Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 5:21 pm

Fnord wrote:
I once met a girl from Kentucky who would never eat anything cooked in a microwave oven because she didn't want her children to become mutated -- they were aged 6, 8, and 11. No amount of facts or reason could convince her otherwise.
Now we enter the realm of religion... :roll:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 5:43 pm

Kenjuudo wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I once met a girl from Kentucky who would never eat anything cooked in a microwave oven because she didn't want her children to become mutated -- they were aged 6, 8, and 11. No amount of facts or reason could convince her otherwise.

We entered that realm long before my first post in this thread.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 11:24 am

Kenjuudo wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Not religion. It is the endemic ignorance of science in the U.S. Thank the public schools for that. Public School are run by boards of education many of who are member of the local church. Organized religion, by and large, is the enemy of science and critical thinking. We would not want to teach our youngsters to think critically, would we? If they did they might drop their religious superstition like a hot rock.

ruveyn

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 1:45 pm

Religion has its slimy tendrils in every social institution, especially education.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 2:09 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Kenjuudo wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Not religion. It is the endemic ignorance of science in the U.S. Thank the public schools for that. Public School are run by boards of education many of who are member of the local church. Organized religion, by and large, is the enemy of science and critical thinking. We would not want to teach our youngsters to think critically, would we? If they did they might drop their religious superstition like a hot rock.

Oh bullpucky. The only reason science isn't more prevalent in north american schools is because most of the kids attending them are morons who only want to be "cool" and think science is stupid. These kids sure as hell aren't avoiding science for religious reasons!!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 2:36 pm

BlueMax wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Kenjuudo wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Oh bullpucky. The only reason science isn't more prevalent in north american schools is because most of the kids attending them are morons who only want to be "cool" and think science is stupid. These kids sure as hell aren't avoiding science for religious reasons!!

I had to teach my own children about evolution (and the truth about science in general) because the religious nutters where they grew up had control of the school board, and would not allow any science text that mentioned Darwin, or that the Earth even existed before 4004 BCE.

I once received a note from my eldest son's teacher instructing me to not teach them anything outside the curriculum because "it will only confuse them". Unfortunately, their curriculum was based on textbooks from the 1940s and 1950s, and made no mention of archeology, biology, or paleontology that conflicted with Biblical teachings.

What's worse is that this practice is legal!

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 2:47 pm

Your odd example will only affect the "evolution" portion of science class. How about the rest of it? How will that have anything to do with Chemistry, Physics or Biology? Formulas, wavelengths, energies and masses don't change because of evolution. Heck, what about other classes like good ol' English??

20 years ago I went to both Catholic and public no-religion-allowed schools. The classes were the exact same material - no religion was EVER taught in either one. Ever. (Apart from the Catholic school having a dedicated religion class - that was the only time it was ever in the curriculum. Not to mention, theory of evolution is taught in all schools whether religious people like it or not.)

No matter how much you may hate it with every fiber of your being, religion is not to blame for schools full of drooling morons who can barely tie their shoelaces.

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 4:59 pm

I don't think they're perfectly benign, but if made correctly and operating normally, I do think microwave ovens are safe to use. I don't like what they do to some foods, though, especially cheese. But they're handy for defrosting, for steaming vegetables, and for just lightly warming bread if it's wrapped in a damp paper towel. I make my morning oatmeal in mine.

I was curious about the faddish concern about them though, so I read about them, including about Faraday cages, and the inside out one used in microwave ovens.

They do, according to my power company, put off an electromagnetic field, just as a mobile phone or a cordless phone and lots of other things do. The World Health Organization has published concerns about that. Because of that I try to stay at least 3 feet away when mine is operating, and I like it to be in a part of the kitchen that allows me to do other tasks without standing right beside it while it's on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_pho ... and_health