Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Lazenca_x
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Mar 2007, 8:03 am

i have a problem with my external HD. my computer is unable to detect it even though it functions well on other computers. I've replaced my power supply unit because somene had advised me that my power supply did not provide enough power to the HD. The problem still persists. Might someone have a clue as to what could be wrong wit my PC

My PC's specs are:
Windows XP profesional version 2002 + sp2
ASRock M266A Motherboard
Inter celeron 2.4 GHZ processor
Power supply delivering 300 W of power
736 mb RAM

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

20 Mar 2007, 8:28 am

http://www.pcuser.com.au/pcuser/hs2.nsf ... 21000D9E80

Quote:
Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management. On the right you should see a list of drives, with your new 120G drive somewhere within (if you have one other disk, it should be labelled Disk 1, with the primary drive called Disk 0).

Right-click the entry, choose to ‘initialise’ the drive, and follow the wizard.

It then says to partition and format but if you allready got data on the drive it would be destroyed so do not do that I guess.

After Control panel you click on performance and maintence to get to Adminstrative tools.

squier
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2007, 10:46 am

Lazenca_x wrote:
i have a problem with my external HD. my computer is unable to detect it even though it functions well on other computers. I've replaced my power supply unit because somene had advised me that my power supply did not provide enough power to the HD. The problem still persists. Might someone have a clue as to what could be wrong wit my PC

My PC's specs are:
ASRock M266A Motherboard
736 mb RAM

the computer doesn't know the name for it
for example mine has the name Q
sometimes it will appear as (insert the letter that represents your HD's name here): drive

my book:
http://www.lulu.com/content/710903

sternn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Mar 2007, 11:17 am

Try experimenting with different ports. I've had trouble with some machines not supplying enough power over some USB ports.

Lazenca_x
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Mar 2007, 11:59 am

TheMachine1 wrote:
http://www.pcuser.com.au/pcuser/hs2.nsf/web/2E5BCFFF30B862E8CA256E21000D9E80

Quote:
Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management. On the right you should see a list of drives, with your new 120G drive somewhere within (if you have one other disk, it should be labelled Disk 1, with the primary drive called Disk 0).

Right-click the entry, choose to ‘initialise’ the drive, and follow the wizard.

It then says to partition and format but if you allready got data on the drive it would be destroyed so do not do that I guess.

After Control panel you click on performance and maintence to get to Adminstrative tools.

It's already been formated and initialised - had to do it on someone elses pc :roll: Anyway thanks for the advice. i'll try taking it to a PC repair shop.

lpq
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Mar 2007, 12:01 pm

has your cable been damage, because if it has there's a good chance that it could be that. Are you using a different cable then the one that was provided with it, some none HD usb cable don't seem to be able to provide enough juice, I know, I broke mine and had to replace it with a double usb male head to mini b male. The other cable wouldn't work

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2007, 12:35 pm

Lazenca_x wrote:

My PC's specs are:
ASRock M266A Motherboard
736 mb RAM

I doubt if your USB connection can supply enough power to power that hard drive. My USB hard drive enclosure has a separate power supply. Doesn't yours?

lpq
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Mar 2007, 12:42 pm

Lazenca_x wrote:

My PC's specs are:
ASRock M266A Motherboard
736 mb RAM

What kind of external HD is it laptop or desktop size?

Lazenca_x
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Mar 2007, 12:59 pm

It's a laptop external HD. The cable works. I know this because I can use it on other computers withought a problem :roll: I've tried all the prots and still nothing. The cable has an extra head which is supposed to be used to supply extra power but that does not do the job either :cry:

matt271
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2007, 1:43 pm

try uninstalling all ur USB controllers in ur device manager. then do an add new hardware, and ur comp should reinstall them. then they should work
i had this problem b4 on xp sp2, but it was w/ my usb IR receiver. this fixed it.

sternn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Mar 2007, 2:36 pm

You might want to try a powered USB hub, and see if that fixes it. If not, then there's something funky with your USB drivers.

Lazenca_x
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Mar 2007, 2:55 pm

:) Thanks i'll give that a try. I'll look for one this saturday.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2007, 4:15 pm

I'm pretty sure the HD needs a separate power supply.

Lazenca_x
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Mar 2007, 5:03 pm

Well, this one is supposed to draw its power from the usb ports themselves :wink:

sternn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Mar 2007, 5:08 pm

Remnant wrote:

Quite a few 2.5" drives and enclosures are powered by USB. They usually require Y-cables due to their power requirements.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2007, 5:13 pm

sternn wrote:
Remnant wrote:

Quite a few 2.5" drives and enclosures are powered by USB. They usually require Y-cables due to their power requirements.

Thank you, good point.