eric76
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2015, 11:42 pm

Fnord wrote:
eric76 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
... The real message on the anti GMO side is that Dr. Frankenstein is working on your food, tinkering with the laws of God and Monsanto has built the industrial machinery of the Krel and we will all be destroyed by monsters from the Id if we don't shut them down before it's too late! ...
The motivation seems to be to convince the ignorant rabble that the "Certified Organic" label makes stunted, twisted, and blighted vegetables worth twice as much as normal vegetables. So that a farmer who is too lazy to take good care of his crops can increase his profit margin on a lesser yield by declaring that his veggies were organically grown. I tell you, it's a racket, and the anti-GMO sheeple are too brainwashed to see it.
I've read that organic farmers are permitted to use a variety of pesticides and chemicals on their crops and still call them "organic".
... as long as those substances are not produced by Monsanto, I'd wager ... :roll:

I would imagine that Monsanto does concentrate on more modern pesticides.

One thing I wonder about the "natural pesticides" is how long do they persist in the environment? That is, how quickly do they break down into harmless chemicals?

And how does that compare to the more modern pesticides?

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 6:25 pm

eric76 wrote:
One of my pet peeves is when someone claims that GMO and selective breeding are equivalent. Some particularly ignorant people even go so far as to claim that selective breeding results in GMOs.

First of all, the term GMO was explicitly coined to refer to organisms who's genome has been altered by certain modern genetic engineering. Prior to the development of those techniques, there were not GMOs. It would have been absolutely impossible for GMOs to exist without those techniques.

The ends are the same; the means are just different.

Quote:
In most cases, the techniques of modern genetic engineering are used to introduce genes from entirely different organisms, not to try to advance genes from within the organism's genome. To compare that to selective breeding, you would be talking about things like trying to cross corn with bacillus thuringiensis instead of with other strains of corn.

This boils down to what genes they are introducing. Nobody is deliberately injecting harmful genes (eg. genes that might cause allergic reactions in a significant number of people) from one plant into another plant. The genes from the bacillus thuringiensis are carefuly picked by professional scientists who know what they are doing (or at least knows more about it than random people on the internet).

Pretty much every serious producer tests the result thoroughly to make sure it's safe.

Quote:

That said, I'm not sure about whether you could make that claim if you were using GMO techniques to try to remove genes from the genome of a plant. I suspect that it would be invalid unless there were closely related plants without the gene or genes you are attempting to remove. One example of this would be if you tried to remove the allergens from peanuts by using genetic engineering. (Having developed allergies to peanuts about twenty years ago, I would really like to see this done -- I miss being able to eat peanuts.)

People have also bred on spontaneous mutations (you know, genes that are not "naturally" found in that organism) for generations. There are numerous examples, such as sheep wool, myostatin deficiency. Cauliflower, cabbage and broccoli are all a result of unnatural selection from the same plant. Lastly, crossbreeding has been practiced for thousands of years to introduce new genes.

Quote:
By the way, don't assume that I'm anti-GMO because of this.

Good. Anti GMO activists are exactly like anti vaccine activists or 9/11 "truthers".

Quote:
The fact is that I find it abominable that someone would resort to such ignoble tactics to try to argue the point. It would be like trying to argue that George Washington was a great President by making up lies about how good he was -- we don't need the lies.

George Washington was a product of his time, but did a decent job representing the newly founded republic. The US didn't become great because of anyone on mt. Rushmore, but because of capitalists like Vanderbilt, Rockefeller, Branson, Gates, and Ford.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 6:28 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Kurgan wrote:

This is how corn looked like before selective breeding. GMO and selective breeding are two sides of the same coin; both are inherently harmless--and both are solutions to food shortage. The only difference is that GMO is faster and a lot more efficient.

Selective breeding does not sound so bad...also it seems more like the purpose of GMO is to give certain companies monopoly on the crops/food grown throughout the world, so people will have to depend upon them for food....when their toxic pesticides these crops have been made to withstand and political lobbying effectively stops organic and/or general non GMO food from growing. Seems 'we're helping world hunger' is a cute cover for the true intent here. I don't doubt their are ignorant/brainwashed people on the anti-GMO side who just wanted a bandwagon to jump onto...but I think there are plenty of those in the 'Don't even question GMO its all positive and good, and Monsanto is really looking out for us all.' crowd.

To quote Penn Jillette: "We should be skeptical to governments [corporations probably count as well], but we shouldn't just make sh!t up".

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 12:06 am

Kurgan wrote:
eric76 wrote:
One of my pet peeves is when someone claims that GMO and selective breeding are equivalent. Some particularly ignorant people even go so far as to claim that selective breeding results in GMOs.

First of all, the term GMO was explicitly coined to refer to organisms who's genome has been altered by certain modern genetic engineering. Prior to the development of those techniques, there were not GMOs. It would have been absolutely impossible for GMOs to exist without those techniques.

