Page 3 of 7 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

100000fireflies
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2016, 12:05 am

Deltaville wrote:
100000fireflies wrote:
Deltaville wrote:
What I wanted to bring into focus on this question was whether numerical fluxes occur near asymptotes that reasonably could bring about numerical uncertainty. Yet all I get are these negative responses from everyone. :(

For the original question stated, it would be irrelevant. Jane is taller and the frog will half hop forever.

For the paradox version naturalplastic posed, i still don't see how it would matter? When i go from the couch to the fridge, whether i know the number of points i cross or not, there's a halfway to the destination. When i get there, there's another halfway ahead. And so on. Meanwhile, there are infinite points on any line. So whether i'm at point 999,556,743 or 12,456,465 how would it matter? I'd still have infinity to traverse.
How do you see it as influencing?

If there were finite points on a line, then the precise quantity would matter. But as there isn't, i don't see it. But again, as you mentioned it, maybe you're seeing a facet i'm overlooking??

Not sure what you mean by Jane is taller. Difference in magnitude is an incorrect premise in relation to this problem, although I am not exactly sure what you mean to be honest.

As I have mentioned numerous times on this thread, if you were to use the ratio limit test for convergence, you are right the limit as x->infinity is 1. That means you are correct, it would not be possible for the frog to every reach 1 in finite amount of moves as the distance does halve itself every subsequent step. This 'force field', as some call it, is known as an asymptotic barrier.

But these are two types of asymptotic for practical purposes, the other is a value where the denominator is 0 and it is impossible even theoretically to cross that threshold, because any value divided by zero is inheritable unknowable and undefined. If you were to find the limit of 1/x for instance, the function on the right would extend all the way up to infinity, and the function on the left would go all the way down to negative infinity.

However mathematician have long known that asymptotes can in fact be crossed, and thus are de facto regions in which functions cannot cross rather then de jure regions. For instance, some cubic functions do in fact cross the horizantal asymptote initially.

Therefore, some super computers, given the fact that 1 may not be in fact an absolute limit, have computed the so called Xeno's paradox and miraculously, after a gazillion (I cannot even write such a huge amount ;) ) amount of subsequent steps miraculously, the value of 1 is crossed. Who knows why?

Perhaps maybe you are right, they are nothing more then errors in decimal places, or perhaps, mathematics is a field that is more uncertain then we ever imagined.

This is the kind of discussion I wanted to probe in this thread, but it didn't go the way I hoped it would.

It had nothing to do with magnitude. It was in reference to my prior post's example (about the original post) that as stated, it's just a fact that the frog won't get there, the same as with the example, Mary is taller.

The zero denominator version is what i was referring to.
As i understand it (please tell me if i'm wrong because i easily could be), it approaches 1/0 as it approaches infinity. Based on that is why i said what i did - essentially that it would take so incredibly long to get to that point that while the numbers may be unknown (thou shall not divide by zero), that i'd still be dead long before i'd reach the fridge.

What i hear you saying is ..despite closing in on infinity, it can be crossed...which would mean that despite infinite points in a line, i potentially could get to the fridge before infinite time passes. Am i interpreting right?

Do you have a link to the computation work? I'm very curious to see it. I don't doubt it...many things we think we know are amazingly, progressively shown as wrong. And every time we learn something it seems to open a door into a greater unknown. In the end, there probably are no paradoxes, just holes in our knowledge.

A side question if you will, why did you transfer to law? You clearly think a lot and have a strong mathematical mind combined with a curiosity and thirst for understanding deeper meanings and truths. I would think law would be mundane by comparison.

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2016, 2:47 am

100000fireflies wrote:
Deltaville wrote:
100000fireflies wrote:
Deltaville wrote:
What I wanted to bring into focus on this question was whether numerical fluxes occur near asymptotes that reasonably could bring about numerical uncertainty. Yet all I get are these negative responses from everyone. :(

For the original question stated, it would be irrelevant. Jane is taller and the frog will half hop forever.

For the paradox version naturalplastic posed, i still don't see how it would matter? When i go from the couch to the fridge, whether i know the number of points i cross or not, there's a halfway to the destination. When i get there, there's another halfway ahead. And so on. Meanwhile, there are infinite points on any line. So whether i'm at point 999,556,743 or 12,456,465 how would it matter? I'd still have infinity to traverse.
How do you see it as influencing?

If there were finite points on a line, then the precise quantity would matter. But as there isn't, i don't see it. But again, as you mentioned it, maybe you're seeing a facet i'm overlooking??

Not sure what you mean by Jane is taller. Difference in magnitude is an incorrect premise in relation to this problem, although I am not exactly sure what you mean to be honest.

As I have mentioned numerous times on this thread, if you were to use the ratio limit test for convergence, you are right the limit as x->infinity is 1. That means you are correct, it would not be possible for the frog to every reach 1 in finite amount of moves as the distance does halve itself every subsequent step. This 'force field', as some call it, is known as an asymptotic barrier.

But these are two types of asymptotic for practical purposes, the other is a value where the denominator is 0 and it is impossible even theoretically to cross that threshold, because any value divided by zero is inheritable unknowable and undefined. If you were to find the limit of 1/x for instance, the function on the right would extend all the way up to infinity, and the function on the left would go all the way down to negative infinity.

