Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2013, 3:30 pm

I like medicine i often watch discovery and Animal planet. I wonder if it happens that someone is a doctor of both medicines

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 7:24 am

Vets, in many ways, are smarter than typical MDs. They have to be able to Dx and treat something that can't tell them what's bothering it...and they have to know several species of animal...not just one.

In a pinch, a Vet could treat a human competently...although legally they are not supposed to.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 7:49 am

zer0netgain wrote:
Vets, in many ways, are smarter than typical MDs. They have to be able to Dx and treat something that can't tell them what's bothering it...and they have to know several species of animal...not just one.

In a pinch, a Vet could treat a human competently...although legally they are not supposed to.

You know, I'd rather not want to be treated by a veterinarian, on the other hand if I had no choice :)

Indeed, veterinarians need to know the anatomy of a larger number of species than an ordinary doctor, a bit like doctors in Star Trek :-)

in the case of an ordinary doctor enough merely to anatomical knowledge of the species Homo Sapiens Sapiens :-)

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2013, 1:41 pm

Vets have to know more than people doctors. They have to know about different species. What works for a dog might actually be harmful to a cat. Then sometimes they have to treat animals of who so little is known. Wildlife vets treat rhinos like large horses because so little is known about rhinos, and horses are their closest living relatives.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain