Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 6:02 pm

What are your favourite audio restoration programs?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 7:01 pm

I use a bunch of 'em. been doing this in one form or another since the late 80s. started out with the burwyn noise suppressor and impulse noise [click] suppressor, various EQs and other dehissers. then when I got my hands on a puter starting in '91 I worked with the original "wave for windows" which although slow on anything less than a top of the line 486DX2 with 16 Mg [! :lol: ] of RAM, was the first "audio restoration" app I could find. then in '95 I got sound forge and DART and Dcart, I could do my first semi-automated denoising and declicking/repair. then in 1999 Pristine Sounds 2000 came along and let me do for the first time quality spot-edits of troublesome noisy bits. then in the early 2000s came virtos noise wizard and acon digital media restoration tools, along with the first used CEDAR modules that I could get off of Ebay. since then I've added updates to various programs, and also iZotope Rx [first spectral editor for windows] and Roland Rmix [gets rid of rumble and hum better than any other program I've tried, it does this dynamically] and also allows me to "remix" stereo recordings and make approximate quasi-stereo remixes of mono material, sometimes. a more detailed accounting of each program's strengths and weaknesses-

the Burwyn impulse noise suppressor and noise suppressor-
meant to be used as a pair- the noise suppressor could also tackle light crackle, whereas the impulse noise suppressor was meant for the coarser crackle, was the go-to for many radio stations for many years. used aggressively could alter timbres and dull transients/trebles. powerful for its day, the overall equal of the packburn unit but for less moolah.

CEDAR DCX and CRX digital declicker and decrackler-
expensive rack-mounted modules work in real time to transparently/flawlessly declick and decrackle. must be adjusted properly, by ear. nothing can beat these units. now and then they are found on Ebay for a much more rea$onable amount of moolah. otherwise VERY expensive and frankly marketed only to audio professionals in big cities.

Pristine Sounds 2005-
allows spot-denoising/EQ/dynamics adjustments/glitch removal/amelioration. nothing else seamlessly can "iron out" warped bits of vinyl/shellac than this program. has a nominal declicker/decrackler that is not too effective. denoising facilities work fairly well, capable of removing gross amounts of noise without affecting the music too much, it has a unique short-order treble reverb that subtly undoes some of the "deadening" that results from heavy NR. has a truly graphic [pencil drawing curves] EQ and endlessly parametric EQs capable of surgical corrections without noticeable phase shift. has a great-sounding configurable reverb that for the most part has adequate echo density. unfortunately, they deleted the echo density control but it was VERY computation-intensive [read: slow]. lets you remove the grotzel left over from other denoising operations.

Sound Forge-
my go-to for initial formatting and corrections, comes with built-in iZotope dynamics/limiting/reverb/heterodyning remastering package as well as useful parametric EQs and declicker [with spot interpolation/extrapolation] that is among the best within its limits. powerful cut/paste/mix backfilling/spot edit capability, useful for tape drop-outs of up several seconds. it has some phase issues, however.

Wavelab Elements 8-
comes with a declicker/decrackler/depopper that is among the best, within its limits. works nearly as well as CEDAR. useful noise suppressor with adjustable threshold and bandwidth. an enhanced pro version with sidechain capabilities is available separately for a lot more coin.

Dcart-
the first automated real-time processor/declicker, works adequately for most material within limits. spot-correction ability of clicks. unique class A tube emulator, with a configurable treble heterodyning function that actually spectrally widens the frequency extension in the treble, this brings dull old recordings back to life, used sparingly. useful dynamic dehisser with variable frequency gate functions works something like the old packburn denoiser. useful variable frequency dynamic limiter/expander. various configurable bandwidth and notch filters. great and powerful spectral NR feature, lets you hear what is being taken out.

DART XP Pro-
useful realtime declicker and decrackler works about as well as CEDAR on most material, plus spot-correction/back-filling. several kinds of dynamic noise reduction with variable threshold/noise floor/frequency range, unique. excellent reverbs.

