Creating a personal email service. Possible? How?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

slave
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 12:36 pm

An email service with only one account as an alternative to G-mail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc...
I'd like to get away from third party email providers entirely.
I'd prefer to use a Linux distribution and avoid Windoze.

Does software exist for this?
Can it be done?
What if any costs will be involved?

Any input will be appreciated.
:)

Last edited by slave on 14 Jan 2014, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michael517
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 1:01 pm

If you mean get your own email address, maybe

[email protected]

You can create your own website and you get email addresses included.

I bought the name at namecheap.com, and I bought web hosting at serversanddomains.com, but they changed hands since I bought it. You can also buy the name and the website at one place, for instance, godaddy.com

Then many of them use this software called cPanel, I think it runs on Linux/Apache, but don't hold me to it. I am by far so NOT an expert on hosting, there have GOT to be Aspies with more experience than me. I had all these elaborate plans, then I found online gaming and said to hell with it. I still use my site for hosting pics. I costs me like $30/year, so I just keep it, some times I need to host a picture, but more and more websites let you upload pics any more.

I do not use the email service, I started with yahoo, picked up a gmail when I got an Android phone, and just never bothered to switch over. Keep in mind you would have to pay that $30/year.

There is probably a cheaper way to get your own stuff - I would Google it.

superluminary
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jan 2014, 3:06 pm

I'm assuming you want a name of the form [email protected]. this is fairly easy to do. This is important if you want to be taken seriously as a software developer.

I use Google apps for business for my personal email accounts. First you need to buy a domain. Hover are a really nice company here, then you set up Google apps, it'll cost you a few pounds, not much. Wire the two together following the instructions and there you go, your own email address.

The advantage of using Google apps is that you get the best spam protection, and good deliverability.

Best of luck with it!

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 4:55 pm

If you know someone with their own domain and you have a fixed IP address, they could set up the necessary DNS records.

For example, if their domain is example.com, they could set up slave.example.com for your fixed IP address and point the MX records to it. Then you can assign yourself whatever username you want, say xyz. Then you would have an e-mail address of [email protected].

That said, it's not generally a good idea to do that.

superluminary
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jan 2014, 6:13 pm

eric76 wrote:

But if you can manage it you qualify for super awesome status :)

superluminary
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jan 2014, 6:20 pm

My first own domain email was Postfix which I installed on a shared Linux box. I felt pretty cool until about a million pieces of spam filled up the little shared hard drive and it fell over and lost my emails.

I think every web developer should know how to do the basic things like install LAMP on a fresh Ubuntu box, or set up a DNS server. I'm happy to let other people handle that stuff for me now, but it's good to have some clue about how things fit together.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 8:34 pm

michael517 wrote:
If you mean get your own email address, maybe

[email protected]

You can create your own website and you get email addresses included.

I bought the name at namecheap.com, and I bought web hosting at serversanddomains.com, but they changed hands since I bought it. You can also buy the name and the website at one place, for instance, godaddy.com

Then many of them use this software called cPanel, I think it runs on Linux/Apache, but don't hold me to it. I am by far so NOT an expert on hosting, there have GOT to be Aspies with more experience than me. I had all these elaborate plans, then I found online gaming and said to hell with it. I still use my site for hosting pics. I costs me like $30/year, so I just keep it, some times I need to host a picture, but more and more websites let you upload pics any more.

I do not use the email service, I started with yahoo, picked up a gmail when I got an Android phone, and just never bothered to switch over. Keep in mind you would have to pay that $30/year.

There is probably a cheaper way to get your own stuff - I would Google it.

Thanks!

slave
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 8:36 pm

superluminary wrote:
I'm assuming you want a name of the form [email protected]. this is fairly easy to do. This is important if you want to be taken seriously as a software developer.

I use Google apps for business for my personal email accounts. First you need to buy a domain. Hover are a really nice company here, then you set up Google apps, it'll cost you a few pounds, not much. Wire the two together following the instructions and there you go, your own email address.

The advantage of using Google apps is that you get the best spam protection, and good deliverability.

Best of luck with it!

Thanks!
I am hoping to not use their products.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 8:37 pm

eric76 wrote:
If you know someone with their own domain and you have a fixed IP address, they could set up the necessary DNS records.

For example, if their domain is example.com, they could set up slave.example.com for your fixed IP address and point the MX records to it. Then you can assign yourself whatever username you want, say xyz. Then you would have an e-mail address of [email protected].

Point taken.
Thanks!

superluminary
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jan 2014, 8:31 am

slave wrote:
Thanks!
I am hoping to not use their products.

Fair enough. In that case I note that Hover offers email accounts for $20 per year. They currently have the best admin interface and a really good reputation. I would probably consider them as my first option at the moment.

Unless of course you fancy the self hosting adventure, an old box in your attic running Linux and Postfix with a static IP? You could even install Apache on it and self host your own website. It's lot's of fun, but not the most reliable solution.

sliqua-jcooter
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2014, 6:07 pm

superluminary wrote:
Unless of course you fancy the self hosting adventure, an old box in your attic running Linux and Postfix with a static IP? You could even install Apache on it and self host your own website. It's lot's of fun, but not the most reliable solution.

That's a bit of an understatement. Running your own mail server is a huge pain. It's fun for about a week, then it gets old.

Plus, doing it yourself limits your options in terms of redundancy and fault tolerance, so overall it's going to be down more often.

superluminary
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jan 2014, 6:38 pm

sliqua-jcooter wrote:
superluminary wrote:

That's a bit of an understatement. Running your own mail server is a huge pain. It's fun for about a week, then it gets old.

Plus, doing it yourself limits your options in terms of redundancy and fault tolerance, so overall it's going to be down more often.

Indeed, a complete pain in the bum, but think how much you will LEARN :)

sliqua-jcooter
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2014, 6:40 pm

That's true - before I tried configuring sendmail I never even thought about killing myself.

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Mar 2014, 10:16 pm

sliqua-jcooter wrote:
That's true - before I tried configuring sendmail I never even thought about killing myself.

This is why I have not put much effort into building a mailserver for my friend and I to use. If I could set`n`forget I would have 12 machines in my attic...

When things in my life are less hectic, I will have a web/mail server all my own to share with family and friends.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 8:06 am

sliqua-jcooter wrote:

Anything who's "In a Nutshell' User manual can stop a .22 bullet is something that you will want to avoid. :lol:

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 4:54 pm

superluminary wrote:
eric76 wrote:

But if you can manage it you qualify for super awesome status :)
I must be super duper awesome then since I have multiple computers that each include mail server software and I have the only account.