Page 12 of 13 [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 4:16 pm

ruveyn wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
OTA tv got into logistical trouble with the required migration away from analog towards digital, which requires taller antenna towers for equivalent coverage. somebody shoulda thought of a better way.

It is called cable t.v. and direct broadcast t.v. which uses satellites

prob with cable is that it requires installation of cable equipment and is not free as OTA tv is. the FCC's job was to maintain public airwaves, including free OTA tv for everyman and not just folks with money. free DB [sat] tv probably could be made to work as a replacement for terrestrial broadcast free tv, but requires lots more technical expertise on the part of the end user. there could just be commercial feeds [just like there are commercial feeds in regular OTA tv] to pay for it.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 4:19 pm

I still use VHS tapes in my closed captioning. I developed a method of working where I play the tape back at 2X speed because if I didn't, I'd fall asleep at my desk. Our programming can be a bit boring.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 4:34 pm

Before Blu-Ray , VHS was the only way you could watch a Hollywood movie in high definition yet most people thought VHS was obsolete even though DVD only supported crummy low definition.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 4:36 pm

Mindsigh wrote:
I still use VHS tapes in my closed captioning. I developed a method of working where I play the tape back at 2X speed because if I didn't, I'd fall asleep at my desk. Our programming can be a bit boring.

I wish I could have a job like that.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 4:40 pm

Movie film has supported high definition for about 75 years.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 5:18 pm

^^^
but in terms of temporal definition it is piss-poor. 24 frames per second=judder/blurring of fast-moving objects. motion picture film didn't become truly high-def until douglas trumbull invented his Showscan process which is high-frame-rate 70mm film. IMAX highdef [48 frames per second] is similar.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 8:57 pm

A 120 hertz high definition television can fix the motion problems of movies but if there is ever a technology that refuses to die it is that Hollywood insists that every movie today and in the infinite future must be shot and projected at 24 frames per second. The penalty for deviating from this group think is simply you will not be allowed to work in the film industry nor will you be allowed to associate with your peers on the internet.

But the good news is that Doug Trumbull is getting back into the movie making business with his new Digital Showscan format which is 1080p high definition video shot at 120 frames per second.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 9:02 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
A 120 hertz high definition television can fix the motion problems of movies but if there is ever a technology that refuses to die it is that Hollywood insists that every movie today and in the infinite future must be shot and projected at 24 frames per second. The penalty for deviating from this group think is simply you will not be allowed to work in the film industry nor will you be allowed to associate with your peers on the internet.

both the director of titanic and the director of the new hobbit movie have both devoted themselves henceforth to high-frame-rate videography. I hope they will influence the rest along. 24 fps is SO REDUCTIVE.

androbot2084 wrote:
But the good news is that Doug Trumbull is getting back into the movie making business with his new Digital Showscan format which is 1080p high definition video shot at 120 frames per second.

1080P? why would he not be using 8k?

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 9:36 pm

Both the internet and Hollywood are controlled by the American Society of Cinematographers, which is an organization that champions 24 frames per second cinematography, and have vowed to silence anyone who disagrees with them,. They have denounced Peter Jackson and his movie the Hobbit by saying it looks like a cheap soap opera shot with a cheap video camera.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 9:37 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
Both the internet and Hollywood are controlled by the American Society of Cinematographers, which is an organization that champions 24 frames per second cinematography, and have vowed to silence anyone who disagrees with them,. They have denounced Peter Jackson and his movie the Hobbit by saying it looks like a cheap soap opera shot with a cheap video camera.

ASC are collectively blind. they make the AMA look like a bunch of radicals.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2013, 1:55 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Mindsigh wrote:

This job would be perfect for me if only I wasn't trying to support 4 people with my pay. I get to sit in a room all by myself all day and watch TV. 8) The only catch is I can never change the channel. Or do anything else. And it's religious programming.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2013, 2:18 pm

How do VHS tapes support high definition digital broadcasting?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2013, 6:04 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
How do VHS tapes support high definition digital broadcasting?

there is a format called D-VHS which records hidef broadcasts digitally.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2013, 6:05 pm

Mindsigh wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Mindsigh wrote:

This job would be perfect for me if only I wasn't trying to support 4 people with my pay. I get to sit in a room all by myself all day and watch TV. 8) The only catch is I can never change the channel. Or do anything else. And it's religious programming.

how did you get that job? what are the qualifications one must have when applying?

BrokenTrumpet
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jun 2013, 11:22 am

We have a refrigerator downstairs that's older than me, and we've never had a single problem with it. The more modern one upstairs, on the other hand, has broken down a few times.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 3:14 pm

Modern refrigerators use synthetic oil.