Page 2 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 1:49 am

BlueMax wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Dantac wrote:
For that price I could build you a powerful desktop.

how much, then, for a 'puter with multicore pentium cpu, twin 250G solid state drives [one for OS/memory] the other for files and a few programs], video-editing-grade video card, quality audio card, silent power supply, all of which is bulletproof for video-editing/DVD-mastering tasks?

If you need to be concerned with value, the Momentus XT hybrid drive for only $100 is very nice! It's a 750GB drive with 4GB of SSD automatic cache for the OS and programs you use most. Of course, being a desktop, you can use any drive 64GB or smaller as your own SSD cache. If you can afford it, video editing will certainly benefit from running off a true, big SSD!

Video editing doesn't need a fancy video card, but as much system RAM as you can throw at it. The onboard Intel 4000 graphics are more than enough and most motherboards can be upgraded to 4x8GB DDR3 very cheaply!

i5 4-core processor = $200 (or 4-core plus 4 hyperthreading cores for a small boost for $100 more)
typical socket 1155 z77 motherboard = ~$100
32GB RAM = $150
Good, quiet case w/ power supply (I'm fond of the Antec Sonata 3) = $100
~256GB solid-state disk for OS and applications: $200 (plus another for "thrashing" your actual editing)
don't forget a big mechanical drive to store your work when it's done for another $100
Since you're an audio guy I'd recommend a pro audio card like the M-Audio Audiophile 192 for about $150

That's around $1200 but it'd be an absolute MONSTER for the task at hand! You could easily get by with half the RAM & one SSD instead of two to cut initial costs.

thank you all [Dantac/BlueMax] for that estimate. getting that info from anybody at best buy was a futile effort, like trying to pull hen's teeth. :huh: nobody there knew anything about it. i could see that none of their pre-assembled computers for sale was up to the task in any case. at the very least they shoulda had at least one puter for sale labeled as "certified for reliable large-scale video editing." i guess only a broadcast supply house [not for end users but only for pros in the industry] could get any of that stuff conveniently assembled in complete assembled packages "off the rack," for everybody else it is just obtaining the parts and pulling one's hair out in assembling it and configuring it as a one-piece system. how much for somebody to put it all together and test it for function?

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 2:00 am

Honestly dont ever buy computers from best buy or their ilk. They're garbage when it comes to component quality and its way overpriced for their pathetic performance.

Find a local computer store where you can actually talk to the tech working there. Simply ask them how much they'd charge to assemble a system if you brought them the parts.

When you do , make sure you watch them do it so they don't keep your good expensive component and put in one of their crappy old ones in. Best buy does that a LOT btw... I quit working as a tech there many years ago because of it.

It should not take a tech that knows what he is doing more than one hour to build it for you. The OS installation usually lasts 30 minutes after that.

edit: also... just FYI SSD's are indeed fast and awesome but if you intend to use it for constant video editing... like every weekend you take hours of video and edit it all ... the SSD will die in a year or so. They have limited # read/write operations and video editing burns through those mighty fast. Tom's Hardware did a review of many SSD's a year ago and found this to be a major flaw in most SSD's in the market. Whatever SSD you choose do look up the latest review in Tomshardware :)

Last edited by Dantac on 18 Nov 2012, 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 2:04 am

Dantac wrote:
Honestly dont ever buy computers from best buy or their ilk. They're garbage when it comes to component quality and its way overpriced for their pathetic performance. Find a local computer store where you can actually talk to the tech working there. Simply ask them how much they'd charge to assemble a system if you brought them the parts. When you do , make sure you watch them do it so they don't keep your good expensive component and put in one of their crappy old ones in. Best buy does that a LOT btw... I quit working as a tech there many years ago because of it. It should not take a tech that knows what he is doing more than one hour to build it for you. The OS installation usually lasts 30 minutes after that.

thank you for that info, when i am able to accumulate enough duckie$$$$ i intend to get into video editing, which i've wanted to get into for the last 20 years. the last puter i bought specifically for video editing flopped out, and the local company that made it went belly-up. that was 10 years ago, and i figure it's time to try again.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 2:09 am

BlueMax wrote:
Momentus XT hybrid drive for only $100 is very nice! It's a 750GB drive with 4GB of SSD automatic cache for the OS and programs you use mos

Ooh that is indeed nice.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 4:44 am

A *GOOD* SSD, like the Intel 330 series cost a tiny bit more but will also last a lot longer. You'd have to write the entire content of the drive 10-20 times a day for a couple years before you run into any trouble. A piece of crap drive from OCZ may fail in a month!

If the intent is to MAKE MONEY with your video editing, speed is critical and the extra $100-200 for a SSD drive dedicated for nothing but editing makes perfect sense! This would make night & day difference. The hybrid drive makes a nice storage/OS drive because it's significantly speedier than a normal drive, yet still large enough for any apps you might throw at it. 750GB isn't great for archiving though... a 3TB "green" drive is best for that... or just burn 'em to DVD and take them off entirely once 100% finished.

