Chrome causing CPU cycles to reach a little over 90%

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Darialan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2013, 6:35 pm

I am using Chrome and I frequently have 15 tabs open at once. Usually because I don't like having to reopen my frequently visited sites, even though I don't use them all in one sitting. Anyways, upon startup of Chrome the browser makes my CPU peak at over a little over 90% and causes my mouse to momentarily stutter. After it's started it sits at maybe 35%. Reloading a page makes it go up to about 60%. I have an intel Core 2 Quad at 2.66GHz and 6GBs of ram. I am planning to upgrade my motherboard, cpu and memory, though. I know it's a little overdue, but I should be able to do this in the next 3 months at least. Is this to be expected? Am I that overdue for an upgrade? Mind you, I can hold off quite a bit longer on the graphics card.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 7:55 pm

Sounds about right, you will probably find it using a lot of memory as well. --I currently use Iceweasel, whose CPU usage is about the same these days. Opera uses less CPU, but correspondingly more memory dependant upon the amount of tabs you have loaded.

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2014, 4:10 pm

Unfortunately, a lot of places on the 'net will find ways to send your CPU into endless loops. I've gone into Task Manager and found multiple "chrome.exe *32" processes, some of which were using significant CPU. Ending those tasks would kill certain tabs, letting me know which sites were using up all the CPU!

AQ: 33

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2014, 5:18 pm

No, I don't think this is expected. I would look in the Chrome task manager (Tools, Task Manager or press Shift+Esc) to see which tab or extension is taking up all the CPU time. It may well be a buggy extension or one particular web page with some poorly-written JavaScript.

DoodleDoo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jan 2014, 10:36 pm

I have a similar machine a Dell Optiplex 745, same CPU, 8 GB of ram, SSD and an AMD 7750 graphics running Ubuntu. I would go with the above poster look for errant or unnecessary extension and do some housekeeping. My box is a little souped up for a Dell of that era. How long does it hang at 90% CPU use? What is your OS?

accountinglad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2014, 3:37 pm

chrome always has multiple processes for me in task manger is this normal ?

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 3:50 pm

accountinglad wrote:
chrome always has multiple processes for me in task manger is this normal ?

Yes. It runs each tab and extension in a separate process for greater stability. If you use a tool like Process Hacker you'll see that there's one parent process for all of them.