Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

over9000
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Aug 2012, 6:40 pm

I recently installed Xubuntu on my computer, with a dual boot along with my existing windows OS. The grub bootup worked fine for weeks, but now it's stopped working. Anyone have any suggestions?

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 7:40 pm

there are a lot of partition managers out there you can boot from and then repair a broken boot table,
personally i use easeus partition master.

as to the actual failure point, no idea.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 8:08 pm

I'd try running gparted. Not to make a new partition, but just to see what happens. It might spot an error and offer to repair it. Or it might even 'silently' fix the problem. That happened to me once; I had a problem much like this, and all I did was run it, it showed everything as fine, but when I rebooted after that, expecting trouble, everything was working fine. So it fixed something just by running. There are many LiveCDs that will let you do this.

If gparted doesn't help, there are various LiveCDs with diagnostic tools; I've got a really nice forensic one that seems to assume it ought to fix anything obviously broken. :D I don't have the link to it offhand, but it was written for the Belgian (?) police, but is open source, so you can download and use it to recover files from your machine or anything else you might think of to do with it.

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder