Page 1 of 8 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Kmgtpezy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Mar 2011, 7:22 pm

I am sure that this question has been asked to the point of necrosis of skin cells, but are you good at math?

For my age, I believe that my knowledge of mathematics could be better.

I make simple mistakes in calculus, particularly multivariable calculus, and appear to disregard things like geometric proofs, etc. (Although, to me, they are not that bad).

"It is man's social being that determines his thinking. Once the correct ideas characteristic of the advanced class are grasped by the masses, these ideas turn into a material force which changes society and changes the world." - Mao Zedong

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 7:29 pm

I'm 38 and am lucky if I can understand the addition of fractions.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 7:54 pm

Anyone struggling with mathematics should go to:

khanacademy.org

Free videos covering various fields of mathematics (including basic arithmetic and advanced calculus)!

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 7:59 pm

When I was younger I was gifted at Math. Now I am just competent.

ruveyn

bethmc
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Mar 2011, 8:00 pm

I graduated Phi Beta Kappa, top of my class, scholarship to grad school, the works - but math? HA!

Me and math just don't see eye-to-eye - from elementary all the way through to university I've had remedial math classes & tutoring; I've had to take algebra four times (from middle school to university).

I remember crying in grad statistics because it was all gibberish - I really wanted to understand it, but never did.

i can (obviously) come off as really abrupt and my tone can sound sharpish, so feel free to ask me to clarify

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 8:08 pm

I studied Maths Bridging Level 4 (up to basic calculus) last year, and am doing maths as part of my Engineering foundation course. I understand it well.

Kmgtpezy - You're doing multivariable Calculus at 15? That seems advanced for your age! Is multivariable Calculus the same as Partial Derivatives?

Kmgtpezy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Mar 2011, 8:18 pm

Ahaseurus2000 wrote:
Kmgtpezy - You're doing multivariable Calculus at 15? That seems advanced for your age! Is multivariable Calculus the same as Partial Derivatives?

Yes, partial derivatives are covered in multivariable calculus along with gradients.

My age, however, does not matter. :P

"It is man's social being that determines his thinking. Once the correct ideas characteristic of the advanced class are grasped by the masses, these ideas turn into a material force which changes society and changes the world." - Mao Zedong

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 8:18 pm

^Multivariable calculus includes partial derivatives.

I'm better at math than the typical prole. Among math majors at my university I'm probably about average.

Kmgtpezy wrote:
I am sure that this question has been asked to the point of necrosis of skin cells, but are you good at math?

I make simple mistakes in calculus, particularly multivariable calculus, and appear to disregard things like geometric proofs, etc. (Although, to me, they are not that bad).

I wouldn't be discouraged by struggling in calculus (especially multivariable) at age 15. I never saw calculus at all until I was nearly 18, and I'm only a couple months away from an applied math degree now.

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 8:30 pm

MasterJedi wrote:

Code:

/  is the fraction sign e.g.  1/4 is one-quarter

+ is obvious,

* is multiplication,

1/4 + 1/8

common denominator = 8, because 4 divided by 8 = 2 .

So,

1 * 2  +  1  =  2 + 1  =  3
  /       /       /       /
4 * 2     8  =    8    =  8

similar rules apply to subtraction.

2/5 + 5/7

no clear common denominator, therefore

2 * 7      5 * 5     14     25      39
  /     +    /    =   /  +   /   =   /
5 * 7      7 * 5     35     35      35

If we can we simplify the fraction. e.g.  10/25 becomes 2/5, because 10 and 25 are divisible by 5.

for multiplication, simply multiply the numbers on top together, and multiply the numbers on bottom together, and thst gives you the answer.

for division, flip one of the fractions, then multiply.

does that help? :)

Or did that make your brain fall out and walk away? :?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 8:37 pm

Kmgtpezy wrote:

Folks are impressed with my "math skills" because I can do arithmatic in my head better than they can.
But I dont know multivariable calculus from a horse's ass.

The fact that a 15 year old even knows what the term means is pretty impressive to me!

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 9:07 pm

Ahaseurus2000 wrote:
MasterJedi wrote:

Code:

/  is the fraction sign e.g.  1/4 is one-quarter

+ is obvious,

* is multiplication,

1/4 + 1/8

common denominator = 8, because 4 divided by 8 = 2 .

So,

1 * 2  +  1  =  2 + 1  =  3
  /       /       /       /
4 * 2     8  =    8    =  8

similar rules apply to subtraction.

2/5 + 5/7

no clear common denominator, therefore

2 * 7      5 * 5     14     25      39
  /     +    /    =   /  +   /   =   /
5 * 7      7 * 5     35     35      35

If we can we simplify the fraction. e.g.  10/25 becomes 2/5, because 10 and 25 are divisible by 5.

for multiplication, simply multiply the numbers on top together, and multiply the numbers on bottom together, and thst gives you the answer.

for division, flip one of the fractions, then multiply.

does that help? :)

Or did that make your brain fall out and walk away? :?

ugh :huh: :shrug:

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 9:09 pm

MCalavera wrote:
Anyone struggling with mathematics should go to:

khanacademy.org

Free videos covering various fields of mathematics (including basic arithmetic and advanced calculus)!

WOOT!! that sounds SO great! I was sooo developmentally messed up as a kid that perhaps if my learning and sensory issues were acknowleged, I would have done better at math, but learning math in mainstream school environment was a HARSH experience. I am fairly certain that I have dyscalculea, but I have a skill at dominoes which seems almost "savant"

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 9:16 pm

I always learned and remembered enough to pass math classes all the way up through high school, but I'm not what you'd call 'good' at it, nor do I even really like it. I'm much more of an abstract, creative person.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 9:35 pm

I was going to say yes, but if you're doing multivariable calculus at age 15, that just blows my mind. I'm 17 and I'm taking precalculus right now. So far it's been extremely easy for me, but we haven't gotten to the good stuff yet. On the subject of doing calculations in my head, I suck at that. My brain is not a calculator, but I do seem to have a much greater understanding of the concepts than everyone else in my class, and I put minimal effort into doing my homework, never study, and I've had crappy math teachers for the past 6 years.

Kmgtpezy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Mar 2011, 10:17 pm

SammichEater wrote:
I was going to say yes, but if you're doing multivariable calculus at age 15, that just blows my mind. I'm 17 and I'm taking precalculus right now. So far it's been extremely easy for me, but we haven't gotten to the good stuff yet. On the subject of doing calculations in my head, I suck at that. My brain is not a calculator, but I do seem to have a much greater understanding of the concepts than everyone else in my class, and I put minimal effort into doing my homework, never study, and I've had crappy math teachers for the past 6 years.

I'm homeschooled, though. Therefore, I have much more time to stick with things and can move on at any time. Some teachers teach at a slow pace; other teachers teach at a fast pace and no one understands them. Please do not construct analogies between you and I. That is not what this post is for. :?

Last edited by Kmgtpezy on 20 Mar 2011, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FJP
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Mar 2011, 10:39 pm

I can't do math in my head. I am ok using paper and pencil.