4,4,5,7,9 - can anyone see the pattern, it’s driving me mad.

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

PickmansModel
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 7 Dec 2013
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 75
Location: 43°4′N 89°24′W

10 Dec 2013, 1:45 am

Aoi wrote:
By the above result, we could also find this sequence in the decimal expansion of pi, for instance.


Appears twice in the first 100,000 digits.


_________________
      
"...a cold and unyielding surface of polished glass..."

http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/tex ... on/pm.aspx


superluminary
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 4 Nov 2013
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 274

10 Dec 2013, 8:25 am

superluminary
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 4 Nov 2013
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 274

10 Dec 2013, 8:26 am

PickmansModel wrote:
As to your sequence, that's easy:

4+4-5+7-9=1

:wink:

(I actually stopped at this topic because I had a vivid dream late in high school of which all I recalled upon waking was the phrase "4, 5, 7, 9, spetseo, spetseo, aiophilio, betseo". Weird and striking enough to stick with me for 20 years, and similar enough to your 4,4,5,7,9 sequence that I had to stop and comment. As far as I know, the "words" have no meaning or derivation. The phonology seems Greek or Russian, there's maybe some echo of the "penta-" root in "spetseo", and "bi-" in "betseo", which would yield 4,5,7,9,5,5,x,2... No idea what "aiophilio" could be. Doesn't seem to follow the pattern of the other "words" so maybe an operator?)

Anyway...


That's a very interesting dream. To remember the sequence for 20 years is pretty cool.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,779
Location: temperate zone

10 Dec 2013, 8:21 pm

superluminary wrote:
PickmansModel wrote:
As to your sequence, that's easy:

4+4-5+7-9=1

:wink:

(I actually stopped at this topic because I had a vivid dream late in high school of which all I recalled upon waking was the phrase "4, 5, 7, 9, spetseo, spetseo, aiophilio, betseo". Weird and striking enough to stick with me for 20 years, and similar enough to your 4,4,5,7,9 sequence that I had to stop and comment. As far as I know, the "words" have no meaning or derivation. The phonology seems Greek or Russian, there's maybe some echo of the "penta-" root in "spetseo", and "bi-" in "betseo", which would yield 4,5,7,9,5,5,x,2... No idea what "aiophilio" could be. Doesn't seem to follow the pattern of the other "words" so maybe an operator?)

Anyway...


That's a very interesting dream. To remember the sequence for 20 years is pretty cool.


It is an interesting dream

None of the words come up on google.

In most Indoeuropean languages the word for "seven" is something akin to the word "September". So 'spetseo' might be seven.

"Aiphilio"? Maybe you missheard the word "ailurophilia" which means "love of cats". And in French "cat" means "four". I know its a rather free interpretation, but any port in a storm. And as you said 'betseo' might be akin to "bi", so it might mean '2'. So that incantation in your dream means 7742, and then you heard 4579. So the whole thing is 77424579.



leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Oct 2013
Age: 50
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,222

10 Dec 2013, 8:37 pm

superluminary wrote:


4 = face towel
4 = face towel
5 = hand towel
7 = bath towel
9 = heating



ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 84
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,502
Location: New Jersey

10 Dec 2013, 9:57 pm

There is no unique rule that will produce that sequence.



PickmansModel
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 7 Dec 2013
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 75
Location: 43°4′N 89°24′W

11 Dec 2013, 5:47 am

I think better visually, so I've mapped this one out to ponder:

Towel Problem (2 pages)

(Grabbed the dimensions etc. from superluminary's shared photo.)

First page numbers in sequence as discussed, second page counts from the floor up. Gaps are counted separately in case that helps anyone - they're all even gaps of 2 on the original rack.


_________________
      
"...a cold and unyielding surface of polished glass..."

http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/tex ... on/pm.aspx


superluminary
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 4 Nov 2013
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 274

11 Dec 2013, 6:30 am

leafplant wrote:
superluminary wrote:


4 = face towel
4 = face towel
5 = hand towel
7 = bath towel
9 = heating


Yes, my wife did suggest yesterday that it might have something to do with the physical properties of towels :)



superluminary
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 4 Nov 2013
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 274

11 Dec 2013, 6:32 am

PickmansModel wrote:
I think better visually, so I've mapped this one out to ponder:

Towel Problem (2 pages)

(Grabbed the dimensions etc. from superluminary's shared photo.)

First page numbers in sequence as discussed, second page counts from the floor up. Gaps are counted separately in case that helps anyone - they're all even gaps of 2 on the original rack.


That's a good description of the problem, I hadn't considered taking the gaps into account.



superluminary
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 4 Nov 2013
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 274

11 Dec 2013, 6:34 am

ruveyn wrote:
There are an infinite number of mathematical functions that will produce that sequence. So there is no one and unique answer.

ruveyn


Bu I'm hoping there is one unique satisfying answer :)



Aoi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 683

11 Dec 2013, 1:24 pm

superluminary wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
There are an infinite number of mathematical functions that will produce that sequence. So there is no one and unique answer.

ruveyn


Bu I'm hoping there is one unique satisfying answer :)


What would constitute a "unique satisfying answer"? You might consider symmetries (e.g.: alternating groups or cyclic groups), famous number theoretic functions (e.g.: Fibonacci sequence, Lucas sequence), metric spaces, etc. Some constraints would help.



leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Oct 2013
Age: 50
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,222

11 Dec 2013, 3:33 pm

superluminary wrote:
leafplant wrote:
superluminary wrote:


4 = face towel
4 = face towel
5 = hand towel
7 = bath towel
9 = heating


Yes, my wife did suggest yesterday that it might have something to do with the physical properties of towels :)


What you have is a towel warmer - so it needs the gaps so you can put your towel through and it needs enough warm surface area to provide drying for the towels and heating for the room.

Here;s the how the calculations work out: http://www.runtalnorthamerica.com/comme ... _same.html



Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Sep 2011
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 699

13 Dec 2013, 5:30 pm

It could be a pattern of add 0, add 1, add 2, add 2, add 3, add 4, add 4, etc. adding one to the number you add EXCEPT every third time, where you keep it the same. This would make the pattern continue 12, 16, 20, 25, 31, 37, 44, 52, 60, 69, 79, 89, 100, etc.


_________________
Your Aspie score: 98 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 103 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits
AQ: 33


slave
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2012
Age: 108
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,410
Location: Dystopia Planetia

14 Dec 2013, 8:31 pm

goD, I love you people!! !!

for once I am not the only one in the room that would think about a question like this



Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Sep 2011
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 699

15 Dec 2013, 2:08 pm

When I put those five numbers in Excel, highlight the cells and extend them downwards, it gives me 9.7, 11, 12.3, 13.6, 14.9, etc. adding 1.3 each time. Linear regression and extrapolation, it seems like.


_________________
Your Aspie score: 98 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 103 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits
AQ: 33


kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 2013
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 467
Location: Atalnta, Ga

15 Dec 2013, 3:16 pm

I'm probably going to make an unpopular suggestion, but here it goes anyway. Since there are undoubtedly many ways that this sequence can be formed and many more ideas as to what it could mean.

Wouldn't it be more productive and less speculative to contact the manufacturer of said towel rack and ask them what the numbers mean/ used for? If you truly needed a concrete answer that would be the only way to get it since they are the ones who put the numbers there to begin with.

My guess is it's a part list, or other mundane sequence used for manufacturing the said rack.