Veteran

05 Apr 2013, 12:35 pm

There's a fungus among us! :lol:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2013, 7:07 pm

drh1138 wrote:
That's really neat; I didn't know fungus could absorb environmental toxins like that, or symbiotically aid plants in that way.

It's really cool to know that for all of our "advanced", modern technology and supposed knowledge, nature has its own way of getting along without, and sometimes in spite of us.

Have you ever heard this old saw: I must be a mushroom. Because everyone keeps me in the dark and feeds me bullsh*t.

Fungus lives on sh*t or its polymer equivalent..

ruveyn

techtalknow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Apr 2013, 9:33 pm

UMM..what exactly does this have to do with computers and technology?

Cornflake
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Apr 2013, 11:10 am

This forum's name: Computers, Math, Science, and Technology.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 5:35 pm

I asked an akward question to a professor about why he did not ask the class for the favorite fungus once.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2013, 7:43 am

If you're interested in fungal infections, you should check out season three episodes of Monsters Inside Me, which is one of my favorite shows. Seasons 1 and 2 were solely about parasitic infection, but unfortunately (for me), season 3 expanded to include bacterial, viral, and fungal infections, as well. I know for sure there was an episode about a kid who contracted Coccidioides.

Nash: Is there a difference?

BeautifulTechno
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Apr 2013, 9:10 am

ScrewyWabbit wrote:
There's a fungus among us! :lol:

Oh noes, that person will eat polution now :lol:

Sounds like a really good ending! :wink:

slave
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 9:38 pm

Ca2MgFe5Si8O22OH2 wrote:
and I live near the oil pipeline that just burst in Arkansas.

I was just blathering about my special interest to a friend on facebook - about how fungus can break down petroleum-based chemicals (and petroleum itself) because it evolved to break down the dead plant matter from which petrochemicals ultimately derive. this stuff literally eats diesel, industrial pesticide, fertilizers, and nerve gas. furthermore, because it is ultimately to the benefit of the fungus if it has a healthy forest ecosystem, not only does it intersect with plant root networks, but it can tell which plants are undernourished and will channel nutrients to young and weak plants to help them grow and survive. the other side of this adaptation is that it also will grow through soil contaminated with toxic heavy metals and even radioactive waste and draw all of these toxins into its fruiting bodies (the mushrooms we see above ground) where it can be easily removed from the environment. it effectively filters the soil (or water, if put in straw-bales submerged in streams) and promotes insect and plant activity.

so my facebook friend turns out to be visiting the oil spill site next week, and he is going to pitch the information I gave him about my special interest to the contractors in charge of cleaning it up! there's a chance they will chose to use mycoremediation to help clean up the spill! I'm fangirling over fungus right now, haha, this is really cool! :lol:

Actually you sound like a fungal.

Since the birth of civilization, small sets of dominant individuals have controlled the numerical majority. Even a cursory reading of world history will substantiate this claim. Kings, Pharaohs, Emperors, Sultans, Czars, and Dictators have imposed their will upon their subjects. This pattern has not changed over the millennia and it remains so, today. Our Masters rule over every nation and no one can defy them. They will attain Absolute Power as we reach the Singularity. All those who oppose their will, will be destroyed. Given the obvious futility, I will not resist. 2+2=5.