Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

LookTwice
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jul 2012, 7:49 pm

This is a very philosophical topic, so you will not get many definitive answers. Some people say there is no free will, however there are other ways to interpret the experiments that some people claim prove it.

Two resources I'd like to recommend:
- Yale University course on Death (it makes a pretty nice audio book)
- Consciousness: Confessions of a Romantic Reductionist by Christof Koch

paxfilosoof
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2012, 12:13 am

LookTwice wrote:
This is a very philosophical topic, so you will not get many definitive answers. Some people say there is no free will, however there are other ways to interpret the experiments that some people claim prove it.

Two resources I'd like to recommend:
- Yale University course on Death (it makes a pretty nice audio book)
- Consciousness: Confessions of a Romantic Reductionist by Christof Koch

thank you, I'll look at it.
I first will introduce me to methaphysics :P

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 12:55 pm

One really good documentary on consciousness is called "The Quantum Activist".
I found it on Netflix, I'm certain you can also find it elsewhere.
It's a talk with this quantum physicist from India, named Amit Goswami. He's a really fascinating dude.
He mixes his native Hindu beliefs with science to illustrate how matter is a result of raw cosmic consciousness, not the other way around as modern science would like to believe.

I highly recommend this film.

Diagnosed in 2005

paxfilosoof
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2012, 1:07 pm

pete1061 wrote:
One really good documentary on consciousness is called "The Quantum Activist".
I found it on Netflix, I'm certain you can also find it elsewhere.
It's a talk with this quantum physicist from India, named Amit Goswami. He's a really fascinating dude.
He mixes his native Hindu beliefs with science to illustrate how matter is a result of raw cosmic consciousness, not the other way around as modern science would like to believe.

I highly recommend this film.

thank you very much ! !
I always love the arrogance of western cultures :D,
now they fail :)

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 1:40 pm

Cogs wrote:
VIDEODROME wrote:
We can make decisions within the parameters available to us at a given time.
But the effect of those parameters can significantly limit or restrict your options and choices, pushing you down a path, or ruling out other paths.

Well what was brought up is whether free will is some kind of illusion. I think your statement is correct here but is this arguing our idea of free will is flawed or nonexistent? Either because of limitations in the material world or so many influences like our DNA and family heritage?

Suppose I come to a fork in a road. I can go left or right. A lot of hypothetical factors come into play in my decision to turn left or right or even turn around and go back home. Some are saying the I have no free will and that the outcome of this scene is entirely determined by factors I have no control of.

I will say the outside environment or even my internal biology are a major influence. If I'm hungry and the right road has a McDonalds in walking distance I might go that way. Suppose though the left road has a really good Diner with better food but is farther away? I have 2 similar choices. Let my stomach dictate I go towards food or go hungry a little more for a better reward. Or turn around, go back home, and order pizza.

Because of the limitations of this world I don't have the choice of instant gratification by having food teleported to me directly.

I think this is getting a little to wordy but saying Free Will is an Illusion is to me an extreme statement. Just because I can't bend reality to my every whim doesn't mean I have no decision making ability.

Tiranasta
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jul 2012, 3:11 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:
I think this is getting a little to wordy but saying Free Will is an Illusion is to me an extreme statement. Just because I can't bend reality to my every whim doesn't mean I have no decision making ability.

To say that free will is an illusion is not to say that you cannot make decisions, only that what you choose is deterministic. In essence, that, were time to somehow be wound back to the point of your decision (and thus the situation replayed with exactly the same parameters), you would always make the exact same decision again.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 4:01 pm

Hmm..... I think I get what you're saying.

I think it's just something about the phrase Illusion of Free Will sounds odd to me. This might be a semantics thing.

DefKoN
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Jul 2012, 12:55 am

Why does it have to be black or white.
I believe that big decisions have great quantum gravity so in that sense we dont have free will.
But with trivial ones we do have direct control.

enjoy the little things in life i should say.