Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 3:49 pm

Was wondering if y'll might have some suggestions for changing my Android Phone's Hostname? Currently it's a bunch of numbers and letters which have no meaning to me whatsoever. It would be a ton easier to maintain all the devices in my home, if I could name my Android devices. I can easily do this on Apple products, but it seems to be dang near impossible, for Android products. I do not have my phone rooted or anything like that. I am running 4.4.4 and have Dev options turned on, but there is nothing under that screen for phone name. I don't want to just change my name on my wifi or my bluetooth. I want to change the name so that any time my device is registered on a network, or when I plug it into my computer, that name is what comes up. Any ideas?

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 9:06 am

The only way that I can think of changing the Hostname of your phone would involve rooting it. That being said, if you change the hostname of the phone without actually owning the phone outright, (IE, if you didn't buy an unlocked handset) you run the risk bircking your phone, and your account being cancelled by your provider, as rooting your phone is generally considered a violation of TOS of many providers with a provider supplied handset.