Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2007, 12:22 am

I want to install a core duo 2 processor: does that mean that I need to replace my motherboard and RAM?

unityemissions
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Jan 2007, 1:03 am

How would we know until you told us your system specs?
C2D is only socket 775 compatible and even then it needs to hit a higher fsb then all other stock intel processors excluding EE. Try to find out your mobo type then cross reference @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... 06%3A22728

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2007, 2:17 am

dgd1788 wrote:
I want to install a core duo 2 processor: does that mean that I need to replace my motherboard and RAM?

The short answer is yes, but you might not have to if you are really lucky. Do you feel really lucky?

sderenzi
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jan 2007, 4:18 pm

Insanity!

You'll likely need to replace everything, I don't envy the work ahead of you :-(

McManager
Raven
Raven

15 Jan 2007, 8:12 pm

Are you kidding me, upgrading a computer is like heaven. (Outside of the spending lots of money). If I know that my computer is going to be out of commission due to an upgrade, I have no problem. (I mean I still have my laptop) I love troubleshooting while I get the thing up and running.

Granted while I'm an enthusiast, I recommend that you do your homework before you try to tackle any sort of computer upgrade project. Otherwise you'll just waste your time and money.