Question relating to windows 7 backup to windows 10

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2015, 12:45 pm

Something just crossed my mind, sorry if the title is too vague. I'm not really sure how to summarize it. I'm on windows 10 at the moment on a computer that was originally windows 7.

So on a USB I have a backup of my system from when I had windows 7. But should I in the future, for whatever reason, need to use it it'd go back to windows 7. I'm wondering if the upgrade to windows 10 would still be free should this happen more than a year later.

Any ideas?

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 5:48 pm

iliketrees wrote:
Something just crossed my mind, sorry if the title is too vague. I'm not really sure how to summarize it. I'm on windows 10 at the moment on a computer that was originally windows 7.

So on a USB I have a backup of my system from when I had windows 7. But should I in the future, for whatever reason, need to use it it'd go back to windows 7. I'm wondering if the upgrade to windows 10 would still be free should this happen more than a year later.

Any ideas?

As I understand it, if your computer's been running 10 for more than a month, Microsoft now has your computer (and the install key, I guess?) listed as running Windows 10.

If you switch it back to 7, you could even get notices you're running a pirated copy of Windows.

A simple solution would be to now do a back up of the Windows 10 installation. That way, if anything happens, you can restore Windows 10, not 7.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2015, 3:05 am

The only problem is that it's not clean. It has all my stuff on it, not a fresh template of 10. So backing up would take a lot of space.

But suppose I plugged in my backup and ran it (bad way of explaining). It puts it on 7. Would my upgrade to 10 be free because I'd already registered, or would I have to pay for it?