But the ends are not the same.

Selective breeding will introduce genes from another variety or from a closely related species in to the genome of the plant. Genetic engineering techniques could do that (I understand that there is currently some work going on to do that in limited cases), but the real effort is to introduce genes from very different sources that could never be introduced into the genome via selective breeding.

Quote:
Quote:
In most cases, the techniques of modern genetic engineering are used to introduce genes from entirely different organisms, not to try to advance genes from within the organism's genome. To compare that to selective breeding, you would be talking about things like trying to cross corn with bacillus thuringiensis instead of with other strains of corn.

This boils down to what genes they are introducing. Nobody is deliberately injecting harmful genes (eg. genes that might cause allergic reactions in a significant number of people) from one plant into another plant. The genes from the bacillus thuringiensis are carefuly picked by professional scientists who know what they are doing (or at least knows more about it than random people on the internet).

Pretty much every serious producer tests the result thoroughly to make sure it's safe.

This particular issue is not about safety, but about the correct use of the terminology. The incorrect use of the terminology shows a definite lack of understanding of the science involved.

Quote:
Quote:

That said, I'm not sure about whether you could make that claim if you were using GMO techniques to try to remove genes from the genome of a plant. I suspect that it would be invalid unless there were closely related plants without the gene or genes you are attempting to remove. One example of this would be if you tried to remove the allergens from peanuts by using genetic engineering. (Having developed allergies to peanuts about twenty years ago, I would really like to see this done -- I miss being able to eat peanuts.)

People have also bred on spontaneous mutations (you know, genes that are not "naturally" found in that organism) for generations. There are numerous examples, such as sheep wool, myostatin deficiency. Cauliflower, cabbage and broccoli are all a result of unnatural selection from the same plant. Lastly, crossbreeding has been practiced for thousands of years to introduce new genes.

But from other strains or from closely related plants.

Quote:
Quote:
By the way, don't assume that I'm anti-GMO because of this.

Good. Anti GMO activists are exactly like anti vaccine activists or 9/11 "truthers".

Quote:
The fact is that I find it abominable that someone would resort to such ignoble tactics to try to argue the point. It would be like trying to argue that George Washington was a great President by making up lies about how good he was -- we don't need the lies.

George Washington was a product of his time, but did a decent job representing the newly founded republic. The US didn't become great because of anyone on mt. Rushmore, but because of capitalists like Vanderbilt, Rockefeller, Branson, Gates, and Ford.

The US became great largely because of its foundation on such great Classical Liberal developments such as Capitalism and the US Constitution. (Remember that Classical Liberalism is not the mis-named liberalism of today.)

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 9:28 am

eric76 wrote:

Selective breeding will introduce genes from another variety or from a closely related species in to the genome of the plant. Genetic engineering techniques could do that (I understand that there is currently some work going on to do that in limited cases), but the real effort is to introduce genes from very different sources that could never be introduced into the genome via selective breeding.

No offense, but that's the "appeal to nature" fallacy. You can't use whether something is "natural" or not to determine if it's right or wrong.

Quote:
This particular issue is not about safety, but about the correct use of the terminology. The incorrect use of the terminology shows a definite lack of understanding of the science involved.

You modify DNA to get desired traits; there's nothing more to it.

Quote:
The US became great largely because of its foundation on such great Classical Liberal developments such as Capitalism and the US Constitution. (Remember that Classical Liberalism is not the mis-named liberalism of today.)

I'm familiar with the terminology used in the US. Most democrats are still social-liberalists, and most neocons are still conservatists in the traditional sense (market liberalism is not synonymous with classical liberalism).

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 10:44 am

eric76 wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
eric76 wrote:

And the problem is...? DNA is DNA. All known life uses the same basic genetic language. A gene from a bacterium is not meaningfully different from a gene from a sheep, and the exact source organism of a gene to introduce into GMO crops or livestock is completely irrelevant. If you believe otherwise, it's because you don't understand biology.

Quote:

I'm a biologist. Equating selective breeding with GMO is not an abuse of terminology and indicates a clearer understanding of the science involved than people who think there's some magical division between taxa that should prevent genes being crossed between distantly related organisms.

Quote:

Whether from algae or a bacterium or a potato, genes are genes. Nothing in the fundamental nature of the gene tags it as belonging to one branch or another on the tree of life.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 11:06 am

Kurgan wrote:
eric76 wrote:

No offense, but that's the "appeal to nature" fallacy. You can't use whether something is "natural" or not to determine if it's right or wrong.

Where did I make any claim that it was wrong?

What I said was that it is ignorant to confuse the two. It has nothing to do with whether using it is right or wrong.

Quote:
Quote:

You modify DNA to get desired traits; there's nothing more to it.

The term GMO is used strictly to refer to organisms who's DNA has been modified with the use of certain techniques. If you did not use those techniques, than it is not a GMO and it is a gross error to refer to it as a GMO or to talk like they are the same. They are not.

