Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Cyrano
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jan 2007, 11:48 am

Various...things! I love ellipses, yes! So what creative little hacks have you learned and/or perfected? I'm not really looking for computer hacks, those I can do all by myself, but more for cheating the system, in a non-police involved way, preferably, with small appliances or parts, whatever...show me!

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2007, 1:12 pm

It's not really a hack I know, but I know how to crash a computer at my secondary school. :)

babaji
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Jan 2007, 5:49 am

You want to know about hacking?

unityemissions
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jan 2007, 10:59 am

I'm breaking this threads rule of no computer hack stories.
I run OSX86 and it is awesome. Saved me at least a grand over buying a MacPro. And it out benchmarks the machine in most cases. Oh, yeah I just got out of Jury duty by going online and filing a deferal for being a student. Not really a hack, just following through. I got my Marijuana charge removed from my record permenantly by filing an order and speaking to a judge for a few minutes when I was 18. I was the 1st person to fill this specific order in Texas as I know. The lawyers that I contacted wanted several thousands of dollars to represent me. I just talked my way through it at the court library and represented myself for a total of $15 8)
Not really going around the system though...just creatively working with it.

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2007, 4:14 am

But breaking stuff is more fun!

Gwkyou
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jan 2007, 7:27 am

I think fixing stuff is more fun, Last year I had a short obbsetion with virus. I would search lime wire, and install then. Then I would manually remove them, using tools of cures but no file scanning. Then I got an obbsetion with RATS, Remote Access Trojans, I was not good enough to remove that..... I suffered TWO f-diskings, and the obsession die.

a kick ass site is: http://hackthissite.org . I am better with the applications and my hacking buddy is better with website, so we make a great team.

Benji_million
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Feb 2007, 5:24 pm

I'm into hacking of all types. I hack into various appliances and electronics, and then I hack into websites that promote racism or other stereotyping and stuff that I'm strongly against.

Gwkyou: hackthissite.org is the best resource I've ever found!

Run
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Feb 2007, 8:40 pm

"hacking" is for stupid kids. Grow up.

But whatever - what is really bothering me is that those "script kiddies" don't even
know what "hacking" (or "a hacker") really is.

REAL hackers do NOT break into computers. So I wish people would stop
using the word 'hacking' as a synonym for cracking. I'm a (real) hacker,
and I can't even use that word anymore for myself cause people then think
I do lame stuff, like breaking in other peoples machines.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2007, 9:33 pm

How's about "maestro", for computer hackers who actually are really just ace at using computers?

I used to be on the HackersDotCom forum, though I can't hack worth a damn (I know SFA programming). I was just interested after reading "Underground" by Suelette Dreyfuss. I left after politics took over the forum.

On sabbatical...

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 12:04 am

Interesting topic, hacking without the computer angle. But all I have to add is a social engineering hack from high school. The Internet on the typing class computers was password protected. The teacher wouldn't always let us get on. We could bring our own games to play, however. Some people brought counter strike. I wanted to access the web, though, so I wrote a program in Real Basic that looked like a tetris game that had high score uplink to an internet server. Hence, it prompted for username and password when I wanted to "play." Once when the typing teacher was letting people surf on the net, she had to type in the username and password on peoples machines indivually, to let them do this, she typed in the username and password at the tetris game's prompt. the tetris game then saved that priceless info straight to a floppy.

that won me some friends for a few weeks. but my counter strike abilities were sub par.

another hack that got me some games playing on computers in the drafting class. had friends for a whole semester in that class, lol

Run
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Feb 2007, 2:22 am

Well, I have stories like that too... but I still don't consider "hacking" to mean breaking into
computers. It's just something a hacker might do because there is some reason he needs
access to a computer. For example, at school we had a UNIX box and it was just awefully
admined (in my eyes). I needed tools to be installed, and ... well, I wanted to be able to
login remotely on this box without the *social* stress of people knowing that I was being
logged in. That's an AS thing... I could not "relax" while being on the net through this box
when people could see me and ask why I was there or whatever. So, I wrote a little program
that looked like the login screen. When people typed their username and pass, it would
store it and then pass it on to the real program. Once I got the root password like that
I build in seven backdoors that allowed me to get back root, among which replacing the
login executable with a recompiled version that now also wrote the root password to some
file if they used it. I never made a secret of things I did (like installing new software, or
rebooting the box when necessary), I just acted as if I was legit root, so they knew I knew
the password. Every time they changed the password, I knew it again and they couldn't
understand that, heheh. In the end I was made official sys admin of the box, because
they didn't like the situation. By making it legal it was a solved issue in their eyes...
That is, until the root did a 'who' on the box to make sure nobody was logged in, and
then rebooted the machine. 30 seconds later I called from my home, asking why the
machine was being rebooted because I was kicked out. Then they found out I had changed
several tools to 'hide' my presence and they didn't like that. I had to change it back.

That being said-- I think that only THIS type of "hacker" stories appeals to non-techies,
because they can picture something, they understand it. General hack stuff is just incomprehensible
for them (almost by definition), so they don't understand it. Ie... I hacked my compiler to
dump call graph info during compilation... I hacked my IRC client to have a case sensitive
nick highlight. I hacked my window manager so I can move windows between two different
monitors, etc. Yet still, "hacking" in general just means digging deep into something,
figuring out every detail (down to the bit), with (in the case of computers) as automatic
result that you become the master of it. This includes writing programs from scratch.
It also includes doing mathematics imho. In the past weeks I've been "hacking" an algorithm
to calculate a product of a * (a + 1) * (a + 2) * ... * (a + n - 1) as efficient as possible.
You have NO idea how deep you can go into this. Most people would be happy with
anything that worked - some with anything that looked reasonably fast, but you can also
go to the very bottom and not rest until you have the fastest possible algorithm, ever.

Well, making this way too long and I have to go to bed...
Maybe I'll write something about this algorithm in the forum later :)

Nijihamu-chan
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Feb 2007, 4:53 pm

I've never been able to "Hack" into anything before, But I always have thought that it sounds cool!

k96822
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 11:24 pm

I've been hacking for the last few months. Been doing a lot of wheezing too. Damn, this cold!

Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Feb 2007, 1:00 pm

Benji_million wrote:
I hack into websites that promote racism or other stereotyping and stuff that I'm strongly against.

That's not very nice. What gives you the right to deface someone's personal property, no matter how much their views offend you? It's not like they're shoving their beliefs down your throat; it's just a website, and as long as it keeps them from standing on street corners handing out pamphlets, I'm cool with it.

sparkman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Feb 2007, 3:28 pm

Hacking is pretty lame. If you gain access to someone else’s system with out them knowing it or them giving permission that’s wrong. Its like picking a lock to some ones house, you might not steal anything or break anything but your inside someone else’s house and you are breaking their privacy. there is no such thing as good hacking.

The only difference between hacking and cracking is that crackers also steel confidential data, destroy software and things like that.

- just my opinion :evil:

Benji_million
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Feb 2007, 7:08 pm

666 wrote:
Benji_million wrote:
I hack into websites that promote racism or other stereotyping and stuff that I'm strongly against.

That's not very nice. What gives you the right to deface someone's personal property, no matter how much their views offend you? It's not like they're shoving their beliefs down your throat; it's just a website, and as long as it keeps them from standing on street corners handing out pamphlets, I'm cool with it.

Dude, you must be racist if you think those sites are good! Get out of my face!