Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

irene
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Sep 2012, 7:10 am

irene wrote:
Thanks, theWanderer, for your message.

As soon as my monitor is disconnected from this pain in the ass laptop and it's reconnected to my desktop I'll be able to take a video of the problem to post it.

other than the fact that it's not easy typing on this computer I haven't come across any problems. I have been using for several hours.

Glad to know that the info I provided was helpful :)

Since writing this message the problem hasn't been that severe. It will go spastic for about 3 minutes then stop. At the time I decided that I needed help it would last sometimes for at least 30 minutes.

Thanks everybody for responding. I will continue with this topic if and when the situation worsens.

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 9:48 pm

U could always "Office Space" the crap outta it lol

Species5618
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Sep 2012, 2:53 am

The description of the screen problem sounds like a hardware issue, possibly something with the cable. The problem of this diagnosis is that it doesn't explain why typing makes it go away.

I think a video of what happens would be extremely helpful.

irene
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Sep 2012, 5:17 am

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Fortunately for me the spasms haven't lasted that long for me to have time to locate the camera so that I would be able to create a video to add to this thread.

The kind slightly younger man that I live with and I were in CompUSA shopping for a new camera for me when he asked a salesman if he had any idea what could have caused my problem. After asking about the operating system and the graphics card he decided that Windows 7 is not compatible with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260.

To help correct the problem I downloaded an update from Microsoft. I can't recall if the the monitor acted up after it was installed.

Of course if it happens again I'll resurrect this thread. I thought it was great to see so many people interested in the problem and offering help to correct it. Thanks once more. :D :thumright:

irene
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Oct 2012, 2:13 pm

Just an update and another question. Will post another message if I do not get a reply.

The problem was fixed by returning the card and getting a replacement. It's a shame that it cost me about $45. to pay for the shipping and the materials used to send it back.

Now I am just curious about getting a second video card. What are the advantages of having one? If so how would I decide which is the best one for me? Should I buy a duplicate of what I presently have? Or a different one? The reason for asking is that the computer is still working rather slowly.

Thanks everyone.

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 5:50 pm

irene wrote:
Just an update and another question. Will post another message if I do not get a reply.

The problem was fixed by returning the card and getting a replacement. It's a shame that it cost me about $45. to pay for the shipping and the materials used to send it back.

Now I am just curious about getting a second video card. What are the advantages of having one? If so how would I decide which is the best one for me? Should I buy a duplicate of what I presently have? Or a different one? The reason for asking is that the computer is still working rather slowly.

Thanks everyone.

There are people who need to worry about their video cards. But I don't think, from the sound of it, you're one of them. Your computer could be working slowly for any number of reasons, and when it comes to running slowly, video card issues are so far down the list under most circumstances they never even come up.

How long have you had this computer? What type of anti-virus do you use? Have you scanned it for malware lately? (Top two reasons a computer runs slow, in my experience, and they are about tied, although for individual users, the likelihood of one or the other may vary: 1: Malware. Your anti-virus will not catch every possible infection and stop it. 2: The system has simply been used for a long time, and you just need a fresh install to get things back up to speed.) One possibility that follows close behind is your anti-virus scanner itself. Some of them are not that well behaved, and will slow your system down to a crawl.

Now, if you're a gamer or you do a lot of work that is display intensive, you might want to look into getting a better graphics / video card. But almost everyone who is that deeply into anything that would require it knows a fair bit about computers. People who need to ask advice on a forum like this (discussion with your fellow geeks on a geek forum is a bit different) almost never need to worry about their video card unless it's actually broken. Seems yours was (although in an odd way, but that does happen - heck, a bad memory module can have even somebody who knows computers wondering if theirs is haunted), but if that's fixed, you can probably forget all about it.

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

irene
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2013, 10:17 am

Recently I received a gift of a new monitor. I thought I would like a smaller one until I hooked it up. The old one was still here so I decided to swap it.

For the first 4 or 5 days there was no problems. Just a short while ago it started to go spastic aka fluttering. Because it worked so well after it was unplugged for several days I tried that to help the situation. It did! :D :idea: I hope this keeps up.

Lately I find that I 'get bent out of shape' when I find that I need to replace something. Like a pair of shoes, the monitor, etc. It seems like my attitude is now one of that I expect everything I buy to last me for my remaining years on this planet. :?:

Thanks everyone who responded to this thread.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 10:34 am

So the old monitor still goes spastic once in a while... does the new one ever do it too?

If the new monitor also acts weird, the problem lies in the video component on your computer (whether it be built-in or an add-on card - easily and cheaply replaced without a tech!)

If the new monitor works perfectly, the rest of the computer is fine and the problem was just the old monitor itself.

Let us know how it goes... sorry I didn't see this to contribute the 1st time. I've been a tech for ~15 years and a user for double that... it's my aspie obsession. ;) I love to help!

irene
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2013, 7:14 pm

I know it's the monitor that has the problem. Here are the tests that I ran to come up with the conclusion.

First one was complained to NVIDIA about the situation who then sent a replacement. The problem was not resolved. Bought a new cable. Same results. The last one was while it was having it's little annoying fit connecting it to a lap top. It still continued going spastic while the lap top had no problems at all.

After I used the 2nd new monitor for about one day I decided that I did not like the 17" screen. I prefer this 19" which just started to flitter, flutter for about 90 seconds. The first new monitor was a 21.5" widescreen which I used for approximately one week without any difficulties.

As soon as I stopped using the too big widescreen my Sims 3 game crashed which is probably just another problem to deal with. :roll:

BlueMax, from what I have told you would you know why the monitor has so many problems. Doesn't it seem strange that when it's on and being ignored it acts out? When I use the keyboard it will stop if I start using it as soon as I see the situation occuring. If it has been going on for a while using the keyboard will not help at all.