It has nothing to do with right or wrong or with healthy or not healthy. It has to do with the proper use of the language.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 11:24 am

Orwell wrote:
eric76 wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
eric76 wrote:

And the problem is...? DNA is DNA. All known life uses the same basic genetic language. A gene from a bacterium is not meaningfully different from a gene from a sheep, and the exact source organism of a gene to introduce into GMO crops or livestock is completely irrelevant. If you believe otherwise, it's because you don't understand biology.

The term GMO only refers to organisms who's DNA was modified with the use of modern genetic engineering techniques. If you can't understand that, then you don't understand language.

Think about it like this: If the term GMO could be used to refer to the selective breeding, then we wouldn't need the term at all. There would be no use in having yet another term to refer to the same thing. The term GMO is used to allow us to differentiate between organisms who's genomes were modified by modern genetic engineering techniques and those that weren't.

Quote:
Quote:

I'm a biologist.

Then why don't you understand the meaning of the term GMO?

Quote:
Equating selective breeding with GMO is not an abuse of terminology and indicates a clearer understanding of the science involved than people who think there's some magical division between taxa that should prevent genes being crossed between distantly related organisms.

Genes can indeed cross between even unrelated species and it is known as either horizontal gene transfer or lateral gene transfer. Would you call that selective breeding? I sure wouldn't make that mistake.

Quote:
Quote:

Whether from algae or a bacterium or a potato, genes are genes. Nothing in the fundamental nature of the gene tags it as belonging to one branch or another on the tree of life.

I didn't claim that there is a significant difference.

Get this straight. The term GMO refers ONLY to organisms who's genomes have been modified by the modern genetic engineering techniques. There were no GMOs before those techniques were invented.

The late Dr Norman Borlaug is well known around the world for his work in wheat. In the mid 1940s in Mexico, he crossbred their wheat which was too tall and fragile with a Japanese dwarf wheat to produce a wheat that didn't have a problem with the heads breaking off before harvest. That wheat was not a GMO wheat.

If on the other hand, he had the modern techniques of genetic engineering available to him and he used those techniques to introduce the genes from the Japanese dwarf wheat into the Mexican wheat, then that wheat would be a GMO wheat.

Use the modern genetic engineering techniques and it is a GMO. Don't use them and it isn't a GMO even if the results are exactly the same.

The term GMO simply refers to whether or not certain techniques were used, nothing more and nothing less. It says nothing at all about the source of the genes. It just so happens that the genes that we typically see introduced are from completely different sources.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 2:31 pm

Oh, right. Autistic forum. Getting hung up on terminology is par for the course here.

Quote:
The term GMO only refers to organisms who's DNA was modified with the use of modern genetic engineering techniques. If you can't understand that, then you don't understand language.

Think about it like this: If the term GMO could be used to refer to the selective breeding, then we wouldn't need the term at all. There would be no use in having yet another term to refer to the same thing.

Language (especially English language) is filled with redundancies and discrepancies. Arguing by virtue of trying to maintain perfect consistency and parsimony in language misses the point.

On purely pedantic grounds, yes: "genetic engineering" refers to a specific set of techniques. It does not, however, refer to the outcome itself - as you demonstrated with your dwarf wheat example. When GMO advocates refer to it as equivalent to selective breeding, this outcomes-based approach is what they're thinking of. They say the two are "equivalent" because the outcomes and risk levels are equivalent, and those are the relevant considerations in food production (not too many people care all that much about the process behind the food).

CynthiaLane
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Nov 2015, 3:04 am

Though scientists never found side effects in GMOs, but most people are still choose to nature food. who knows GMOs will cause some unknown problems.
But recombinant DNA technology benefits human life indeed.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2015, 3:16 am

i'm not entirely happy about ingesting BT toxin. i'd also rather GMO products be labeled. why is monsanto fighting labeling? people deserve a choice, be it based on the best science or not.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2015, 10:50 am

cathylynn wrote:
i'm not entirely happy about ingesting BT toxin. i'd also rather GMO products be labeled. why is monsanto fighting labeling? people deserve a choice, be it based on the best science or not.

As I understand it, BT only works in an alkaline stomach. Your stomach isn't at all alkaline. It can't affect you at all.

In addition to that, you aren't aware of it, but a great many plants that you do eat do produce their own pesticides as well. Are you ready to give up foods like parsley, celery, mushrooms, cabbage, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, pepper, basil, fennel, nutmeg, mace, pineapple, cocoa, honey, apples, carrots, cherries, pears, lettuce, plums, grapes, potatoes, and apricots? And that's just a few.

The list is from a journal paper: Bruce N Ames, Margie Profet, and Lois Swirsky Gold, Dietary pesticides (99.99% all natural), Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, Vol 87, pp 7777-7781, October 1990.