Page 3 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 11:38 pm

wtfid2 wrote:
i said in the original post that i would get the hp for 325after tax.......
im not looking for the cheapest laptop just one under 400 and i want the best under 400 i could find. My dad runs intense tax programs, im the one who just watches movies. My current laptop from 2009 was 300bucs and is better than the asus you linked. I appreciate the effort but that is garbage. As an aside i have read that asus while being goo, are also very cheaply made.
im sure the a6 is better than our current processors. i have a dual core amd athlon with 1.6 ghz..my dad has a pentium 4 with roughly the same.
I heard lenovo is the best brand

If you consider that processor "garbage" and less than the AMD Athlon or Pentium4 you're comparing them to, fine. You're not one for listening to advice from those who know in other threads either. Buy whatever you want then and pat yourself on the head for being so smart. I'm done.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 11:41 pm

which begs the question again...

you already have a functioning laptop. It will browse the net, type word documents, watch movies just fine. Your dad also needs an upgrade for his tax program so I assume this is his work computer.

May I suggest you consider:

1- Getting your dad a more powerful laptop than the one in your original link. Particularly in the RAM and processor as those are the two things he critically needs. 8GB should be the minimum RAM and do your dad a huge favor and get him windows 7 laptop not the win8 garbage that is SO damn incompatible with most programs.

2- Keep your current laptop for your mobile entertainment. Movies, word documents, net browsing. If its a bit slow now just see if its ram be upgraded as I bet that will be the source of your performance problems for low-intensity applications (aka word, internet,movies).

If you need something more powerful than your current laptop for games then you simply should not be using a laptop for them. Get a desktop.

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 12:51 am

BlueMax wrote:
wtfid2 wrote:
i said in the original post that i would get the hp for 325after tax.......
im not looking for the cheapest laptop just one under 400 and i want the best under 400 i could find. My dad runs intense tax programs, im the one who just watches movies. My current laptop from 2009 was 300bucs and is better than the asus you linked. I appreciate the effort but that is garbage. As an aside i have read that asus while being goo, are also very cheaply made.
im sure the a6 is better than our current processors. i have a dual core amd athlon with 1.6 ghz..my dad has a pentium 4 with roughly the same.
I heard lenovo is the best brand

If you consider that processor "garbage" and less than the AMD Athlon or Pentium4 you're comparing them to, fine. You're not one for listening to advice from those who know in other threads either. Buy whatever you want then and pat yourself on the head for being so smart. I'm done.
i was comparing it to an a6 not an athlon or Pentium 4. Im not looking for crap just something good for under 400 dollars. thanks for your contributions

Your Aspie score: 101 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 111 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 12:58 am

Dantac wrote:
which begs the question again...

you already have a functioning laptop. It will browse the net, type word documents, watch movies just fine. Your dad also needs an upgrade for his tax program so I assume this is his work computer.

May I suggest you consider:

1- Getting your dad a more powerful laptop than the one in your original link. Particularly in the RAM and processor as those are the two things he critically needs. 8GB should be the minimum RAM and do your dad a huge favor and get him windows 7 laptop not the win8 garbage that is SO damn incompatible with most programs.

2- Keep your current laptop for your mobile entertainment. Movies, word documents, net browsing. If its a bit slow now just see if its ram be upgraded as I bet that will be the source of your performance problems for low-intensity applications (aka word, internet,movies).

If you need something more powerful than your current laptop for games then you simply should not be using a laptop for them. Get a desktop.
my laptop has several problems.
1-battery is dead..so laptop only works when plugged in
2-the port to charge the laptop is loose. Ths vans that i either cant turn the laptop on or it will randomly shut off. The only way to get it working is to fidget around with the plug and hope it eventually turns on and stays on.
3-eyboard has many broken keys.

i think the hp would be a nice upgrade. Im using it for graduate school too.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 2:46 am

Your mind is already made up - better jump on it quick before the pricematch offer is invalid! Price matching has limitations like stock levels and time, etc.

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 12:52 pm

BlueMax wrote:
Your mind is already made up - better jump on it quick before the pricematch offer is invalid! Price matching has limitations like stock levels and time, etc.
yah im still deciding though i really dont like te textured pad, or the lack of scroll pad. I also wish it were a toshiba. Im still gonna look at other things.

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 7:21 pm

this is another decent laptop i was looking at but i think the one in my op is better nay thoughts?
btw wat does cache do?
the one in the opis an A6 with 2.7 ghz turbo boost to 3.2 but has only 1mb l2 cache

the one in this link has intel pentium b960 with 2.2 ghz but 2mb l3 cache
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenovo+-+Id ... b=overview

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 7:49 pm

The specs may be a hair lower but the build quality and brand behind it (Lenovo=IBM) are so much better I'd take it in a heartbeat!

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 8:01 pm

BlueMax wrote:
The specs may be a hair lower but the build quality and brand behind it (Lenovo=IBM) are so much better I'd take it in a heartbeat!
im considering both options. it appears the lenovo has a smooth touch pad which i prefer..i dont now if it has a scroller though(the hp does not). The hard drive is a big diff though 320 is more than a hair less than 750.

any input on my cache question?
and yah iheard lenovo is a solid brand. Idk ho their CustomerS is though?

a review says it is selling for187 on black Friday may get this one ;)

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 8:13 pm

wtfid2 wrote:
BlueMax wrote:
im considering both options. it appears the lenovo has a smooth touch pad which i prefer..i dont now if it has a scroller though(the hp does not). The hard drive is a big diff though 320 is more than a hair less than 750.

any input on my cache question?
and yah iheard lenovo is a solid brand. Idk ho their CustomerS is though?

a review says it is selling for187 on black Friday may get this one ;)
nvm tht guy is an idiot lol..the 187dollar one is junk....i think i may just go with the hp those specs are hard to ignore and the a6 is dual core the b960 is single and junk.

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 10:03 pm

I would e interested in seeing how much the next lenovo up from that 299 would cost and what the specs would be. If it is in the 375 range I would consider it.
btw if ibm is so good why did they sell to lenovo?

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2012, 12:16 am

IBM no longer manufactures their own machines, hence Lenovo - but they're still tied.

...and cache memory does very little. The A6 CPU is comparatively weak, but it does have far better onboard graphics if the user likes to play games.

Are you using this machine too or is it only for your dad doing work? For work, stick with with any Intel CPU which will have better per-thread performance, even at a lower MHz number.

One of the hardest things for people to grasp is there may be four different CPUs, each at the same 3GHz, but those 4 processors will each run at different speeds for different applications, sometimes with more than 25% difference from best to worst!

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2012, 12:43 pm

I found the perfect laptop but it says it's not available for shipping AND not available at an stores in my state

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenovo---15 ... 8703222556

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2012, 4:25 pm

this one has an a8 quad core
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+K+Se ... nt=Default

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2012, 8:37 am

hey guys i excited to tell you about my new laptop. I bought a samsung 15.6 inch with intel core i3 4gb ram 500 gb hd windows 8 and it came with a targus laptop bag, a logitech bluetooth mouse and 8 gb hd all for 350 ;).

http://www.fatwallet.com/black-friday/d ... -Anywhere/

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 4:26 pm

I was excited to tell you guys especially bluemax and you guys dont care *cries* lol.