Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2016, 2:54 am

Hi everyone,
It's been a while since I've posted here, but I figured this would be a good place to ask this question since I recall there are a lot of devs who post here...

Can you name a role or title within an IT organization that would fit someone with the following responsibilities:

* Designs and implements small-scale development projects independently
* For larger projects, leads a small group (2-5) of developers implementing only the frontend or api
* Is considered an expert on a particular framework that is used in nearly every project and trains and mentors other developers on this framework (and other areas of expertise)
* Is entrusted with a higher degree of input and autonomy on design decisions than most frontend developers within the company
* Is often tasked with evaluating development skills of potential new hires in interviews
* Is often moved from one team to another as needs arise by the director of development
* Reports to the team's manager if there is one, or to the director of development

Thanks!

ZD
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2016, 3:50 am

To me it reads as "Senior Software Developer" performing a "Lead Developer" role on some projects.

Here is the list where I work:

Junior Software Developer
Software Developer
Senior Software Developer
Principal Software Developer
Software Architect
Senior Software Architect

Now architects don't just do high level designs of the software they also do infrastructure design as well.

The term "Software Developer" varies a a lot so substitute with what ever is used where you are. "Programmer" and "Software Engineer" are common. If someone asks me what I do for instance I always reply that I am a "Software Engineer" but "Software Developer" is what the company I work at uses.

BTW someone who acts as lead dev will get more pay than a senior usually depends on the skill sets. Some seniors just don't work as a lead unfortunately.

I'm a software architect where I work but there is only me at the moment I will be promoted if we hire another.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2016, 5:09 pm

Hi ZD,

So are you saying that someone who acts as a lead can usually make more than the average senior, provided they have the skill set the company is looking for from a lead position? I just want to make sure I understood that part correctly.

BTW, the reason I'm asking is I am mid-level in title but closer to senior in compensation. So before I go asking for a promotion, I'm trying to figure out if I can make the case for more than the average compensation for a senior, because otherwise it wouldn't make much difference.

Anyway, thank you very much for your reply! I really appreciate it.

ZD
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 4:48 am

Someone who can act as a lead would get a bit more not a huge amount but they wouldn't get it if they asked but when it comes to pay rises they would just get a bit more. It's a sort of acknowledgement but not a written one.

It all comes down to the persons value to the company someone who can step in and direct several developers is important. If your not already a senior I think from the responsibilities listed you should be, but been on the same pay already puts you in an awkward position asking for a pay rise. But requesting to be promoted to a senior isn't wrong to do as your doing that job, I wouldn't ask for more pay and see if they give you more. Really depends on the company your at and how money grabbing they are. Just another thought is your review due soon? if so hold off and bring up your position there as they wouldn't be surprised if you do, it could be there expecting something else from you before you get a promotion.

You might try looking for another job with more pay and hope they match it (go for the amount you would like in a pay rise). I hate those tactics myself though and I would just let them leave not my decision at my work luckily for them :)