Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

largosan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Aug 2012, 7:40 pm

I have this old LCD Monitor that used to be my uncles, and has been sitting in a garage for the last few years, since he passed away. A couple of months ago I found it in my grandma's garage, and asked if I could have it. I was unable to find a power cable for it, and the proprietary cable costs $30 at minimum. I am only interested in it because it happens to be a touchscreen monitor. However, by a happy coincidence it runs on 12 volts, so I have it connected to the 12 volt rail of my computer. The computer has a 1Amp 12 volt rail, and the stock power adapter would have provided 3 Amps, but if it works at all, that shouldn't cause an orange tint, right? Not only did I try several cables and using a different port on my GPU, but I have also tried messing with color temperature, contrast and brightness, with no effect.

Here is a picture of it, compared to my primary monitor:

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 9:49 pm

My uneducated guess it that it's not getting enough power... pity it doesn't take the standard ATX power cable!

It may be getting the correct voltage but it needs adequate amperage as well... you may kill it by running it without enough juice.

Indexer
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Aug 2012, 10:20 pm

I had the exact same problem ( same color issues ) and the cause was the cable from the d-sub output of the video card to the input of the LCD monitor had gone bad.
I replaced the cable and the problem was fixed.

largosan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Aug 2012, 1:56 am

Indexer wrote:
I had the exact same problem ( same color issues ) and the cause was the cable from the d-sub output of the video card to the input of the LCD monitor had gone bad.
I replaced the cable and the problem was fixed.

I have already tried switching the cables. I will try finding another 12 volt adapter that provides enough amperage and modifying it to accept the molex connector that's on there now, to see if that helps.

Edit:
@BlueMax

I was figuring if it had enough power to turn on, it would not affect the operation of the monitor.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 5:24 am

LCD monitors are actually quite sensitive in regards to the power they use,

it requires a lot of voltage to even get it to light up properly.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 11:00 am

I think it's one of two things:

1.) As others have mentioned, it's not getting enough power.
2.) The flourescent backlight could be going bad.

If you shell out the $30 for the proprietary interconnect, and the orange color persists, it will most likely be #2. --BTW, is the Monitor in question a 3M?

largosan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Aug 2012, 5:04 pm

Fogman wrote:
I think it's one of two things:

1.) As others have mentioned, it's not getting enough power.
2.) The flourescent backlight could be going bad.

If you shell out the $30 for the proprietary interconnect, and the orange color persists, it will most likely be #2. --BTW, is the Monitor in question a 3M?

No. It is a Planar. I don't plan to get the proprietary connector, just something at the right amperage and voltage. I can get that for like $10. If the backlight is bad, I'll probably just sell it as-is on ebay.