Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Amrik
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Jul 2013, 3:24 pm

What do you guys think? Is it worth getting one? (click link below)

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge

ParaSait
Raven
Raven

22 Jul 2013, 3:49 pm

*drools*
Well that sure would be an improvement over this windoze 7.5 nokia lumia I'm stuck with... that thing even has slowdowns running a little NES emulator (I'm not kidding).

Amrik
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Jul 2013, 4:43 pm

I just purchased one :P

Looks like they are on target to meeting their goal! Fingers crossed.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 8:41 pm

It looks awesome. I went to have a look, but no way would I put down $600 on an untested product that'll have limited support. Plus Android suits my needs mostly anyway. There really isn't a huge need to have a phone that can switch to a desktop interface. The main thing that stops phones from already being as useful as computers is software developers making their programs limited by design.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 9:48 pm

I find the idea of a true pocket computer very appealing. Phone and tablet software and hardware are very limited on what they can do, this looks like a great first step towards a pocket computer. 32 million dollars is a very ambitious goal though, I wonder if they will make it.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 3:05 pm

Hmmmm....

appealing

Amrik
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Jul 2013, 6:37 pm

A big appeal for me is if you travel a lot then you can use the desktop option of the phone with a hotel TV.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 7:07 pm

Looks kind of cool, but what I would really like to see is are 2 and four CPU notebook systems based on Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 and 800 series CPU's. --Of course these systems would not run MS Os's.

AFAIC, Ubuntu has 'Jumped The Shark' after the 10.x series of releases, and not being tied to Google would be cool, but I think that Shuttlesworth and Ubuntu may yet evolve something not unlike Google.

--I'd rather see a Debian Phone with clear and concise instructions for the computer illiterate to install non-Gnu, non-opensource apps and software as they see fit.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 12:04 pm

I am not too sure lubuntu would work on it which is what may disappoint me as I prefer lxde desktop environment. Also expensive.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 1:36 am

Expensive? On what planet? For its specs, this is a bargain phone. It has far higher end components than current flagship phones, which cost more.