Page 3 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2016, 1:28 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
black0441 wrote:
I used DOS until they forced me to start using Windows. When they came up Windows Vista, I switched to linux, which I have been pretty happy with.

I have a Mac too, but I honestly can barely even figure out how that thing works. Sometimes I use it as a media center; beyond that it mostly just confuses me.

How long did you stick with DOS for? The DOS-Windows transition fascinates me partly because it took so long to happen. Like, even though Windows 95 brought the Win32 API to the mass market, DOS was prevalent in some form on consumer PCs until the early 2000s. A fair number of big name games for DOS were released after the so-called "death of DOS" in 1996 and 1997, and there were even some minor releases as late as 1998 and 1999.

Most of that IMO was due to some big deficiencies in the Windows API and a lack of programmer knowledge/experience. It would be some time before things like Windows games would supplant DOS games, mostly because DOS granted direct or near direct access to the hardware. All else equalized, Windows games still have a slight lag compared to those that run on the bare silicon; back then it was readily apparent. But also, there was a huge body of productivity software investment in businesses & homes, too. And the programmers who wrote them were sometimes loath to upgrade their skills as they were nearing retirement - just bad timing & schools were just starting to offer programming as a separate degree. Finally, since DOS games still "felt" better and so much business & other DOS software still worked, there just wasn't a need to move forward. The introduction of an integrated (-ish) TCP/IP stack, cheap modems and ISP access, and finally, Netscape/IE 2.0 radically changed the entire ecosystem.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2016, 6:52 pm

I use Ubuntu for my server and Win10 for my PC. I've never been big into operating systems I use Win10 merely because it supports the wide variety of applications I use. That being said Windows CLI is s**t compared to UNIX based OSes-- hence the reason my web server runs Linux, too many command line statements required for Windows to be efficient or even pleasant to use.

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 6:41 pm

Linux (Manjaro Gnome) desktop

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 7:51 pm

MS-DOS v6.2

45OFFICE = TRE45ON
Lock Him Up!

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2016, 1:36 am

Fnord wrote:
MS-DOS v6.2

Only with Desqview/QEMM...

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2016, 11:10 am

Fleadog wrote:
Indeed! CDE got outdated pretty quickly. Motif held on a little longer. I imagine by the late 90s early 00's it looked like a dinosaur.

CDE is still being developed, and I would like to see a modern v.3 of it that has both Truetype/Opentype support as well as themability, but this also probably have to extend to a new version of libmotif as well. --At least we would have another option rather than the Qt/Gtk split that has existed for the past several years.

Dwightfry
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Mar 2016, 5:16 pm

Windows 7, xp, 98, linux.
Mainly use a desktop.

That concrete you are trying to dig through is 9 feet thick, it's reenforced with hardend steel, it's designed to withstand a nuclear blast."It doesn't matter. If you pound annything long enough, it'll give"
-Jimmy Bond, The Lone gunmen

AsahiPto17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Mar 2016, 6:40 pm

I prefer Linux, but I also like Windows because most everything runs on it. I used to use Linux almost exclusively but now I use windows more. I plan on using Linux more often when I get an installation setup that I like on my main PC to play nice with UEFI dualbooting and Nvidia Optimus.

impendingtacticallama
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Mar 2016, 5:10 pm

I main Windows 7, and use a Ubuntu VM for programming - I find that it's better for using and managing software libraries and tools.

One summer years ago I built an Arch Linux PC. I was very proud of it :D I gave up on it in the autumn when I went back to uni as it was too much effort. :( I still keep telling myself I'm gonna take the next step and work on Linux From Scratch...

I tried maining Mint once but reinstalled Win7 after a week because I couldn't get XCOM: Enemy Unknown to work with my hardware. :x

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

16 Mar 2016, 11:40 pm

Linux/Unix although my PC uses Windows. I'll probably end up using Windows operating systems due to the fact my future job will likely use computers with Windows OS within their network systems.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 11:46 pm

if apples weren't so daggone expen$ive I woulda started and stuck with them, but windows was the OS for the average joe. I was ok with windows 7 until they forced 10 upon me. now I am learning how to make do with it. whatever Microsoft says about it, 10 seems to use about twice the system resources as 7, I am always running out of memory. :|

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 11:55 pm

auntblabby wrote:
if apples weren't so daggone expen$ive I woulda started and stuck with them, but windows was the OS for the average joe. I was ok with windows 7 until they forced 10 upon me. now I am learning how to make do with it. whatever Microsoft says about it, 10 seems to use about twice the system resources as 7, I am always running out of memory. :|

