What Multiverse/Parallel Universe Would You Visit/Live In?

Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

OMGitsKenny
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 4:16 am

Let's face it, the idea of multiple universes is astounding to think about. Imagine the possibilities of having a parallel universe you could travel to. What universe would you visit? Would you choose to live in it? Talk to yourself? Save it? Destroy it? The possibilities are endless! Share your thoughts.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 5:29 am

I'd like to live in a universe where all fictional characters are real and live in one big city/town. I would absolutely love to be friends with all of my favorites! Well, I kind of already am, but only in the imaginary sense... *sighs*

OMGitsKenny
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 5:43 am

I can see that as a good thing and a bad thing. I would love to have a drink with Connor and Murphy, go on an adventure with The Doctor, have tea with Fluttershy and have Phoenix Wright as my defense attorney, but I would hate to have an X-Men war happening in my front yard, or Albert Wesker unleashing a zombie apocalypse, or the existence of Daleks, Cybermen, Suntarians, or the existence of *gasp* Solvent Green! But, it would be exciting to have that. :)

I wouldn't mind a world where magicks were real, where we can use magic for both beneficial and destructive reasons. Personally I wouldn't mind learning to heal wounds with my hands, or shoot lightning through my fingertips. :)

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 10:45 am

I'd like to live someplace where no humans exist. All nature and animals.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 12:52 pm

PTSmorrow wrote:

How do you expect to survive.

Humans do as well as they do because they live in communities and a wide mix of talents and skills can be brought into use.

ruveyn

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 1:02 pm

ruveyn wrote:
PTSmorrow wrote:

Humans do as well as they do because they live in communities and a wide mix of talents and skills can be brought into use.

ruveyn

Provided there's access to clean water, edible plants and a few simple tools, one can survive on his own.

As a boy, I loved "Robinson Crusoe" and read it at least twenty times. But I never understood why he would want to get back. He had the best life a person can imagine, at least without Friday who was not a big problem since R.C. could easily have killed him at first sight.

I understand this would have spoiled the plot, though. But in my own imagination I'd stay there forever. And that's still a wonderful dream -- no humans. Not a single one.

kirostun
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jan 2013, 1:14 pm

PTSmorrow wrote:

I agree, me too.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 1:19 pm

During the "Third Imperium" (GURPS revision).

Quote:
The Third Imperium arose after a period known as The Long Night, when a small federation of planets known as the Sylean Federation re-absorbed the worlds of the previous empires. The early years of the third Imperium are the setting for Marc Miller's Traveller. A well established Third Imperium is the setting for Classic Traveller, Mongoose Traveller, and Traveller20. MegaTraveller and Traveller: The New Era are set after the collapse of the Third Imperium. GURPS Traveller is set in alternate timeline where the Third Imperium did not collapse.

Strephon Lives!

:D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 6:11 pm

PTSmorrow wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
PTSmorrow wrote:

ruveyn

Provided there's access to clean water, edible plants and a few simple tools, one can survive on his own.

Provided no serious accident befalls you. If you break a bone or get an infection you are most likely a goner. No doctors or
anti-biottics to help you. And if one of the wilder animals in the place you are in attacks you you are in deep sh*t. The reason why humans do as well as the do is precisely because they DO NOT live along. They live in communities where the labor can be specialized and mutual defense can be provided.

The idea of the successful hermit is strictly for fiction. Even Robinson Crusoe needed Friday's help.

ruveyn

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 7:28 pm

A universe where I have good cheap healthcare, internet, electricity, some wide open beautiful areas, a job I can complete without too much stress , oh and plenty of food. Sorry if a bit vague.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 9:10 pm

ianorlin wrote:
A universe where I have good cheap healthcare, internet, electricity, some wide open beautiful areas, a job I can complete without too much stress , oh and plenty of food. Sorry if a bit vague.

I have that very scenario fleshed out in an sf novel by Neil Smith: The Probability Broach.

See:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... ooks%2C191

ruveyn

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: California coast, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Cosmos

19 Jan 2013, 10:25 pm

I wonder what would happen if I was transported into a universe with different dimensions from our own.

If i was transported into a universe with four macroscopic spacial dimensions, I may have difficulty navigating the surface of a "planet". 4-dimensional objects may approach and strike me from directions I cannot look, or gusts of 4-d "wind" might sweep my volumetric form into predicaments I cannot navigate out of, due to my lack of extra-dimensional "flexibility", irrespective of my physical strength.

