Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

over9000
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Mar 2013, 3:48 pm

I just find the whole thing baffling. I never even knew that adf.ly existed until a few days ago.

over9000
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Mar 2013, 4:10 pm

I haven't been able to stop this site called "purchasereviews", which appeared at around the same time adf.ly did. Neither adblocker nor noscript can stop it.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

24 Mar 2013, 4:16 pm

I've come across references to adf.ly but never seen it or been troubled by it here - because NoScript stops its scripts from running and the redirection through ads cannot now occur.
Can you post a link which continues to cause ad-related problems, despite running Adblock and NoScript? I'd be interested to see how it appears on my machine.
Also, which versions of AdBlock and NoScript?

over9000
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Mar 2013, 4:24 pm

Adblock 2.2.3
Noscript 2.6.5.8

I cannot post links because they appear and disappear when I refresh the page. So yeah, any and every link I click on on any website has this problem, even if it's on Wrongplanet or my school website.

Although this page occasionally pops up:

http://www.purchasereviews.net/donate.php

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

24 Mar 2013, 4:45 pm

Hmm - Adblock, or Adblock Plus?
Your NoScript is the same version as mine but I have Adblock Plus 2.0.3.

I have no idea what's going on with links coming and going as you refresh pages! 8O
That's somewhat worrying all on its own...
Feel free to PM me a really annoying ad-laden link if you're unable to post it here.
Interesting to see what you end up being annoyed by, but more useful to see the page causing it to happen. :wink:

That said - all I see of that purchasereviews link is a blank white page, with "Please Tweet this site" in plain text and a link saying "Share", which points to https://twitter.com/share
NoScript has blocked purchasereviews.net from running any scripts here - but if I temporarily allow it, then some graphical rubbish from Prize-Party appears, inviting me to "Click on the product you want to have for FREE!". Yeah, right... :roll:
Another couple of scripts are now also barred: prize-party.com and adsmarket.com, which I've not bothered enabling.

over9000
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Mar 2013, 5:15 pm

Adblock plus.

What's really funny is, out of nowhere, EVERY LINK or many links on a certain page will redirect to an ad page, either purchasereviews or some ad for pirate 101, I know this because I sometimes glide my cursor over them, checking their destinations. When I either refresh the page, or click the link and hit the back button, all of the offending links disappear.

This has occured on tvtropes, wrongplanet, deviantart, furaffinity, youtube, and other sites I frequent. This happens at the most random times possible, so it's impossible to show you offending links or pages.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

24 Mar 2013, 6:11 pm

Oh well - that's one issue resolved, anyway: the current version of Adblock Plus is indeed 2.2.3, but apparently my version of Firefox is too old to install it... (I must get around to that system update :lol: )

Check to see what NoScript allows and blocks on those various sites where the ads appear, and also check to make sure it's not been made more forgiving than usual through changes to its main settings.

I had a look at tvtropes here: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage and NoScript was showing tvtropes.org as blocked. There were no others shown.
The site was basically functional without allowing this except some of the side-bar components didn't function - and after temporarily allowing it, they became functional too.
Now I had NoScript showing facebook.com, google-analytics.com and googletagservices.com as blocked, with tvtropes.org and google.com enabled. (I'd already globally enabled google.com some time ago). It all appears fully functional, and clicking around on stuff produced nothing weird or unusual.
Clicking on the "Reviews" button at the top of the screen caused rubiconproject.com to appear in the blocked scripts list, which I didn't bother allowing.
I'm curious to know if you have anything extra appearing there - either now, or at some point when these ads appear.

You are running Firefox as a standard, non-privileged user, I assume?
It's also worth trying what drh1138 suggested with a newly created test user.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2013, 7:00 pm

over9000 wrote:
I am currently running Xubuntu 12.04. I have noticed today something different about my computer. Whenever I browse the internet, my browsing will occasionally be interupted by a redirect to a website called adfly. My adblocker, as well as extra plugins designed to thrwart the redirection don't work, as the intrusive ads do have a "redirect" option, supposedly to redirect me to where I wanted to go in the first place, but it ends up redirecting to google. So far, I haven't found any information on how to remove the malware from my linux system.

