Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

DRzero
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Mar 2015, 8:36 pm

Hello. I'm a linux newb. I found out about Antergos Linux from someone in WP. Antergos is a variant of Arch Linux that is easy to install and adheres to Arch's philosophy of minimalism, simplicity, and user control.

I used to have Ubuntu on my laptop, but I didn't care for it, because it seemed bloated, it had a lot of features I didn't want, and I couldn't tell which ones were necessary. When I first installed it, I couldn't even figure out how to launch a terminal window! I couldn't stand the desktop Unity desktop that came with it. I changed desktops a few times, but never liked any of them.

Antergos is the first linux distro I've installed by myself. It's a "rolling release", meaning you don't have to install a new version every couple years or whatever. You just have to perform the minor updates once in a while (and my laptop seems to prompt me what they are, plus doing the updates just requires clicking on a button). I chose the default Cinammon UI, which is great. The Nemo file manager is easy to use, and many packages are easy to install using Pacman.

Sometimes, I find that doing something is harder than it would have been with Ubuntu, but I always learn something in the process. And that's OK with me. One of the reasons I'm using Linux is to learn more about computing. If I wanted everything to be easy to do, I'd always use Windows (and I do use Windows most of the time).

I hope there are others out there who can share tips about Antergos.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 1:22 am

kewl!
keep at it!

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 8:44 am

Antergos (and Arch Linux in general) is a fantastic distro. Too bad so few people realize this.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 1:02 am

Sorry, not a fan of rolling release distros due to the fact that it's very easy to 'break' your system. I run Debian Stable, and now that Debian Testing has been frozen I use that as well, on this machine, and inside a VM on my other machine.

Still though If you like Antegros, good luck.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

06 Mar 2015, 9:03 pm

cool man, i'm going to check it myself now

DRzero
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Mar 2015, 11:04 am

What does it mean to "break" a system?

You can PM me if you think it's a better way to discuss it.

Jacoby wrote:
cool man, i'm going to check it myself now

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2015, 4:25 pm

DRzero wrote:
What does it mean to "break" a system?

Breaking a system means rendering a system inoperable, or partially inoperable due to missing,uninstalled, or conflicting libraries.