It is conceivable (within the boundaries of a thought experiment) that civilizations in a universe with more dimensions than our own might be vastly more intelligent, as Mohr's law allows packing of transistors closer together if there are more dimensions. If there are more states you can store electrons in, and more directions you can build the circuits through, then you can build computing machines of greater complexity, or grow brains with neurons that can wrap around and make connections that ours can't. Distances between clusters of neurons could be shortened depending on how they're packed into the space: 4-d lumpy brain wrinkles.
Such universes might need different masses or charges for their sub-atomic particles to account for stable electron orbits in 4-d space. Also, the distance relationships of Newton's Law of gravity may need to be modified to provide stable planetary orbits in 4-d space. (Get on that string theorists. Make me my universe!)

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: California coast, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Cosmos

19 Jan 2013, 10:25 pm

Alternately, suppose their are universes with multidimensional time. Maybe the passage of time could intermittently change between multidimensional and one-dimensional. Maybe I could separate into two "me"s and spend a year in Korea and the same year in France, and after we both got back we would merge into the same person. Then I would only speak Korean half as well as the Korean me and speak French only half as well as the French me.
Maybe there's a universe where I could split and choose to walk from my house to the library by taking 100 different paths through the city at the same time, and "we" would all arrive at door and converge into a singular person again. After stepping inside, I would see that the library is empty, because an hour before, Twilight Sparkle had diverted into 10,000,000 unicorns and checked out every last book. However, if she didn't make it home before the next chronological condensation, all of her variations would collapse to a singular state and she would get crushed to death under the mountain of books she carried. X-(
To properly exploit the situation, the variants of me who see the book pile on our way home would have to remember it and continue on our way home. We all would all re-converge at home, and the knowledge of the location of the book pile would become registered in our/my collective memory. I would then return to the book pile, separate into 100,000 me's and search the pile until we found the book(s) we were looking for.

(Edit: No, I do not condone the use of quantum chronological paradoxes to murder anthropomorphized quadrupedal champions of literacy. We are sorry if that impression has come across.)

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 11:21 pm

Here's a problem with visiting life in another universe (even if it were physically possible):

What are the odds of finding a planet with intelligent life in the first place?
let alone life with similar methods of communication? We have reason to believe whales are highly intelligent,
yet we can scarcely communicate with them at all, and we've been trying for centuries.
If you were transported into a foreign civilization of similar intelligence in a parallel universe,
you might never understand each other within your lifespan. You would have to hope that
those that find you have greater interest in keeping you alive than killing you. Even so,
you could wind up as a circus freak, or a subject of their amusement.

Supposing you transfer to a universe with seemingly ideal conditions:
A planet with ~1g gravity, and breathable, oxygen-rich atmosphere, inhabited by a benevolent,
highly communicable civilization, Yet all life on this planet is silicon-based, and the residents,
though intent on keeping you alive, cannot find or generate organic, carbon-based molecules with which to give you food?
That would suck.

Still, the possibilities are fun to think about.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 7:22 am

heaven is all that i care for, i'm just biding my time in this dimension.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 11:02 am

Fatal-Noogie wrote:
Here's a problem with visiting life in another universe (even if it were physically possible):

What are the odds of finding a planet with intelligent life in the first place?
let alone life with similar methods of communication? We have reason to believe whales are highly intelligent,
yet we can scarcely communicate with them at all, and we've been trying for centuries.
If you were transported into a foreign civilization of similar intelligence in a parallel universe,
you might never understand each other within your lifespan. You would have to hope that
those that find you have greater interest in keeping you alive than killing you. Even so,
you could wind up as a circus freak, or a subject of their amusement.

Supposing you transfer to a universe with seemingly ideal conditions:
A planet with ~1g gravity, and breathable, oxygen-rich atmosphere, inhabited by a benevolent,
highly communicable civilization, Yet all life on this planet is silicon-based, and the residents,
though intent on keeping you alive, cannot find or generate organic, carbon-based molecules with which to give you food?
That would suck.

Still, the possibilities are fun to think about.

It is no accident that carbon is the basis of life. While silicone is similar to carbon, its bonding energies make it less suitable for forming "organic" compounds. There is a good chance any life we run into Elsewhere will be carbon-water based. Even so it may be radically unlike what we are used to. Think of what life would be like if the critters from the Devonian era had survived longer.

ruveyn