I seriously want to strangle whoever had the balls to make that ad program....what was he thinking?!

Trying to make good money out of his victims. That's what he was thinking.

over9000
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Mar 2013, 6:13 pm

Ok, now it's doing something incredibly weird. When it redirects, it redirects to a broken website (possibly due to the noscript) with the webpage I was already at within the webpage. Like I'm browsing webpages through the webpages. Needless to say, it messes up my browsing considerably.

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 5:34 am

adf.ly is a website that "shortens" urls and supposedly gives money to whoever uses it(the more people clicking it, the more money they make,I suppose).

Some people use it to prevent their uploads from being tracked/something.

If anyone else on another laptop went to the same url they´d be redirected to ad.fly too. The only thing you can do is avoid websites that use it

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Mar 2013, 12:08 pm

over9000 wrote:
Ok, now it's doing something incredibly weird. When it redirects, it redirects to a broken website (possibly due to the noscript) with the webpage I was already at within the webpage. Like I'm browsing webpages through the webpages. Needless to say, it messes up my browsing considerably.

I still don't have a very clear picture of when and where you're getting redirected exactly, and you don't seem to be following up on the advice given here or detailing any example scenarios, so my (and likely anyone elses'; though I won't speak for Cornflake) ability to help is pretty much nil, unless that changes.

spongy wrote:
adf.ly is a website that "shortens" urls and supposedly gives money to whoever uses it(the more people clicking it, the more money they make,I suppose).

If anyone else on another laptop went to the same url they´d be redirected to ad.fly too. The only thing you can do is avoid websites that use it

As near as I can tell, he seems to be getting redirected while just being on a page, in places that normally shouldn't have adfly-shortened links. Maybe that's incorrect, but we haven't been given more detailed information.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

28 Mar 2013, 6:35 pm

over9000 wrote:
When it redirects, it redirects to a broken website (possibly due to the noscript)
No. NoScript simply gives you control over which scripts are allowed to run on your hardware. That's all.

I'm losing track of what's happening here - posting reports of odd behaviour with no clear explanation of what was done to arrive at a given state, while trying none of the offered suggestions or tests will get us nowhere fast.

It might be worth running Firefox sans-everything, in case this whole weirdness is being caused by some as-yet unmentioned add-on.
To do this, first make sure no other instance of Firefox is running and then start it manually from a shell prompt in safe mode, which will bypass all add-ons and themes.
Start it by typing firefox -safe-mode

over9000
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Mar 2013, 3:42 pm

I meant, even after using Noscript, the same websites bothering me with ads are still bugging me. I can't really explain what's going on because I have no idea myself. It shows up at random, and disappears. It's erratic, random, and impossible to describe. I have tried your suggestions.

I will test out your last suggestion.

over9000
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Mar 2013, 3:44 pm

spongy wrote:

Even websites that don't use it are plagued with the same problem. Nobody around me has the same problem. It even happens when i browse my school website.

Hell, I don't even know if ADFLY is the problem.

over9000
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Mar 2013, 4:36 pm

IT WORKED! Apparently one of the addons that allows me to download youtube videos (or convert them to sound files, couldn't tell, deleted them all) was causing the problem. I fell a little bit foolish for not suspecting them at first, but in my defense, this problem occured weeks after I installed said addons. Shouldn't it start annoying me with ads sooner?

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

29 Mar 2013, 7:16 pm

over9000 wrote:
IT WORKED! Apparently one of the addons that allows me to download youtube videos (or convert them to sound files, couldn't tell, deleted them all) was causing the problem.
Hmm well, deletion was a bit of a sledgehammer approach and it would have been useful to know which add-on caused the problem, but at least the culprit was eventually found.