Microsoft is sending back to Redmond information about you and what you do on your computer so it can then send you personalized ads. And whatever else they plan on doing with that info about you. See, they aren't talking and it's encrypted so we don't always know what they are even sending. Those CPU cycles, memory blocks and network bandwidth do so have to come from somewhere. But this way they can still say, "Windows 10 uses less resources" with sincerity because from their point of view it isn't the operating system *proper* (ie, the kernel, I/O, network stack, etc.) that's stealing your resources (along with your personal information)...it's all the extra processes. That's Microsoft-think.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 11:57 pm

Edenthiel wrote:
That's Microsoft-think.

more like Microsoft-STINK. :x typical corporate externalizing of costs.

ZD
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2016, 4:51 am

The Win32 API was available on windows 3.1 running on 386 hardware..... it wasn't an invention for windows 95 it was in development already.

Quote:
One of the largest changes to the Windows API was the transition from Win16 (shipped in Windows 3.1 and older) to Win32 (Windows NT and Windows 95 and up). While Win32 was originally introduced with Windows NT 3.1 and Win32s allowed usage of a Win32 subset before Windows 95

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2016, 1:17 pm

ZD wrote:
The Win32 API was available on windows 3.1 running on 386 hardware..... it wasn't an invention for windows 95 it was in development already.

Quote:
One of the largest changes to the Windows API was the transition from Win16 (shipped in Windows 3.1 and older) to Win32 (Windows NT and Windows 95 and up). While Win32 was originally introduced with Windows NT 3.1 and Win32s allowed usage of a Win32 subset before Windows 95

Oh, these are old, rusty, long neglected neurons you've sparked to life....now I'll be lucky if I can quiet them and get any real work done before lunch.

Win32s was only a partial implementation of the Win32 API & a separate download for Win 3.x. Sort of a WOW32 (thunking) only in reverse, but with only a Subset of the full API (the 's' indicated subset IIR). I remember having to dig in and learn the boundaries of what was in the subset when i was diagnosing a serial connection for...something that was NOT a printer or modem. While available, it was not a mainstream consumer release.

Servers, on the other hand had the Win32 API from NT 3.1 on as did NT 3.1 workstation, IIR, but in the context of the thread it was not a 'gaming' OS at all as NT was intentionally not fully compatible with Windows 3.x or 9x. Amazingly, I think there was even a 64-bin version of Windows NT as early as 3.1 (circa 1991 or 93?) for the DEC Alpha or MIPS (R4000 and R4400) processors.

Update: I think it was something really stupid, like laplink over serial...I also seem to recall Win32s being included with the TCP/IP stack + Mosaic which was the only way to get online, circa..1993 or 94 (initially the browser, stack and some other crucial proprietary dial-up piece was only available through a disk that came with a book).

ZD
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2016, 6:07 am

Edenthiel wrote:
ZD wrote:

Quote:

Oh, these are old, rusty, long neglected neurons you've sparked to life....now I'll be lucky if I can quiet them and get any real work done before lunch.

Win32s was only a partial implementation of the Win32 API & a separate download for Win 3.x. Sort of a WOW32 (thunking) only in reverse, but with only a Subset of the full API (the 's' indicated subset IIR). I remember having to dig in and learn the boundaries of what was in the subset when i was diagnosing a serial connection for...something that was NOT a printer or modem. While available, it was not a mainstream consumer release.

Servers, on the other hand had the Win32 API from NT 3.1 on as did NT 3.1 workstation, IIR, but in the context of the thread it was not a 'gaming' OS at all as NT was intentionally not fully compatible with Windows 3.x or 9x. Amazingly, I think there was even a 64-bin version of Windows NT as early as 3.1 (circa 1991 or 93?) for the DEC Alpha or MIPS (R4000 and R4400) processors.

Update: I think it was something really stupid, like laplink over serial...I also seem to recall Win32s being included with the TCP/IP stack + Mosaic which was the only way to get online, circa..1993 or 94 (initially the browser, stack and some other crucial proprietary dial-up piece was only available through a disk that came with a book).

I couldn't help mention it :)

Yeah it was only a subset of the final API as I said though it was in development just not as complete as the final windows 95 API.

Yeah 3.1 didn't have networking support that was 3.11 so proprietary stuff was needed :) ah I remember laplink brings back memories lol (had to google it and it's still going!!).