I have never used C++ a day in my life and refuse to. I would rather use python!

Evinceo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jun 2012, 11:45 pm

I'll second python, it's an easy step up from basic and towards C.
Once you get the basic algol-60ish concepts in your head, it's all vocabulary.

I'd recommend not using Java as a second language, since it's obsession with objects seems to be at the expense of several other concepts, and you won't know what you're missing.

Shorttail
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Jun 2012, 5:46 am

amboxer21 wrote:
I have a feeling if you start with C, you will fall in love with it and wont want to touch another language lol

Strange, I couldn't wait to jump on C++ while learning C. It felt like writing Scheme. =/

OP, try INTERCAL, Brainfuck or Whitespace.

Edit: What the hell? Valid programming languages are censored? Maybe this will work...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainfuck

Edit: ...something funny is going on here. <.< >.> <.< >.>
The language is named after the vital organ that takes care of all computations concatenated with a popular short word for disregarding.
It's good because it only contains eight command characters, all of which are easy to remember (they are [ ] > < , . + -). It's 8/3 times more characters than Whitespace, but at least they are all visible. :3

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 8:10 pm

Java like your friend suggested.
Maybe even Qt? I havent used Qt before, but it looks pretty damn awesome.

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 2:07 am

Qt is a framework, not a language.

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 6:39 am

Derp, my bad. Ment use the Qt framework.

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 6:42 am

Yeah, it is quite good.

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 6:48 am

Burzum wrote:
Yeah, it is quite good.

Sounds awesome to me. I am going to really look into it as I am itching to do some Linux development.
Looks to be a nice little framework to work with.
Havent done C++ in ages. I think I might use the Qt framework for a project this weekend.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 12:20 pm

Learn Ruby using the website Hackety Hack! JavaScript through Code Academy is another good option. I'd recommend against learning C++ as your first programming language since QBasic from years ago.