However mathematician have long known that asymptotes can in fact be crossed, and thus are de facto regions in which functions cannot cross rather then de jure regions. For instance, some cubic functions do in fact cross the horizantal asymptote initially.

Therefore, some super computers, given the fact that 1 may not be in fact an absolute limit, have computed the so called Xeno's paradox and miraculously, after a gazillion (I cannot even write such a huge amount ;) ) amount of subsequent steps miraculously, the value of 1 is crossed. Who knows why?

Perhaps maybe you are right, they are nothing more then errors in decimal places, or perhaps, mathematics is a field that is more uncertain then we ever imagined.

This is the kind of discussion I wanted to probe in this thread, but it didn't go the way I hoped it would.

It had nothing to do with magnitude. It was in reference to my prior post's example (about the original post) that as stated, it's just a fact that the frog won't get there, the same as with the example, Mary is taller.

The zero denominator version is what i was referring to.
As i understand it (please tell me if i'm wrong because i easily could be), it approaches 1/0 as it approaches infinity. Based on that is why i said what i did - essentially that it would take so incredibly long to get to that point that while the numbers may be unknown (thou shall not divide by zero), that i'd still be dead long before i'd reach the fridge.

What i hear you saying is ..despite closing in on infinity, it can be crossed...which would mean that despite infinite points in a line, i potentially could get to the fridge before infinite time passes. Am i interpreting right?

Do you have a link to the computation work? I'm very curious to see it. I don't doubt it...many things we think we know are amazingly, progressively shown as wrong. And every time we learn something it seems to open a door into a greater unknown. In the end, there probably are no paradoxes, just holes in our knowledge.

A side question if you will, why did you transfer to law? You clearly think a lot and have a strong mathematical mind combined with a curiosity and thirst for understanding deeper meanings and truths. I would think law would be mundane by comparison.

There is no 'zero' asymptote in this case. f(x)= 1/x; XeR =/= 0 has a zero asymptote, as does f(x)= x/x-2; XeR =/= 2.

"Don't forget to floss." - Darkwing Duck

100000fireflies
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2016, 8:30 pm

?
I said here's what i think you're getting at, is that correct?
The reply doesn't answer it at all. I don't want to go on a goose chase.

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2016, 9:07 pm

100000fireflies wrote:
?

What goose chase? It is simply the functional boundaries of Xeno's paradox that does not contain a zero denominator asymptote. I provided zero-asymptote function with domains that are undefined, as a form of comparison.

100000fireflies
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2016, 9:51 pm

Deltaville wrote:
100000fireflies wrote:
?

What goose chase? It is simply the functional boundaries of Xeno's paradox that does not contain a zero denominator asymptote. I provided zero-asymptote function with domains that are undefined, as a form of comparison.

You brought up the zero denominator. Whether or not the denominator is zero or 1/4445667775667775578900765443456788876677 as it closes in on either x or y it closes in on infinity.

The answer given didn't at all answer hmm...so you're saying blah blah because of blah is why you think it might be relevant?
And the reply ...two equations.

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2016, 10:11 pm

100000fireflies wrote:
Deltaville wrote:
100000fireflies wrote:
?

You brought up the zero denominator. Whether or not the denominator is zero or 1/4445667775667775578900765443456788876677 as it closes in on either x or y it closes in on infinity.

The answer given didn't at all answer hmm...so you're saying blah blah because of blah is why you think it might be relevant?

You sound just like my brother, always accusing me of being pompous and arrogant.

There is a gargantuan difference between the two denominator, because if there is a zero in the in the denominator, it completely redefines the domain of the function of the series that one can compute. Xeno's paradox is essentially a series, just like many that are out there. 1/x is a series for instance, with a zero denominator. Guess what it's limit is.

And stop being so rude.

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2016, 10:23 pm

100000fireflies wrote:
Deltaville wrote:
100000fireflies wrote:
?

And if you consider 1/444566.... as a denominator the reciprocal rule kicks in and you are multiplying the value you presumably cannot reach in a finite amount of steps.. I think you get the idea.

Nine7752
Toucan
Toucan

07 Feb 2016, 10:46 pm

Ugh, this got nasty quickly. Calm down, whatever. It's a frog.

It depends on whether you are talking about math or practical frogs in physical space. In math, it's just an asymptote, never gets there.

In the real world, the frog would be so much at the finish line it wouldn't matter. If she is 3 microns away, or Plank's unit, then sure. Same for pencil and paper; the thickness of a line drawn by a pencil... etc..

But when this kind of problem is posed, it's usually just about the math, and this is a simple asymptote:

[url='http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?lk=3&i=sum%281%2F2^x,1,inf%29']Wolfram Example[/url]

(P.S. Fark it I can't get url= to do what I want with this funky URL. Just go into R and type

Code:
plot(1:20, cumsum(1/2^(1:20)))
.)

100000fireflies
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2016, 1:16 am

Deltaville wrote:
100000fireflies wrote:
Deltaville wrote:
100000fireflies wrote:
?

