Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 8:12 am

I'm using an 8 year old Dell Inspiron e1505 right now. It's ancient, but runs great with Linux Mint installed.

SPECS:

CPU: 1.8 Ghz Intel Core Duo
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 7200M
2 gigabytes DDR2 RAM
80 gigabyte hard drive (replaced with 256 gigabyte SSD)
15.4 inch 1680x1050 screen

wavecannon
Toucan
Toucan

04 Sep 2014, 6:05 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
wavecannon wrote:
Six years old, iMac, 250GB storage, 2GB RAM is all I know. It often frustrates at this point, but I know new laptops that have hardly been used which are even worse

Can you upgrade the RAM on there, or was it made when Apple started soldering ram to its laptop motherboards instead of providing ram slots?

If I recall correctly you can. I'd like to save up for a new one though. This thing's served me well all the same and only started slowing down in the past year, taking a good five minutes to start up now. Very sneaky that gadget companies deliberately make it impractical to improve your devices though. I could be naïve here, but I reckon computers should be like cars, ie. if you treat them OK they should last a good decade.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2014, 9:48 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
8 years old still running Windows Vista Model GT5428

Running that no more.

My brother found several 2010 Win 7, 3 GB HP Slimline's in the street and decided to refurbish them. I requested one. While I was nervous about taking a computer off the street I was more nervous about about my old computer just deciding not to work one day. Ironically that is exactly what happened to my 10 year old monitor right after I found out about this, I got a brand new monitor to compliment my refurbished machine. Since there were several of these in the street I think they were from a company that went out of business or decided to upgrade rather then from somebody that got frustrated with a buggy machine. Can't get a better bargain then a free computer with full Office 2010 professional installed.. :wink: . And the old one is still around as a backup

So far the only fluky thing has been the machine did not like my flash drive. It froze, then did not accept it a few times before it got used to it. First thing I did was delete most of the HP bloatware.

"The lunatics have taken over the asylum" - The Specials

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 07 Sep 2014, 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2014, 10:53 pm

IPad Air. Over a year old now, but still a delight.

CeBang
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Sep 2014, 1:52 pm

2010 Acer KAV60 Netbook

O/S: Linux - CrunchBang 11 /w XFCE4 (Windows 7 Starter from Factory)
CPU: Intel Atom N270
RAM: 2GB (1GB from Factory)
HDD: 160GB

Runs flawlessly with Linux, mainly used for word processing at university.

Ornithicas
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Sep 2014, 4:30 pm

Mine is at least five years old, and until some time last year I still used Windows XP. I probably should buy some new parts soon, when I can summon the willpower and school eases off.

As it stands now, I use Windows 7 (64-bit). I can barely remember the PC model, or many of the specifics of the hardware.

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2014, 11:24 pm

This one is a Windows 7 comp, I bought it 4 years ago. On my desk, there is a Win Vista machine, next to a Win 98 computer (which I intend to have because I installed my MathCad into that one.)