Some programs run better on Intel, others on AMD... do you know which program you intend to use? I'll check out the benchmarks and see which performs better for you... the same $200 gets you the Intel i5 (4 faster cores) or the AMD FX-8350 (8 slower cores). Same money. Games run much, much faster on the Intel platform, but that's irrelevant to you. You certainly don't need the Radeon video card for editing either - in the PC world, the only thing 3D video cards help with is GAMES and the occasional program that can use nVidia's CUDA cores... it's not worth the noise or expense if you're not playing games.

So - is this a paid gig or is it just hobby stuff? You have a budget to stay within? What program you intend to use?
Also - do you have a digital video camera or good old tape? Your tape camera will need some way of getting that content into the computer to edit it so you'll need a video capture card or device.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 5:53 am

BlueMax wrote:
A *GOOD* SSD, like the Intel 330 series cost a tiny bit more but will also last a lot longer. You'd have to write the entire content of the drive 10-20 times a day for a couple years before you run into any trouble. A piece of crap drive from OCZ may fail in a month!

so much to learn about what products to avoid. :o

BlueMax wrote:
If the intent is to MAKE MONEY with your video editing, speed is critical and the extra $100-200 for a SSD drive dedicated for nothing but editing makes perfect sense! This would make night & day difference. The hybrid drive makes a nice storage/OS drive because it's significantly speedier than a normal drive, yet still large enough for any apps you might throw at it. 750GB isn't great for archiving though... a 3TB "green" drive is best for that... or just burn 'em to DVD and take them off entirely once 100% finished.

still learning what to do. am looking for something less expensive as i intend to start with/learn the video-editing process via my own collection of videotapes dating back a few decades. off-air VHS broadcast recordings i'd like to edit out commercial breaks seamlessly, remove video noise/picture breakup due to tape wear and tear. NTSC at first. i have no idea what editing hidef 1080i would involve. would like to get into some video magic such as upconverting/digital sharpening/removal of visible scan lines via intelligent line doubling of old vhs videos. i suspect that these DSP interventions are much cheaper than they used to be, but my googlesearch has failed to turn up any programs that can do these things outside the labs of the big boys [hollywood studios]. magix used to make an entry-level video restoration suite, but that was for NTSC before hidef came along. i've been a failure in terms of attracting paying customers for my audio restoration skills, so maybe video is more where the marketplace is, as i'm guessing there are probably lots of baby boomers with neither the time, money nor technical abilities to restore a fave videotape or tapes sitting neglected in storage. but i know nothing about this also, all my expertise being in the audio restoration side of things. a steep learning curve is ahead of me. :oops:

BlueMax wrote:
Some programs run better on Intel, others on AMD... do you know which program you intend to use? I'll check out the benchmarks and see which performs better for you... the same $200 gets you the Intel i5 (4 faster cores) or the AMD FX-8350 (8 slower cores). Same money. Games run much, much faster on the Intel platform, but that's irrelevant to you. You certainly don't need the Radeon video card for editing either - in the PC world, the only thing 3D video cards help with is GAMES and the occasional program that can use nVidia's CUDA cores... it's not worth the noise or expense if you're not playing games.

no video games for me. the only programs i've heard anything about would be those made by sony [entry level version of vegas? sony movie studio 12? or adobe [premiere elements]. it would have to be something which contained both video editing and dvd authoring in one package. i guess i better start with a consumer-level editing package. the main thing is that it has to be fool-proof, rock-solid stable [no crashes or glitches or dropped frames] and FAST. it has to work right out of the box [so to speak]. adobe premiere elements doesn't require the nvidia CUDA but all the sony stuff does. there's gotta be other decent [easy to use and stable/versatile] video editor programs out there.

BlueMax wrote:
So - is this a paid gig or is it just hobby stuff? You have a budget to stay within? What program you intend to use? Also - do you have a digital video camera or good old tape? Your tape camera will need some way of getting that content into the computer to edit it so you'll need a video capture card or device.
i hope to attract paying customers. but maybe this is just a pipe dream, since i haven't been able to attract more than a handful of paying customes for my audio restoration services. i was hoping for <$1000 for the whole package. probably still a pipe dream. but i gotta at least try to find out. this would be baby boomers with old videotapes, maybe even their parents' old home film movies on 8 mm or such. i'd need a telecine converter for those. i would need a simple to use yet versatile/stable video editor/dvd authoring package. video clean-up/enhance/scan line doubling/removal would be a big plus.

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 2:46 pm

of course the hd is going to suck compared to these 1200 dollarr options you guys are spouting off about lol. what would be better for under 350 laptop for me desk for daddy lol.

Your Aspie score: 101 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 111 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 3:23 pm

wtfid2 wrote:
of course the hd is going to suck compared to these 1200 dollarr options you guys are spouting off about lol. what would be better for under 350 laptop for me desk for daddy lol.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230614

ASUS is the top of the Consumer Reports and this latest-gen dual-core Celeron is actually VERY good, beating every single Core2Duo from the past. Cheap AND good!

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 4:30 pm

Okay, auntblabby - let's stick to a "hobbyist" budget since you don't need heavy-duty equipment to do a job in one hour vs. 90-120 minutes!