Munoise-
the best [direct x] dehisser I've heard. transparent operation, lets you hear what is removed. minimal artifacts. I'd put it up against CEDAR dehiss.

Acon Digital Media Audio Restoration Tools-
direct X declicker/decrackler, noise suppressor, spectral enhancer which really can add sparkle to bandwidth-limited old recordings when used sparingly. this one works most similarly [in sound quality] to CEDAR. it also comes as part of Acoustica [their sound editor]. the denoiser is moderately effective, used sparingly.

Virtos Noise Wizard-
a declicker/decrackler, denoiser and spectral enhancer which works something like the aphex aural exciter. capable of powerful declicking of grossly corrupted material but must be used with restraint as it is also subject to the audio artifacts that plague other declickers when used aggressively [dulling of transients, alteration of brassy timbres, distortions et al]. capable of stripping away either mid or side, "true mono."

PSP stereo tools-
contains vector scope for monitoring mid/side. adjusts stereo width/lateral/centering of both mid and side. useful fake stereo app configurable for most natural sound, works as well as Orban fake stereo unit IMHO. it can make a messed up stereo mix much more palatable.

Adobe Audition 3.0
a decade old but still useful with a unique Adobe Photoshop add-on, a spectral paint correction tool which lets you "paint" out aural flaws on the spectral display. brushes are configurable. capable of rendering a digitally reconstructed stereo signal out of mono, but very tedious. very useful adaptive noise reduction that is great for dense noise of variable quality. excellent reverbs with variable echo density. unique brainwave emulator function for head phone use, "brainwave entrainment." creates white/pink/brown noise. other NR functions underdeveloped. useful frequency and level-dependent limiter/expander, capable of de-essing and a lot more.

iZotope Rx-
unique spectral editor allows extraneous noises [e.g., coughs, chair squeaks, car horns et al] to be surgically removed without affecting the music bed behind. also useful for digital stereo reconstruction, allows graphically selected frequencies/bands to be deleted just like a word processor. declicker/denoiser needs work.

Roland Rmix-
allows "remixing" of mono and stereo recordings to an extent, I have made ok-sounding "fake stereo" out of mono with plausibly [to casual listeners] discrete instrument placement of some recordings. excellent wind noise suppressor which works well for phonographic rumble. unfortunately cannot differentiate between room noise and phono rumble so a compromise must be set, with resultant leftover grotzel to be corrected in either PS2005 or iZotope Rx.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 9:02 pm

Tough, can you tell me what you do in this regard? always looking for new ways of doing things better than before. :)

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 10:07 pm

For de-clicking, I have yet to find a program that does it without smudging the sound. I see there's a demo for your Wavelab Elements 8:
https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cubase/trial.html
Might try that when I get home. Is it a VST or DirectX plugin? If so it ought to work in my Logic 5, assuming they've not messed with (sorry, upgraded) the standards in the last few years.

For de-hissing, the best I've found is Waves X-Noise:
http://www.waves.com/plugins/x-noise
I use an old demo version that was around in the Windows 98 / 2000 / XP era. The version I've found the above link for is apparently only for Windows 7 and 8, so I don't know how similar it is, though the screenshot is virtually identical to the user interface of the old version. Mine is a DirectX plugin, which works nicely in Logic Audio 5 and quite well in Cool Edit Pro, with Windows 2000 or XP (from which you may be able to deduce that I've not moved with the times since a decade ago). You might be able to see from the screenshot that it gives you a lot of control over the process.

It's ridiculously expensive, but there's a demo version, and if it's anything like my demo version (that's right I didn't buy it), it's fully functional for a couple of weeks, after which it times out and refuses to work again unless I do a full system restore. I see it's necessary to create an account in order to get the demo, and for all I know they may have changed the method of making it a demo, so try it at your own risk. Note the price of the full package:
http://www.waves.com/bundles/restoration
Ridiculous 8O , but the denoiser is good IMHO. I was disappointed with the other elements though.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 10:24 pm

