Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 9:08 pm

I've been researching them alot and had my eye on a Mac Air. I waited until the 2012 models were announced. I forked over the $1729 for one. :-( I like the idea of Auto-Save for the college pourpose of research papers that I'll be writing. Also my friend Chris a WP member who I chat with has Macs and adores them. He says when you delete something it's GONE Like your Iphone/Ipad. That is unheard of on a Windows PC!! I have x86 files and 100+GB taken up of what I HAVE NO IDEA! and tons of "If you delete this file you'll damage the computer" stuff. It's confusing. Chris made Mac sound simple and if it's anything like Ipad I'll adore it but that cost is KILLER! I got the small education discount which got me a FREE $100 giftcard in the deal but still that's ALOT for a computer. My family says the only $1700 type item in the house is the refrigerator! I hope with the Mac Air I get what I paid for. (in a good way!) :-( Does anyone have any thoughts on Macs?

Thanks!

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 9:34 pm

I wish you rotsa ruck with your Mac! I'd intended to get one because of their known stability over Windows. I've been using MS products so long it seems almost treasonous to switch. I keep crossing my fingers and hoping that they will come up with a better Windows. I'm currently using Windows 8 Release Preview as we speak. It's rock sold stable so far. My computer is an MSI WindTop AE2420. I changed the harddrive and put in an OCZ SSD one. I would say now that my computer SHOULD have the stability of a Mac. :D

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 10:51 pm

I have an old mac mini with power pc architecture. Its probably more obsolete as a 5 year old computer, then pc would be at 10 years. There's very little support for it now,, so I'm thinking of putting linux on it.

scarter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jun 2012, 12:30 am

Macs suck.

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 5:00 am

scarter wrote:
Macs suck.

:thumleft:

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 7:57 am

This ******* my opinion******* NOT anyone else's. I like Macs. I collect vintage ones and I have 2 Intel ones. They last forever and their how long til its outdated span is huge.(Heck, I can still use my iMac G4 running Tiger for browsing the web just fine)
They are fantastically reliable and everything works smoothly. You also have the power of Unix backing it too. The Terminal on OSX is awesome.
So in my opinion, they are awesome. But thats me and not anyone else, everyone is in titled to an opinion! What suits some people wont suit others.
Hope I am not going to cause a Mac Vs PC war. :lol:

PS:
Linux is almost as awesome as OSX. Have you tried Ubuntu or something?

Kumorigoe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jun 2012, 11:14 am

Madbones wrote:
Hope I am not going to cause a Mac Vs PC war

Oh, you won't. The war started decades ago and still rages to this day. I am on the side of Windows.

My biggest complaint about the new Macs, and lacs in general, is the lack of upgrade options. And now Apple is going out of their way to make the notebooks completely unrepairable by anyone except them. iFixit did a teardown of the new MBP with the Retina display and declared it the least friendly DIY repair notbook ever. The SSD is proprietary. The RAM is soldered DIRECTLY to the logic board. The display is fused to the lid, and the battery is GLUED into place. So no, I don't think I'll ever buy an Apple computer.

Shorttail
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jun 2012, 11:17 am

Macs are awesome if you want to show other people you like spending your money on overpriced stuff.

In before mac hate.

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 11:28 am

Kumorigoe wrote:
Madbones wrote:
Hope I am not going to cause a Mac Vs PC war

Oh, you won't. The war started decades ago and still rages to this day. I am on the side of Windows.

My biggest complaint about the new Macs, and lacs in general, is the lack of upgrade options. And now Apple is going out of their way to make the notebooks completely unrepairable by anyone except them. iFixit did a teardown of the new MBP with the Retina display and declared it the least friendly DIY repair notbook ever. The SSD is proprietary. The RAM is soldered DIRECTLY to the logic board. The display is fused to the lid, and the battery is GLUED into place. So no, I don't think I'll ever buy an Apple computer.

Really!? The other thing I really didn't like is the fact they removed the DVD drive...

Reindeer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jun 2012, 11:51 am

I like the part that the OS has workspaces as I use Linux myself and the macs aesthetics are brilliant ;)

But I really don't like anything else about mac than that >.< no saying it's bad I just think that Linux is more powerful than windows or mac.

