Need some help installing Gentoo from a chroot in Xubuntu

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 3:53 pm

It's complicated, but basically, I need to figure out how to properly mount "/dev/shm", or more specifically "/run/shm" correctly in a chroot environment, so I can bootstrap Gentoo. You can find more details in the link below:

http://superuser.com/questions/852525/m ... untu-14-04

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 9:14 pm

I managed to get Gentoo to boot, but I screwed something up and deleted the install in frustration. I got Funtoo up and working in its place, but I just realized I forgot to bootstrap it. When I get home, I'm going to try and figure out how to get some video drivers working.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 10:00 pm

Tried this s**t. I don't really fully understand the /etc/fstab or why most tutorials seem to require a Boot Partition.

Maybe you could try out Sabayon.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 11:05 pm

Doesn't Sabayon kind of defeat the purpose of Gentoo/Funtoo?

Anyway, I had no problems editing my fstab file, and as far as using a separate partition for /boot/, I just opted to keep it on the same partition as /, while using my existing Grub2 install from Xubuntu as my bootloader. I had trouble adding my Gentoo boot image to the Grub2 list before, but I found a tool that allows me to configure it manually called Grub Customizer. It even uses a GUI! :D https://launchpad.net/grub-customizer

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 11:19 pm

Depends on what your goal is I guess.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 12:30 am

I have no specific goal in mind, other than to build a super-fast operating system while learning a few things along the way. Xubuntu is nice, but I'm sure that I can come up with something that suits my needs without all the unnecessary bloat. I've always wanted to try a Linux From Scratch system, but I don't quite have the coding skills for it, so Gentoo/Funtoo provides a nice base for me to work with.

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Dec 2014, 5:28 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I have no specific goal in mind, other than to build a super-fast operating system while learning a few things along the way. Xubuntu is nice, but I'm sure that I can come up with something that suits my needs without all the unnecessary bloat. I've always wanted to try a Linux From Scratch system, but I don't quite have the coding skills for it, so Gentoo/Funtoo provides a nice base for me to work with.

LFS doesn't really require any coding skills. Just familiarity with working from a terminal. Still, Gentoo is good practice if you want to try your hand at it later down the road. I recommend using a tool called 'paco' (it's on SourceForge) in lieu of a full package management system. It traces files created during package installation and outputs them to a list in /var/log. It's easy to install it into your temporary toolchain and use it during the final build process, with a little creativity.

Looks like you've answered your own question. Just for sake of completeness, here is what LFS has to say about virtual kernel filesystems: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/development/chapter06/kernfs.html.