Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2013, 6:44 am

Please could someone explain to me what exactly Google Glass is?

I can see that you ahve to wear a pair of glasses for it but what does this give you access to and
where is the electricity to run it?

Is it a computer system like Windows?

What exactly do you see when you put the glasses on?

I need it explained in basic terms

Also what do people think of this article:-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... tarts.html

Darkone101
Toucan
Toucan

04 May 2013, 2:35 pm

To sum them up. Google glasses is just a wearable smart phone maybe with games.

The power is just like a Bluetooth.

As far as I can tell the OS is voice control.

You see nothing when you put them on when you put them on. You can ask the glasses to show a map and google map will show up in the top corner. Same with taking a video or a phone call.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2013, 7:06 pm

Darkone101 wrote:
To sum them up. Google glasses is just a wearable smart phone maybe with games.

The power is just like a Bluetooth.

As far as I can tell the OS is voice control.

You see nothing when you put them on when you put them on. You can ask the glasses to show a map and google map will show up in the top corner. Same with taking a video or a phone call.

Thanks

I thought with them being called Google that it was like having a whole computer systeme like Windows within the glasses

I don't understand how the power works with Bluetooth as I'm not that up on how tha works either
It's some kind of wireless connectivity is all I know about it

Is it all just charged up like a mobile phone with a battery?

techtalknow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 May 2013, 11:50 am

Google Glass is a set of glasses running Android 4.0.2 Ice Cream Sandwich, and it's already been hacked. I think that Google Glass will be semi-controlled by a smartphone link and semi-controlled by Google Now's voice recognition software.

creativeaspie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 May 2013, 8:25 pm

http://whitemenwearinggoogleglass.tumblr.com/

^^^^^^^^^^^^ entertained me for far too long.

It's a wearable piece of technology that's supposed to "disrupt" the industry... not sure quite yet what I think of it so far...

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 5:24 am

Why is it entertaining?

creativeaspie

07 May 2013, 5:27 am

@nessa238

it's an internet "meme" that's caught on, making fun of the fact that most of the recipients or purchasers of the product so far are white techno-geek males.

me and my strange humor i guess...

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 5:30 am

Yes I know, that's what the link the the newspaper article I posted referred to

A number of the men in those photos are nice looking though and some are far from 'geeky'

Some of those photos look like they are posed by models too

Internet memes seem to me to be all about people being told what to find funny or cool

I like to make my own decisions

creativeaspie

07 May 2013, 5:33 am

the internet appears to be my playground and what is funny on the internet seems to resonate with me on a lot of levels. since I'm in the technology space professionally these things have an even deeper impact on me.

:lol:

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 5:47 am

You're lucky then as a lot of what seems to pass for internet humour does nothing for me!

What's so wrong with those men wearing the glasses? would you look any better in them?

I agree that generally gadgets worn on the head do look ridiculous; when I saw a colleague wearing a bluetooth
mobile phone thing that goes over the ear I wanted to laugh as it looked silly but I'd never relate it to white men specifically
and I have major problems with words like 'geek' and 'nerd' as they are essentially digs at people with Aspergers

Do the glasses only become cool when non-white people start wearing them?

'Geeks' tend to contribute a lot more to society than gangsters and yet who are seen as the cool ones?

This is why the very concept of 'cool' is pathetic in my opinion

creativeaspie

07 May 2013, 6:08 am

@nessa238

Not sure if i would call it "lucky" as I just "get it."

Contributions-aside, this site is satirical in nature. I found it funny. The end.

:)

I did note my thoughts about the tech though originally.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 6:34 am

I 'get it' too, I just don't find it funny

My sense of humour is more individual

I notice you ignored the other questions I asked - it's always the same when you try and
analyse this kind of humour - people can't defend it as it's pretty stupid!

darktemplar05
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 May 2013, 3:04 pm

forget Google Glass. Get OCULOUS RIFT!

Amberlena
Toucan
Toucan

18 May 2013, 11:53 pm

I think that they're a type of glasses that are supposed to have internet or something like that, I don't really know. I saw a video about it on Smosh, and I thought it was just a joke, but then I saw it on the news. I could hardly believe it was actually real.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2013, 7:04 am

The major selling points of Glass are the very things which make it a huge threat to the existing mobile telecom industry.

Its wearable. Granted, the glasses now may not be fashionable but once it is released you can expect them to start coming out in all shapes and sizes.

Bone-conduction sound system. This is a huge one. This little gadget allows you to hear a phone call without audio actually leaving your skull. You won't have people listening in to what the other person is telling you. Better yet, your Glass will not be blaring information out into the open like those annoying driving GPS 'turn here' directions.

HUD. Another big one. The glass turns your entire field of vision into an overlay display. No one has delivered something like this to the public market and the applications are enormous.

BIG BIG selling point: Augmented Reality. This literally enables augmented reality to become functional in every day life. Google was working on integrating augmented reality into all its products years and years ago... and nobody realized why since using that concept in a smartphone was not very user friendly (basically people had to walk with the phone pointed in front of them all the time to use it). Well.. now you know why. Glass. Not only are they delivering the device but they already have in place the software and hardware infrastructure to support its function. This is really big since the telecom and computer industry have always done the opposite: They release the new toy and then work to build the supporting stuff for it.

Voice recognition. Not a new thing but it removes the need to use your hands for input. You can easily find videos online of a Glass user just telling the device to search for directions, etc.

Multiple functions. It can make phone calls, it searches the web, it enables you to send and receive video in real time (you can activate camera and allow another glass user to see what you're seeing in real time), it does everything a smartphone can do, it can take pictures....and all this hands-free.

You can expect the price of a Glass to drop to about 400~800 dollars in a year or two of its release..just like the IPAD/Iphone.

I think Glass will really replace cellphones in just 5 or 6 years. When people see how useful and practical they are they won't have a problem wearing glasses (in the many fashionable designs available by then). Seeing someone with a handheld smartphone will be as weird as someone pulling out one of those 10-oz coke bottle sized cellular phones of the 80s. Ya know, the ones you could use a club in case of an emergency.

Jinki
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2013, 7:13 am

Google is becoming Big Brother from 1984. What's to prevent Google Glass from collecting data about the user or non-user without consent, through the use of facial-recognition technology? I would expect usage bans in some areas due to privacy concerns. The Europeans are filing suit against google so they are concerned.