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 11:55 am

Reindeer wrote:
I like the part that the OS has workspaces as I use Linux myself and the macs aesthetics are brilliant ;)

But I really don't like anything else about mac than that >.< no saying it's bad I just think that Linux is more powerful than windows or mac.

Agreed. I have 1 mac machine for my main work and a Linux machine by my side for other work = best of both worlds! :D

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 12:14 pm

Like a Mercedes Benz, the hardware is fantastic, but also like a Mercedes Benz, it's difficult to impossible to upgrade yourself unless your profession is working on Macs. --Expect to pay a premium for the disadvantage of owning one.

LookTwice
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jun 2012, 1:19 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
I've been researching them alot and had my eye on a Mac Air. I waited until the 2012 models were announced. I forked over the $1729 for one. :-( I like the idea of Auto-Save for the college pourpose of research papers that I'll be writing. Also my friend Chris a WP member who I chat with has Macs and adores them. He says when you delete something it's GONE Like your Iphone/Ipad. That is unheard of on a Windows PC!! I have x86 files and 100+GB taken up of what I HAVE NO IDEA! and tons of "If you delete this file you'll damage the computer" stuff. It's confusing. Chris made Mac sound simple and if it's anything like Ipad I'll adore it but that cost is KILLER! I got the small education discount which got me a FREE $100 giftcard in the deal but still that's ALOT for a computer. My family says the only $1700 type item in the house is the refrigerator! I hope with the Mac Air I get what I paid for. (in a good way!) :-( Does anyone have any thoughts on Macs?

Thanks!

The Air is pretty, apart from that, a MacBook Pro would've been better, at least from a processing power per $ perspective - it might be different if you're interested in the how the laptop affects your social status. If you ask me, $1800 is way overpriced...for a laptop or a fridge.
Auto-Save? This is usually a feature of the software you're using, not the OS.
Deleting files? Well, you obviously aren't allowed to delete parts of the OS, for a good reason. That's not limited to Windows. On a Mac you just never see the files that you wouldn't be able to delete without getting into trouble.

IMO Mac OS UI is clunky as hell and customization is next to impossible. The "finder" is absolutely terrible, I usually resort to the command line if I have to do anything with files.

Apple is a bit like overbearing parents who can't let go of their control over their kids once they grow up. If you're fine with Apple shoving "the apple way" down your throat and not giving you any alternatives, you can still be happy with a Mac though. Bottom line: if you need to be protected from yourself, Macs aren't a bad choice. If you have 100+ GB of files on a windows system without having a clue what it is, you're doing something very wrong.
If on the other hand you have some self-respect and don't like overpaying for being treated like a child, you should steer clear of Apple.

Apart from all that...the MacBook Air is probably the most environmentally harmful gadget ever. Unrecyclable, hard to upgrade and unrepairable.

sliqua-jcooter
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 3:06 pm

I work in IT. My job, all day long, is to fix computers, networks, etc. Any time I spend trying to fix my own machine(s) is essentially time wasted.

I use a mac as my primary workstation because a) the software is awesome b) the hardware is rock solid and c) I don't have to mess with it.

It has the unix userland if I need to modify my hosts file, or setup SSH keys, or mess around with services. But, if I don't need to do any of that, I don't have to touch it.

At the end of the day, the less time I spend maintaining my systems - the more money I make.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 5:01 pm

I agree with the previous poster if it comes down to Mac vs any of the other *nixy systems. I waste less time and am more productive on a Mac. The hardware is pretty solid, I wouldn't say rock solid as I actually tried to use an aluminum tower mac as a hammer once and it just bent and didn't do any good at all. I also am irritated that MacBook Pros do not have more than 2 USB ports or a built-in HDMI port. I believe both are a result of Steve Jobs deliberately being a prick because of his "beliefs".

I still think Apple had a golden opportunity to make something truly earth shattering when they were creating Mac OS X and that for the most part they missed the bus. I usually use Windows because with the exception of its really crusty kernel (with OSX and Linux only being partially crusty) it gets in my way even less.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 5:09 pm

The only real downside to mac is the expense.

Diagnosed in 2005