Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 7:05 pm

My laptop has it and a small form factor machine I play with has it, but the machine I use for almost everything doesn't have it. It runs Windows 7, obviously meets the specs, and SHOULD have the icon.

The shop that sold it to me recommended a patch of some sort that's known to solve the problem (someone put it into a dropbox account), and on a Microsoft website forum, one of their moderators posted a link to the same patch.

Obviously, I'm not the only person to have the problem.

Problem is, the patch doesn't actually come from MS, so I'm wary.

Do any of you NOT have the icon on a Windows computer that SHOULD have it? If so, do you know about the patch? Did you use it? If not, why?

Would appreciate some help here.

If you're dealing with the problem, how are you handling it?

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 7:25 am

i didn't get it at my home machine at first, while my work machine did (and that one is, as expected, weaker than my home rig).

i solved it by forcing a windows update and dragging in all patches; even the lowest-ranked optionals (like the performance updates for the bing bar in IE); one of those added the proload icon

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 11:03 pm

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-get-t ... -missing/'

Download the zip file in the article, extract the program.
Then run said program and follow the instructions at the program start screen
It will then give you the Windows 10 button.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 3:05 pm

xenocity wrote:
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-get-the-windows-10-upgrade-icon-if-its-missing/'

Pretty sure that's the "patch" I mentioned, but I've been warned about getting it thru CNET. There's a lot of stuff over there that's been found to contain bloatware and even malware.

I'd rather get it from the link the Microsoft forum mod recommended. ('I've checked it out, and it's malware free.')

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 99a883265b
[scroll down on the page to find it]

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 3:28 pm

Sethno wrote:
Pretty sure that's the "patch" I mentioned, but I've been warned about getting it thru CNET. There's a lot of stuff over there that's been found to contain bloatware and even malware.

I'd rather get it from the link the Microsoft forum mod recommended. ('I've checked it out, and it's malware free.')

Seems like good advice. CNET is a cesspool these days.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 5:08 pm

Sethno wrote:
xenocity wrote:
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-get-the-windows-10-upgrade-icon-if-its-missing/'

CNet is owned (most likely fully now) by Microsoft.
You technically download it form Drop Box, via CNet.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 5:11 pm

I had the icon, but it was annoying me so I got rid of it. It took some googling, but it turns out it was introduced in an update, and a non-essential one at that.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 7:32 pm

xenocity wrote:

True.

Have you by any chance used the dropbox file, or do you know anyone who has?

That was one of my questions-
Does anyone else have this problem, and have you used the patch (or whatever it is) to fix it, and how did it go?

Just seems odd to me Microsoft has to be aware of the problem, and yet they let a 3rd party fix it.

I've considered backing everything up, and using my computer's restore disc, wiping the drive and then reinstalling my programs and files AFTER I've got the Windows 10 icon.

Might even get a new hard drive before I do that.

It'd be nice to know that wouldn't be necessary, and someone telling us they used the dropbox file and it worked great would help...

Unless they're just saying it to get me to use it. :D

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 8:56 pm

Sethno wrote:
xenocity wrote:

True.

Does anyone else have this problem, and have you used the patch (or whatever it is) to fix it, and how did it go?

Just seems odd to me Microsoft has to be aware of the problem, and yet they let a 3rd party fix it.

I've considered backing everything up, and using my computer's restore disc, wiping the drive and then reinstalling my programs and files AFTER I've got the Windows 10 icon.

It'd be nice to know that wouldn't be necessary, and someone telling us they used the dropbox file and it worked great would help...

Technically Microsoft had a hand in creating it, but refused to formally issue (they'd rather you buy a new copy).
I've used the file it works as intended, no problems.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2015, 1:12 pm

xenocity wrote:
Sethno wrote:
xenocity wrote:

True.

Technically Microsoft had a hand in creating it, but refused to formally issue (they'd rather you buy a new copy).

That part of what you say I don't understand. Windows 10 is free for people all over the planet. You won't have to pay for it unless you install after its first year is up.

xenocity wrote:
I've used the file it works as intended, no problems.

Thanks!

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2015, 4:17 pm

Sethno wrote:
xenocity wrote:
Sethno wrote:
xenocity wrote:

True.

That part of what you say I don't understand. Windows 10 is free for people all over the planet. You won't have to pay for it unless you install after its first year is up.

That's not what I meant.
Microsoft owns the program that checks to make sure you can receive a free copy of Windows 10 and puts the Icon on your desktop.
They silently released it to market, in hopes that those who had issues with the last patch and didn't get the Windows 10 icon, would go out a buy a retail copy of Windows 10 instead of searching for a work around.

Microsoft is not going to go out of their way to make sure those who are eligible for the upgrade know it.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 9:59 pm

xenocity wrote:
...Microsoft is not going to go out of their way to make sure those who are eligible for the upgrade know it.

I don't know why. They're the ones who offered it for free to begin with. This was THEIR choice. Why would they suddenly do an about face for just some people?

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 11:07 pm

Sethno wrote:
xenocity wrote:
...Microsoft is not going to go out of their way to make sure those who are eligible for the upgrade know it.

I don't know why. They're the ones who offered it for free to begin with. This was THEIR choice. Why would they suddenly do an about face for just some people?

It's not an about face, they just aren't going out of their way to make sure you upgrade.
They are releasing everything and you the consumer must figure it out.

I upgraded last night by downloading the Windows 10 media installer from Microsoft, since the Windows 10 upgrade icon disappeared on me.
That's how I upgraded.

Most people will give up if things don't work easily than researching the issue to get it, thus going out an purchasing a copy of Windows 10.
Microsoft isn't the bad guy here, if people want to take the easy road even if costs them money.

Andoras
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jul 2015, 1:06 am

My little brother was able to update hius Win 8.1 operation system to win 10 by the Windows update. Just like when you are updating your windows normally. :D

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 2:31 pm

I've got three questions.

Now that Microsoft actually put up a webpage where you can download a tool that will in turn download Windows 10 for you...
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

First-

Once the download is on your computer, and the instructions are talking about burning the .iso file to DVD, it says "make sure you have the install key". Has anyone used the download tool to get their copy of 10, and if you have, when does the key show up? Are they talking about the key to your previous version of Windows, or does 10 come with a new one?

Second-

The download tool gives you different options on what type of Windows 10 to download. (Home vs. Pro, 32 vs. 64...) Do you have to download the same type you already had? If I have 7 Home 32 on a computer, can I get 10 Pro 64?

Third-

(I guess this depends on the answer to the first question, but...) Would you be able to use one of these .iso-made DVDs to install Windows 10 on a blank hard drive, or on a machine that had been running Linux?

If anyone knows the answers to any of these questions, your answer(s) will be appreciated.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 5:02 pm

I used it to upgrade.
When you launch the program, it will ask you if you want to create a Windows 10 USB or DVD from the ISO or just upgrade this PC.

On the next screen it will ask you if you want 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 10. If you have 64-bit processors, install 64-bit version.

Then it will scan your Windows to determine which version of 10 to download. If you have at least the pro version you will get 10 pro.

Then it will then download Wibdows 10, if you don't have enough room to start the install you will be greeted with a screen to launch disk clean up and/or using slab external device to aid in the install.

After that it installs taking about 40 minutes or more and 3 restarts.

It's very easy to use, I've gone through it already