Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ShelbyGt500
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jan 2013, 12:17 am

Years ago I had a ham license. I still have my equipment. If there were some autistics to chat with, I'd think about getting a new license.

MacGyverAspie
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jan 2013, 12:57 am

I have one, first got into it in 2004. There was a break in the middle and last summer I started getting back into it. I have a rig in my car at the moment.

ShelbyGt500
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jan 2013, 1:03 am

MacGyverAspie wrote:
I have one, first got into it in 2004. There was a break in the middle and last summer I started getting back into it. I have a rig in my car at the moment.

What bands do you like?

MacGyverAspie
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jan 2013, 1:10 am

ShelbyGt500 wrote:
What bands do you like?

2, 20 and 40. Since I only have a tech license, I can use only 6 meters and below right now

ShelbyGt500
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jan 2013, 1:14 am

I have a nice 2-meter repeater in a box. My favorite HF band is 40-meters. Is 40 very crowded these days?

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 4:26 pm

MacGyverAspie wrote:
ShelbyGt500 wrote:
What bands do you like?

2, 20 and 40. Since I only have a tech license, I can use only 6 meters and below right now

Funny? I got my license back in 1990 and it only allow me to use 6-meters and shorter.

NowhereMan1966
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Feb 2013, 4:39 pm

I'm an amateur radio operator, been so since 1990. I started as a Novice, got my test a month before the no code Tech came out. I upgraded to Tech Plus so I have all bands from 6 meters and up plus the Novice segments on CW HF and 10 meter voice. I'm on 2 meters only now, my rig is a Radio Shack HTX-202 2 meter handheld that does triple duty as HT, mobile and base. When mobile, I just run barefoot at 5 or 6 watts RF, most people run 35 or 50.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 4:55 pm

I've been interested in radio since I was a kid, but I mainly listened until last year, when I finally got my Tech and General licenses. I have a dinky little Baofeng UV-5R handheld for VHF/UHF but those bands aren't widely used around here so mainly it just sits. I have a Kenwood TS130S for HF and am just now figuring out how to use it correctly. I didn't have the mic gain turned up enough so I didn't use it for a while because I couldn't figure out what was wrong. The main HF bands that are used around here seem to be 40 meters and 20 meters. During daytime they are VERY crowded, it's nearly impossible to find an empty freq to call CQ on. Is there anybody on the West Coast of USA who would like to start a net for autistics and their family members?

ShelbyGt500
Toucan
Toucan

11 Feb 2013, 5:48 pm

pezar wrote:
... Is there anybody on the West Coast of USA who would like to start a net for autistics and their family members?

As soon as I get my license back, I'd be very interested.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 9:05 pm

ShelbyGt500 wrote:
pezar wrote:
... Is there anybody on the West Coast of USA who would like to start a net for autistics and their family members?

I studied with the No-Nonsense guides available from Bob Romanchik KB6NU. Since you likely know most of the material, it should be a snap. Just google KB6NU. You can look under the licensing and training section of the ARRL web site for test sessions near you. One thing I found hard to understand is how people make friends on ham radio. Being Aspie, making friends is not my strong suit. I don't even know what nets are out there, out of what I've heard so far there was like one that was open.

ShelbyGt500
Toucan
Toucan

11 Feb 2013, 10:07 pm

pezar wrote:
ShelbyGt500 wrote:
pezar wrote:

I studied with the No-Nonsense guides available from Bob Romanchik KB6NU. Since you likely know most of the material, it should be a snap. Just google KB6NU. You can look under the licensing and training section of the ARRL web site for test sessions near you. One thing I found hard to understand is how people make friends on ham radio. Being Aspie, making friends is not my strong suit. I don't even know what nets are out there, out of what I've heard so far there was like one that was open.

Interesting point. Ham radio works well for us because of the protocol for the communication. There are no non-verbal cues - when one person is done, the next takes their turn.

NowhereMan1966
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Feb 2013, 2:08 pm

pezar wrote:
ShelbyGt500 wrote:
pezar wrote:

Once I get another job, I'd like to advance my license more. Still, one thing I miss is that on Saturday nights on a local repeater, we had our "Saturday Knights of the Round Table" where we'd chat about everything from politics to computers to cars to World War II stories and so on. I miss that, I'd like to get that going again.

MacGyverAspie
Toucan
Toucan

15 Feb 2013, 11:45 pm

I've got a Yaesu FT7900 unit in my car connected to a comet SBB-5 2m-440 antenna. It works pretty well, my grandfather has the same unit and I know how to use Yaesu's so it's a good match for me.

Aside from ham radio, I also installed a Mobile One AM/FM antenna as well for my car stereo. Works way better than a stock antenna whether it's a monopole or a window antenna. Mobile One is an Australian company so I had to import all the parts to put that together (monopole, base, cable and mount). Works very well, has a 1dBi gain on FM and works great with the HD radio (IBOC) system.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 1:56 pm

May I ask if someone could talk about start up cost$ for those of us who know nothing about the Ham Universe?

Thanks! :)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 1:58 pm

$100 to $200 can get you started with a basic single-band rig. Add about $50 more for some decent RG-58 coax, build your own antenna, tune it, and you're ready to go!

You'll need a license first, of course.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 2:02 pm

license cost$?????

and are there different types of licenses?