Ok this is getting annoying, cursor keeps randomly moving...

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 2:48 pm

Does anyone else get this issue, where you are typing and then all the sudden it cuts off what you are typing and then puts it in a different part of your post. Like just normally typing then the cursor ends up back towards the beginning of my post and like starts typing right in the middle of whatever is there, or will go all the way to the end. Or I am typing a word and cursor moves back a few words so then I have to re-adjust it to continue typing in the spot I want. like its chopping my post into bits so I have to keep going back and fixing it.

Ok so my description of the issue probably sucks, I doubt anyone will get it unless they have experienced this problem as well...so anyways anyone know how to fix it? Is there a simple button I can push to make this madness stop?

Think i had this issue before and figured out to get it to stop but forgot.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 3:34 pm

Possible explanations come to my mind(the description is not too clear):

- "Scroll lock" key on. The key makes the further text being overwritten instead of moved when you type. Find it on keyboard and press it.
- Broken mouse. Check if there is no dust at your mouse optical light and under button. Also try using another mouse and see if it helps.
- Malfunctioning keyboard or mouse port. Try using different one.
- Too many devices connected to USB ports causing power shortages to mouse. Unplug something.
- Unintentional pressing of the "option" key. Not all keyboards have those and it's usually near alt or space bar so can be mistaken when one is typing without looking at a new keyboard.
- A messed up, invisible ad in one of browser tabs. Close browser and open it again, with just the tab you want to type in.
- Outdated Flash or Java.
- Flash or Java being blocked. Make sure your browser allows them.
- A virus. Make an antivirus scan.
- A background program running. Turn off computer and turn it on again, hoping the background program is not a start up one(if it is it might be hard to figure out which one it is).

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 11:18 am

May not apply to you, but if you have a laptop with a touchpad interface, be sure to either disable it completely or have the option selected that disables touchpad functionality if a mouse is plugged in. I had so much trouble working with a touchpad because the slightest touch would move the mouse icon on the screen when I didn't want it to...or worse.

Jules_Bonnot_1912
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Dec 2014, 12:05 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
May not apply to you, but if you have a laptop with a touchpad interface, be sure to either disable it completely or have the option selected that disables touchpad functionality if a mouse is plugged in. I had so much trouble working with a touchpad because the slightest touch would move the mouse icon on the screen when I didn't want it to...or worse.

I had the same idea: touchpad troubles.

You could try the FN-button (lower left) + the F7-button ... that should turn the function of the touchpad off. FN + F7 again and it's back on.

Jules_Bonnot_1912
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Dec 2014, 1:51 pm

I wrote F7, but check first if it has THIS symbol on it ... could be some other button on your laptop.

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 2:42 pm

if its a laptop, go to the synaptecs touchpad mouse driver) and check for "palmcheck" this sets the sensativity of the touchpad surface

also if its an optical mouse (for desktops or wireless mouse) check for low battery?? reset the wireless connection between the mouse and reciever (press button on underside of mouse then press button on reciever)

dirty or speck of dust on the optical/laser lens??? or even your mousepad? all these can also be reason for a roaming mouse when you type.

hope this helps.