wavelab 8 elements is a standalone program, that accepts vst plug-ins, as far as I can tell. it contains the sonnox NR modules including the declicker and noise suppressor.
the beauty of Munoise is it is F.R.E.E. :mrgreen: I would be curious if you could download it and compare it to x-noise. also interested in your impression of the sonnox declicker/decrackler inside wavelab. waves also makes an interesting dolby cat43 emulator, [adjustable noise reduction bands via levers] can't remember what it is called. but to install any waves product nowadays you have to install first this clunky as all get out standalone installer, just needlessly complicated. that is why I stopped using waves products. but they do make quality [stable] stuff for the most part.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 2:43 pm

auntblabby wrote:

the beauty of Munoise is it is F.R.E.E. :mrgreen: I would be curious if you could download it and compare it to x-noise.

Yes I could do that, but so far I've not been able to find Munoise on the Web. Do you happen to know where it's hiding?

Talking of downloading, I'm just grabbing the Cubase Elements 8 trial version in the hope of having a go with its de-clicker. Apparently the trial is fully functional for a month. Pretty big at 2.6gb, so it'll take a while to download, but at least a thing of that size surely must be the actual program and not one of these modern "executable Web installer" things that isn't the program at all - I don't trust those, they seem to give the makers more control over everything. Once I've got the download, I like to be able to install it on any machine I like, without it accessing the Web. But it looks like I've nothing to worry about on that score with this one. It's going to be a month or so before I get access to my DAW again though.

Quote:
also interested in your impression of the sonnox declicker/decrackler inside wavelab.

Is that the same thing as the aforementioned "Cubase Elements 8" ?

Quote:
waves also makes an interesting dolby cat43 emulator, [adjustable noise reduction bands via levers] can't remember what it is called. but to install any waves product nowadays you have to install first this clunky as all get out standalone installer, just needlessly complicated. that is why I stopped using waves products. but they do make quality [stable] stuff for the most part.

Sounds like you're describing the very problem I've just castigated above. I've got the old Waves Restoration free trial version executable, from the days when they didn't fool around - should work with any host that supports DirectX. Runs fine on Win98, 2000 and XP, I've not tried it on anything higher. It times out 14 days after installation, but can be reloaded after a full system restore. It's a pretty small package if I remember right. It's probably no longer available on the Web, but I can always send it to you if you're interested and can think of a route, e.g. Skype, email, CD via snail mail, upload site.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 4:16 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

the beauty of Munoise is it is F.R.E.E. :mrgreen: I would be curious if you could download it and compare it to x-noise.

Yes I could do that, but so far I've not been able to find Munoise on the Web. Do you happen to know where it's hiding?

shareware music machine or hitsquad.com is where I got it. it's donation-ware that is perfectly functional once you get past a "buy me" screen. I should just buy it. it has done so much for my audio.

ToughDiamond wrote:
Talking of downloading, I'm just grabbing the Cubase Elements 8 trial version in the hope of having a go with its de-clicker. Apparently the trial is fully functional for a month. Pretty big at 2.6gb, so it'll take a while to download, but at least a thing of that size surely must be the actual program and not one of these modern "executable Web installer" things that isn't the program at all - I don't trust those, they seem to give the makers more control over everything. Once I've got the download, I like to be able to install it on any machine I like, without it accessing the Web. But it looks like I've nothing to worry about on that score with this one. It's going to be a month or so before I get access to my DAW again though.

I am guessing that since Cubase elements is like the big brother to wavelab elements, that it might have the full sonnox declicking suite in it, not the abbreviated model in wavelab elements.

ToughDiamond wrote:

wavelab is a different program by Steinberg, a simple stereo/mono wave editor. what does Cubase do?

