Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 6:44 pm

From time to time I enjoy using older Windows versions. The last one I used was a version of Windows 95 via the qemu app for Android. Unfortunately the emulation was horrible (super lag) and all the features of Win95 were not present :( ........maybe someone could explain to me in a nutshell how to run Windows 3.1 in DosBox :)

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 12:55 pm

I think that the Win2k/XP series of OS's were the best that MS put out from a desktop usage perspective.

brickmack
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Aug 2012, 10:31 pm

Not particularly, they are too slow to do anything on, and I think the old user interface design looks rather crappy. I used to have one with 95 that I got on occasionally just to play with, but one day when I had the case open for cleaning a cat decided to use it as a litterbox...

I do enjoy using the old Mac systems, if only for nastalgia (I wasnt even born when most of them came out, but its what my elementary school had, and despite their ancientness and various problems, I loved those G3 imacs...) Not such a big fan of the new Macs though...

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 10:42 pm

I keep at least one XP machine around for classic games (like Master of Orion 2) that just won't run properly on anything else. I might even make it DOS box... I have a few classic sound cards whose drivers never went beyond Win98 and were amazing in their day...

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 1:32 am

BlueMax wrote:
I keep at least one XP machine around for classic games (like Master of Orion 2) that just won't run properly on anything else. I might even make it DOS box... I have a few classic sound cards whose drivers never went beyond Win98 and were amazing in their day...

Sure the GUS was awesome in the mid 90s, but really? :)

54together
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Aug 2012, 9:20 am

I like Windows 7 best, but I'd also be happy using an old Windows like an XP or a 2000. :)

I agree with everyone else. I don't really like the Vista I'm using: it can be a bit buggy and unstable, more like something in beta testing. And don't get me started on the many things wrong with the upcoming 8.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 10:54 am

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
BlueMax wrote:

Sure the GUS was awesome in the mid 90s, but really? :)

Call it my shrine if you will... I won some awards and competitions with my GUS and tracker music. It was one of my life achievements.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9Z-k9TzfOM[/youtube]

jdbob
Toucan
Toucan

25 Aug 2012, 6:57 pm

My main software development is on Windows XP. There is a legacy product that I still support that is done on Windows 2000 due to the compiler licensing. I just installed Windows 7 mostly for compatibility testing.

All of them run as virtual machines on an iMac.

anarchybovine
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Aug 2012, 8:27 pm

Windows XP was my favorite Windows OS. My kaput netbook ran on Windows XP. But now I use Lion, because I have a Macbook now.

TrainofLove
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Sep 2012, 4:17 am

I use Windows 7, and would never go back to Windows XP.

Windows XP just sucks, and is really troublesome. Windows 7 is great, and I haven't had much issues with it. My dad's Mac on the other hand, wow, what a piece of s**t.