AMD might give you a cheaper 4-core if you can build it yourself, but I put together a nice Intel solution to stick to a budget, is VERY easy to build (all you need to do is drop in the CPU and RAM - done!) is quiet and sure looks neat-o!

All you have to do is install your own copy of Windows (XP or 7... not the icky 8!)

It's not the *cheapest* options, but it's the best balance of budget / performance / electricity use / quiet.
(The Intel CPU chosen is only 55W of electricity versus AMD's 125W!)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856101117 $240 Shuttle SH67H3 barebone (case/power/mobo/super-cooling in one!)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151256 $16 DVD burner
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100112 $35 video capture gadget with software
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231486 $70 2x8GB RAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116775 $130 Intel i3-3220 (don't underestimate this new dynamo!)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148940 $130 hybrid drive for OS, applications and data.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167122 $150 Intel 330 180GB SSD purely for your video recording and editing - separated from the OS to keep the OS drive safe!

TOTAL: under $775

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 8:00 pm

BlueMax wrote:
wtfid2 wrote:

ASUS is the top of the Consumer Reports and this latest-gen dual-core Celeron is actually VERY good, beating every single Core2Duo from the past. Cheap AND good!
not trying to be rude and i appreciate your help but are you insane :p
i think you are too focused on hp being bad..they may be but brand is nly one part of the package.

the hp has 2.7-3.2 ghz while the asus has 1.7
hp has 4gb ram and asus 2
hp has 750gb hd asus 320
hp has win 8 asus 7

i just dont see how this can be better

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 9:28 pm

BlueMax wrote:
Okay, auntblabby - let's stick to a "hobbyist" budget since you don't need heavy-duty equipment to do a job in one hour vs. 90-120 minutes!

thank you BlueMax for that parts list/links. as soon as i can pay off my hospital bill i will be clicking and shopping.

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 9:35 pm

wtfid2 wrote:
BlueMax wrote:
wtfid2 wrote:

i think you are too focused on hp being bad..they may be but brand is nly one part of the package.

hp has 750gb hd asus 320
hp has win 8 asus 7

i like this one too
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834230646

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 10:11 pm

BlueMax wrote:

i should hope that they improved the celeron, the last one i used just was a hot paperweight laptop that would just lock up half the time, with the meter saying "100%+" resourse usage, just trying to websurf. something about the modern web overloaded that old 1GHZ celeron [<2gb cheap RAM]. worst purchase i ever made, that was my punishment for trying to find something affordable to websurf with.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 11:12 pm

wtfid2 wrote:
BlueMax wrote:
wtfid2 wrote:

hp has 750gb hd asus 320
hp has win 8 asus 7

It's not "better" it's just a fantastic value for a lousy $250 and probably more than your dad would ever need anyway.
Your original HP machine was $550 and the A6 processor is a pretty lousy performer, even though its MHz are higher numbers. Benchmarks will show you. The only thing you gain is better graphics for 3D games which I doubt your dad needs.

And considering how many I've had to fix, I can vouch for what the consumer reports have to say - HP is junk and you'll be lucky to get 18 months out of it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834101303
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230612

These two are decent but barely worth the $100 difference, in my opinion. The $250 unit with a cheap 4 or 8GB stick of RAM and a Momentus XT hybrid drive would make the cheaper unit just scream for cheap!

ASUS is THE top brand for service & quality, HP is the bottom. Choose whatever you like. ;)

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 11:25 pm

BlueMax wrote:
wtfid2 wrote:
BlueMax wrote:
wtfid2 wrote:

hp has 750gb hd asus 320
hp has win 8 asus 7

It's not "better" it's just a fantastic value for a lousy $250 and probably more than your dad would ever need anyway.
Your original HP machine was $550 and the A6 processor is a pretty lousy performer, even though its MHz are higher numbers. Benchmarks will show you. The only thing you gain is better graphics for 3D games which I doubt your dad needs.

And considering how many I've had to fix, I can vouch for what the consumer reports have to say - HP is junk and you'll be lucky to get 18 months out of it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834101303
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230612

These two are decent but barely worth the $100 difference, in my opinion. The $250 unit with a cheap 4 or 8GB stick of RAM and a Momentus XT hybrid drive would make the cheaper unit just scream for cheap!
t
ASUS is THE top brand for service & quality, HP is the bottom. Choose whatever you like. ;)
i said in the original post that i would get the hp for 325after tax.......
im not looking for the cheapest laptop just one under 400 and i want the best under 400 i could find. My dad runs intense tax programs, im the one who just watches movies. My current laptop from 2009 was 300bucs and is better than the asus you linked. I appreciate the effort but that is garbage. As an aside i have read that asus while being goo, are also very cheaply made.
im sure the a6 is better than our current processors. i have a dual core amd athlon with 1.6 ghz..my dad has a pentium 4 with roughly the same.
I heard lenovo is the best brand

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 11:33 pm

wtfid2 wrote:
wtfid2 wrote:
BlueMax wrote:
wtfid2 wrote:

hp has 750gb hd asus 320
hp has win 8 asus 7

i like this one too
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834230646
how come on new egg it is 399 but 550 everywhere else???