ToughDiamond wrote:
Sounds like you're describing the very problem I've just castigated above. I've got the old Waves Restoration free trial version executable, from the days when they didn't fool around - should work with any host that supports DirectX. Runs fine on Win98, 2000 and XP, I've not tried it on anything higher. It times out 14 days after installation, but can be reloaded after a full system restore. It's a pretty small package if I remember right. It's probably no longer available on the Web, but I can always send it to you if you're interested and can think of a route, e.g. Skype, email, CD via snail mail, upload site.

thank you :) would you be interested in a stereo version of the phil spector "a Christmas gift to you" xmas album? this one I got is off of an actual by-god CD, not off a cassette or LP. no surface noise. IMHO it blows the monophonic version out of the water, it is a BIG-sounding recording, in surround it is ENORMOUS.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 7:46 pm

auntblabby wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

shareware music machine or hitsquad.com is where I got it. it's donation-ware that is perfectly functional once you get past a "buy me" screen. I should just buy it. it has done so much for my audio.

I got as far the "dowload now" button, but when I click it, all I get is a screenload of French which appears to be telling me that an error has occurred:

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/Munoise/

Looks like it may be out of circulation in the same way as the old Waves Restoration.

Quote:
I am guessing that since Cubase elements is like the big brother to wavelab elements, that it might have the full sonnox declicking suite in it, not the abbreviated model in wavelab elements.

Whatever it is, it's a biggie.

Quote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

wavelab is a different program by Steinberg, a simple stereo/mono wave editor. what does Cubase do?

Cubase is a big multi-track recording studio program, much like my Logic Audio. I don't understand why they've changed the name from Wavelab to Cubase. Possibly it's a different product and Wavelab Elements is now out of circulation?

Quote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

thank you :) would you be interested in a stereo version of the phil spector "a Christmas gift to you" xmas album? this one I got is off of an actual by-god CD, not off a cassette or LP. no surface noise. IMHO it blows the monophonic version out of the water, it is a BIG-sounding recording, in surround it is ENORMOUS.

Sounds fascinating. Yes I'd like to hear that, thanks 8) Do you still happen to have the installer package for Munoise? It's starting to look like I'll not get it any other way than bumming a copy off you. No rush at all - like I say, it'll be a few weeks before I'm able to do any testing, though I'm looking forward to it immensely. Let me know your preferred way of sending / receiving files.
What version of Windows are you running, by the way?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 8:01 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Yes I could do that, but so far I've not been able to find Munoise on the Web. Do you happen to know where it's hiding? Looks like it may be out of circulation in the same way as the old Waves Restoration. Cubase is a big multi-track recording studio program, much like my Logic Audio. I don't understand why they've changed the name from Wavelab to Cubase. Possibly it's a different product and Wavelab Elements is now out of circulation? [xmas record] Sounds fascinating. Yes I'd like to hear that, thanks 8) Do you still happen to have the installer package for Munoise? It's starting to look like I'll not get it any other way than bumming a copy off you. No rush at all - like I say, it'll be a few weeks before I'm able to do any testing, though I'm looking forward to it immensely. Let me know your preferred way of sending / receiving files. What version of Windows are you running, by the way?

windows 7 64 bit. wavelab 8 elements is new, it should still be available. I will PM you with the specifics, and will email you Munoise.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 11:12 pm

OK, I finally found Wavelab Elements:

https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/w ... trial.html

So it does seem to be a different beast from Cubase Elements. Looks like it runs for 30 days without needing a license. Only possible problem would be that it might not work in anything older than Windows 7, but no harm in finding out.

Thanks for the PM 8)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 11:17 pm

prego :) btw if you can beg borrow and purloin to get a copy of sound forge 10 used at least, it is WELL WORTH IT. you can do SO MUCH with that program, its editing capabilities are unexcelled.

michael517
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2015, 7:31 am

Holy cats auntblabby, what a review of software! Read this later.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2015, 11:39 pm

michael517 wrote:
Holy cats auntblabby, what a review of software! Read this later.

hope you got something you can use from it :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2015, 8:25 pm

a voice in the wilderness here, but I wonder how many other people here have heard examples of artificial stereo? there are various algorithms and other manual/semi-automated techniques for rendering a convincing stereo soundstage from a monophonic original recording. I lately have been stereoizing some old mono Elvis recordings in emulation of a number of primitive stereo master tapes newly discovered in the archives. I will have to figure out how to youtube-post some of them for your listening pleasure.