Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 10:44 pm

I really tried, but Linux is just not worth the trouble. Mint was never able to find my printer, and neither could it find and see all partions and files. Puppy stopped booting for some unimaginable reason -- Debian will not install, and the latest Mint just completely took over my boot without asking and now it (Mint) will not boot!

Phooey. Too much trouble.

Nevertheless, I do sincerely thank everyone here who offered much help along the way.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 11:12 pm

Aw, too bad. But it was a journey, and sometimes at the end of journeys you go home. It was good to have you along for part of the trip.

LittleTigger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 1:21 am

I saved up and got a mac because if windows crashes
I smash the keyboard and scream and throw things.

I don't use windows to edit video anymore and it
dont crash much anymore, i just use it for office stuff
and its cool.

I only use Linux for server stuff and now all
is ok here.

Linux isn't for desktiop use. I gave up on that as well.

When society stops expecting
too much from me, I will
stop disappointing them.

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 3:32 am

Linux is more server oriented and strangely enough in smartphone OS usage such as Android, Samsung's Bada and Nokia's MeeGo/Maemo, a good smartphone OS. But it's still a very half-baked desktop OS. I got OS X for that, frankly because I think Microsoft still sucks.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 4:26 am

So once again, Macs come out on top! :D

I actually have Ubuntu on one of my PCs, though, is cool to play with like any UNIX system but I don't think I'd have it on my main computer.

against_the_clock
Raven
Raven

Location: Louisville Kentucky (if you think I don't wear shoes I'll throw them at you)

28 Nov 2010, 6:57 am

I worked as an intern for an entire year at a software company. I am now working part time there while I finish college. I switched to ubuntu after the first 4 months of working there because I found XP to be too buggy. I have since been able to do everything the other developer's do on windows on my ubuntu machine; I haven't used windows for anything important since (except when applying labels to audio files in audacity because the linux version of audacity is slower when editing labels). Sometimes I have to search a little to find the answers, but once you get something working on linux it stays working! (and in the rare cases that it stops working it is almost never the fault of the OS (I can't remember a single clear cut case at least) but the fault of the program that you are using) Windows is good if you want to get stuff done right away, but not good for the long term. Same with comparing sticking with a qwerty keyboard to the time it takes to learn a Dvorak keyboard that will be faster once you learn. (I use Dvorak as well, go figure) It really depends on what you want from your system.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 8:04 am

against_the_clock wrote:
It really depends on what you want from your system.

I want control *of* my system, and some arrogant programmer had decided s/he and Mint should take over and decide my boot for me.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 2:47 pm

nthach wrote:
Linux is more server oriented and strangely enough in smartphone OS usage such as Android, Samsung's Bada and Nokia's MeeGo/Maemo, a good smartphone OS. But it's still a very half-baked desktop OS. I got OS X for that, frankly because I think Microsoft still sucks.

I find Linux much better suited to my desktop needs than OSX or Windows, actually.

For the record, it takes significantly less time and effort to set up a Linux Mint system on my Macbook than it is to set up OS X on the same Mac.

lxuser
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Nov 2010, 4:14 pm

Orwell wrote:
nthach wrote:

I find Linux much better suited to my desktop needs than OSX or Windows, actually.

For the record, it takes significantly less time and effort to set up a Linux Mint system on my Macbook than it is to set up OS X on the same Mac.

Damn straight!! ! I have to say the same. Linux is way more well suited to desktop use in my case, its much quicker to set-up than Windows. I have used OS X before and I found Linux more user friendly and less of a pain in the arse than OS X.

against_the_clock
Raven
Raven

Location: Louisville Kentucky (if you think I don't wear shoes I'll throw them at you)

28 Nov 2010, 5:22 pm

leejosepho wrote:
against_the_clock wrote:
It really depends on what you want from your system.
I want control *of* my system, and some arrogant programmer had decided s/he and Mint should take over and decide my boot for me.

Why don't you try Ubuntu? Make a Ubuntu boot disk and it will automatically resize your partition (you can choose how much space it will take up) and set up a dual boot with it and your original OS (with your permission). And if you don't like it you can still boot into windows or whatever else you use. It is the easiest thing imaginable to do.

RICKY5
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 6:12 pm

leejosepho wrote:
I really tried, but Linux is just not worth the trouble. Mint was never able to find my printer, and neither could it find and see all partions and files. Puppy stopped booting for some unimaginable reason -- Debian will not install, and the latest Mint just completely took over my boot without asking and now it (Mint) will not boot!

Nevertheless, I do sincerely thank everyone here who offered much help along the way.

Try running puppy off of a memory stick.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 6:32 pm

against_the_clock wrote:
Why don't you try Ubuntu? Make a Ubuntu boot disk and it will automatically resize your partition (you can choose how much space it will take up) and set up a dual boot with it and your original OS (with your permission). And if you don't like it you can still boot into windows or whatever else you use. It is the easiest thing imaginable to do.

I respect your comments and I thank you for them, but I had seven operating systems on this machine and "automatic" is what just screwed things up. After months of trial-and-error learning, I had managed to manually get everything working until some kind of Mint bug after an update began "checking drives" quite unnecessarily and seems to have somehow caused Puppy to stop booting ... and then an attempt to install Debian somehow left Mint unable to boot and then a failed re-installation of Mint nevertheless "automatically" left me with now having to use SuperGrub on a disk in order to boot into anything at all. I greatly miss having my Mint installation, but Linux is far too assuming for my kind of multi-booting.

RICKY5 wrote:
Try running puppy off of a memory stick.

I have done that and enjoyed doing it, but Puppy does not seem like a good choice for daily, all-day-long use. If anything, I might set up a completely separate machine just for Mint and give it another try all by itself there.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 8:07 pm

leejosepho wrote:
I greatly miss having my Mint installation, but Linux is far too assuming for my kind of multi-booting.

You are a bit of a Sir Edmund Hillary when it comes to multibooting.

Quote:
I have done that and enjoyed doing it, but Puppy does not seem like a good choice for daily, all-day-long use. If anything, I might set up a completely separate machine just for Mint and give it another try all by itself there.

Thats what I did for the first year or so. Ubuntu had a bit of a disagreement with my motherboard about mouse functionality(the manufacturer didnt follow bios specification), so i used Ubuntu on my older computer.

jamiethesilent
Raven
Raven

29 Nov 2010, 3:17 am

Linux is a fine tool if you know how to use it properly. It can be elegant (can being the operative word) and easier to use than windows. It is, like everything, an art. An art that takes years to master. i can see why you think mac is better. But look at the price tag..is it really worth over 500+ pounds??.

James

- Cruch Bang Linux.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 4:03 am

leejosepho wrote:

Bloody heck, I have absolutely no trouble with mint, or Ubuntu for that matter, but there is no denying your tenacity. Oh well back to the land of malware, spyware, trojans and plain old fashioned viruses for you :cry:

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 9:15 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
Oh well back to the land of malware, spyware, trojans and plain old fashioned viruses for you :cry:

In all my years of computing, that kind of stuff has only really ever been a problem once years ago when I let down my guard and clicked on a link in an e-mail from a friend who did not know her machine was infected. The depressing thing about not still having Mint, however, is in simply knowing I never did manage to break free of having to pay Microsoft in order to play. But at least here in XP, I do have TallyMan's stickup to block from sight that obnoxious advert with the jumping boy.