Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2012, 11:04 am

At the outset I want to emphasize that I do not want to have kids, because I like the silence, and the kids in general are terribly noisy :-)

I have two nieces one is 14 years old and the other 9 years old, I like them very much, but they can be really noisy :-)

But that's not what I wanted to write, I'm interested in gadgets and electronics, I do not have very much money so I could only afford a Sony Xperia J.

Among thes pre-installed application, I found this which allows you to track kids using GPS technology, I will not use this because I have no children and i do not planning to have :)
But I wonder if this one pervasive spying everyone, everywhere has moved too far. But it Depriving kids of privacy, in this way you can bring people into absolute submission, such a man will do anything the government wishes.

I'm surprised that in my country there are people willing to pay for such services. My country went through a lot to be a democratic country for this the more I wonder. I know that these services were first introduced in the United States, a country which is considered the birthplace of modern democracy. I would like to highlight that I have nothing against the use of GPS tracking for offenders, but why use this type of equipment in relation to the innocent, where there is room for trust?

This reminds me of a quote from a very wise book

"Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: His number is 666"

Happy Reading :-)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2012, 12:30 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:

"Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: His number is 666"

It is a book by Crazy John of Patmos. Sheer insanity and the damage caused by it is tremendous.

ruveyn

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2012, 12:49 pm

What about kids that don't want the phone. My parents made me have one or else kick me out of the house. Why force phones onto the kids in the first place. Also you don't turn the gps off because it wastes battery.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2012, 1:15 pm

ruveyn wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:

It is a book by Crazy John of Patmos. Sheer insanity and the damage caused by it is tremendous.

ruveyn

What kind of damage do you mean, there is nothing wrong if people are wary of too oppressive power :)

Besides the GPS tracking by strips of privacy, although the GPS itself is a brilliant invention, makes it easy to get around the city to find interesting places, but if I was a kid probably would not want me to parents in such controlled manner, even in the toilet :-)

Perhaps I would feelf like participating in some sick reality show a la "Big Brother" :)

Eleas
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2012, 4:12 pm

The technology itself isn't evil, no matter what random phrases have emerged from imperfectly transcribed and translated oral scripture (I forget, was it 666 or 616? Both? Neither?). If someone is made to wear a tracking device against one's will, then that is something different; it's the coercion that matters, not the means. I don't particularly understand why surveillance cameras and (if you live in the USA) state-sanctioned torture would be a-okay, while a physical item that can be tracked using a number is crossing a line.

Also, it matters who is privy to this information, not just what the information is. As a preteen, I know I'd happily have worn something lightweight if it meant my parents wouldn't freak out every time I came home half an hour late.

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2012, 8:37 pm

Terrible. It's disgusting that parents are so invasive that they would track their kids everywhere they go. If they aren't being coerced into carrying the phone, then it's not so bad, but still, I'm saddened that parents feel the need to exert so much control over their children.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2012, 8:44 pm

UnLoser wrote:
Terrible. It's disgusting that parents are so invasive that they would track their kids everywhere they go. If they aren't being coerced into carrying the phone, then it's not so bad, but still, I'm saddened that parents feel the need to exert so much control over their children.

As long as parents are held accountable for their children's actions, it only makes sense to track their whereabouts. If junior crashes the car, it's mommy and daddy that have to pay the insurance, and any civil damages awarded for wrongful deaths, disabilities, and emotional trauma that junior's accident caused.

With that said, the solution is simple: Get a second, non-trackable phone. Hide the trackable phone at home (or at a friend's house). Have all calls made to the trackable phone forwarded to the non-trackable phone. No one is the wiser.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2012, 8:48 pm

When they started putting tracking devices on offenders it was just a matter of time before someone had the bright idea to use them to track other people.
Same for shock collars. It started on dogs (I hate the idea) and now similar devices are being used to control/torture so called troublesome students at the Judge Rotenberg center.
You can't stop technology and shouldn't try to but on the other hand technology carries moral responsibilities.

