Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Amrik
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jul 2013, 3:24 pm

What do you guys think? Is it worth getting one? (click link below)

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge

ParaSait
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jul 2013, 3:49 pm

*drools*
Well that sure would be an improvement over this windoze 7.5 nokia lumia I'm stuck with... that thing even has slowdowns running a little NES emulator (I'm not kidding).

Amrik
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jul 2013, 4:43 pm

I just purchased one :P

Looks like they are on target to meeting their goal! Fingers crossed.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 8:41 pm

It looks awesome. I went to have a look, but no way would I put down $600 on an untested product that'll have limited support. Plus Android suits my needs mostly anyway. There really isn't a huge need to have a phone that can switch to a desktop interface. The main thing that stops phones from already being as useful as computers is software developers making their programs limited by design.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 9:48 pm

I find the idea of a true pocket computer very appealing. Phone and tablet software and hardware are very limited on what they can do, this looks like a great first step towards a pocket computer. 32 million dollars is a very ambitious goal though, I wonder if they will make it.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 3:05 pm

Hmmmm....

appealing

Since the birth of civilization, small sets of dominant individuals have controlled the numerical majority. Even a cursory reading of world history will substantiate this claim. Kings, Pharaohs, Emperors, Sultans, Czars, and Dictators have imposed their will upon their subjects. This pattern has not changed over the millennia and it remains so, today. Our Masters rule over every nation and no one can defy them. They will attain Absolute Power as we reach the Singularity. All those who oppose their will, will be destroyed. Given the obvious futility, I will not resist. 2+2=5.

Amrik
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jul 2013, 6:37 pm

A big appeal for me is if you travel a lot then you can use the desktop option of the phone with a hotel TV.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 7:07 pm

Looks kind of cool, but what I would really like to see is are 2 and four CPU notebook systems based on Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 and 800 series CPU's. --Of course these systems would not run MS Os's.

AFAIC, Ubuntu has 'Jumped The Shark' after the 10.x series of releases, and not being tied to Google would be cool, but I think that Shuttlesworth and Ubuntu may yet evolve something not unlike Google.

--I'd rather see a Debian Phone with clear and concise instructions for the computer illiterate to install non-Gnu, non-opensource apps and software as they see fit.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 12:04 pm

I am not too sure lubuntu would work on it which is what may disappoint me as I prefer lxde desktop environment. Also expensive.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 1:36 am

Expensive? On what planet? For its specs, this is a bargain phone. It has far higher end components than current flagship phones, which cost more.