Last edited by Raptor on 10 Dec 2012, 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2012, 9:31 pm

Eleas wrote:
The technology itself isn't evil, no matter what random phrases have emerged from imperfectly transcribed and translated oral scripture (I forget, was it 666 or 616? Both? Neither?). If someone is made to wear a tracking device against one's will, then that is something different; it's the coercion that matters, not the means. I don't particularly understand why surveillance cameras and (if you live in the USA) state-sanctioned torture would be a-okay, while a physical item that can be tracked using a number is crossing a line.

Also, it matters who is privy to this information, not just what the information is. As a preteen, I know I'd happily have worn something lightweight if it meant my parents wouldn't freak out every time I came home half an hour late.

666. It is bible code for Nero.

ruveyn

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2012, 6:48 am

ruveyn wrote:
Eleas wrote:

ruveyn

So you think that the Book of Revelation refers to Nero not the future?

Eleas
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Dec 2012, 7:21 am

ruveyn wrote:

Only in certain versions. In others, it's 616.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2012, 11:01 am

pawelk1986 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Eleas wrote:
The technology itself isn't evil, no matter what random phrases have emerged from imperfectly transcribed and translated oral scripture (I forget, was it 666 or 616? Both? Neither?). If someone is made to wear a tracking device against one's will, then that is something different; it's the coercion that matters, not the means. I don't particularly understand why surveillance cameras and (if you live in the USA) state-sanctioned torture would be a-okay, while a physical item that can be tracked using a number is crossing a line. Also, it matters who is privy to this information, not just what the information is. As a preteen, I know I'd happily have worn something lightweight if it meant my parents wouldn't freak out every time I came home half an hour late.
666. It is bible code for Nero. ruveyn
So you think that the Book of Revelation refers to Nero not the future?

The Book of the Revelation refers to past events. Specifically, the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans in the year 70 C.E.

Anything after that is pure speculation by fundie fear-mongers and wannabe prophets.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2012, 12:52 pm

If I ever have kids, I'm going to try to get GPS implanted. In the U.S. 800,000 kids go missing every year, I'd rather be invasive than spend my life wondering what happened to my kid.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2012, 2:38 pm

MDD123 wrote:
If I ever have kids, I'm going to try to get GPS implanted. In the U.S. 800,000 kids go missing every year, I'd rather be invasive than spend my life wondering what happened to my kid.

GPS implant is worse than Orwell's novels, zero privacy, it's child abouse.

If i was such kid ans something happened to me, I would take a knife and cut it off myself I implant
I will do not care if it would hurt me, but I will be regained my privacy and humanity

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2012, 3:30 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
MDD123 wrote:

GPS implant is worse than Orwell's novels, zero privacy, it's child abouse.

If i was such kid ans something happened to me, I would take a knife and cut it off myself I implant
I will do not care if it would hurt me, but I will be regained my privacy and humanity

I'm thinking kidnappers would get less privacy, and commit less child abuse. Authorarian parents don't need GPS to keep their kids on a short leash, and if they were to use it, the problem would still be boundaries and trust issues, not the actual tracking device.

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2012, 3:41 pm

GPS on a phone: Any kid can figure out how to leave their phone in "acceptable" places while they go off to "unacceptable" places. I'd rather have children have phones so they can call their parents if they're in trouble than have them leave them behind so they won't be tracked...

Implanted GPS: NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!! !! !! !! ! What if a stalker finds a way to receive the signal??? This would probably cause many, many more crimes against children (and adults, once those children grow up! The GPS is still implanted inside them!!) than it would prevent. Not to mention some parents may stalk their own children...

After all, if a rogue doctor implanted a GPS during surgery and subsequently used it to stalk the patient, we'd be DEMANDING a long prison sentence for that doctor! Why should it be any different with parents forcing GPS implants on their children, before they're old enough to understand what's happening?

AQ: 33