You sound just like my brother, always accusing me of being pompous and arrogant.

There is a gargantuan difference between the two denominator, because if there is a zero in the in the denominator, it completely redefines the domain of the function of the series that one can compute. Xeno's paradox is essentially a series, just like many that are out there. 1/x is a series for instance, with a zero denominator. Guess what it's limit is.

And stop being so rude.

Stop being so rude?

-You- brought up asymptotes. -You- brought up a 0 denominator.

I Was trying to have a conversation. In which i said okay, i think where you may be going with this/what you're trying to say is.... Am i correct?

To which you might say, well not quite..i was thinking more... Or something similar. And instead, you give two equations that are not what i said, nor are they even conversing with what i said or asked. Just another "hint" i'm supposed to chase that wouldn't even lead to an answer of my question. So i ask ??? And that, like others around you do, is accusing you of being arrogant.

Okay then. You win. I won't try to get past the "bogus" question discussion and move on to discuss the further idea you wanted to present. A conversation in which one party has a theory and both Discuss it. And in which if one of those parties says no...that won't work, they also say..but that's based on what i see.. Perhaps you can explain what you see since you brought it up so maybe i'm missing something or you have a reason i'm not seeing. And so on. And maybe there's a yes, that's how that is, but the version i mean would be this and there is the other which is why i was thinking that. Ahhh. But why would that matter since it still means this? Well, because there's also that. Ahh hmmm...well then blah blah blah
But fine.

Last edited by 100000fireflies on 08 Feb 2016, 2:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2016, 1:53 am

100000fireflies wrote:
Deltaville wrote:
100000fireflies wrote:
Deltaville wrote:
100000fireflies wrote:
?

And stop being so rude.

Stop being so rude?

I Was trying to have a conversation. In which i said okay, i think where you may be going with this/what you're trying to say is.... Am i correct?

To which you might say, well not quite..i was thinking more... Or something similar. And instead, you give two equations that are not what i said, nor are they even conversing with what i said or asked. Just another "hint" i'm supposed to chase that wouldn't even lead to an answer of my question. So i ask ??? And that, like others around you do, is accusing you of being arrogant.

Okay then. You win. I won't try to get past the "bogus" question discussion and move on to discuss the further idea you wanted to present. A conversation in which one party has a theory and both Discuss it. And in which if one of those parties says no...that won't work, they also say..but that's based on what i see.. Perhaps you can explain what you see since you brought it up so maybe i'm missing something or you have a reason i'm not seeing. And so on. And maybe there's a yes, that's how that is, but the version i mean would be this and there is the other which is why i was thinking that. Ahhh. But why would that matter since it still means this? Well, because there's also that. Ahh hmmm...well then blah blah blah
But fine.

Firefly, let's just forget it. I have bad social skills, and like on the other thread, I did not want for any of us to get into circles, but I did not really understand whether natural plastic did not understand the answer or simply wanted to redo the question altogether.

Likewise, those two formulas that I posted were simply put there to illustrate differences between series(s) depending on their asymptote. Nine is correct insofar that convergency tests are usually constrained by asymptote, but zero level asymptote formulas can have multiple summation series, which is something I feel she omitted. That is why they are so important. So before you say 'blah blah blah', consider what I intended.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2016, 2:04 am

In the high school gym, all the girls in the class were lined up against one wall, and all the boys against the opposite wall. Then, every ten seconds, they walked toward each other until they were half the previous distance apart. A mathematician, a physicist, and an engineer were asked, "When will the girls and boys meet?"
The mathematician said: "Never."
The physicist said: "In an infinite amount of time."
The engineer said: "Well... in about two minutes, they'll be close enough for all practical purposes."
http://www2.phy.ilstu.edu/~rfm/107_old/107F07/EPMjokes.html

Deltaville wrote:
Actually a degree does indicate higher intelligence then average, so it is not a far cry to claim that it gives you authority in certain disciplines. When I finished my undergrad I was given a chance to start work for my PhD in Theoretical Physics right away (skipping grad), although I declined to do so in favor of law.

You were on your way to probing the deep layers of reality, and instead you chooses to study law!? I don't get it. :?

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2016, 2:09 am

Tollorin wrote:
In the high school gym, all the girls in the class were lined up against one wall, and all the boys against the opposite wall. Then, every ten seconds, they walked toward each other until they were half the previous distance apart. A mathematician, a physicist, and an engineer were asked, "When will the girls and boys meet?"
The mathematician said: "Never."
The physicist said: "In an infinite amount of time."
The engineer said: "Well... in about two minutes, they'll be close enough for all practical purposes."
http://www2.phy.ilstu.edu/~rfm/107_old/107F07/EPMjokes.html

Deltaville wrote:
Actually a degree does indicate higher intelligence then average, so it is not a far cry to claim that it gives you authority in certain disciplines. When I finished my undergrad I was given a chance to start work for my PhD in Theoretical Physics right away (skipping grad), although I declined to do so in favor of law.

You were on your way to probing the deep layers of reality, and instead you chooses to study law!? I don't get it. :?

I know. Dumbest decision I made in my life.

100000fireflies
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2016, 2:20 am

Deltaville wrote:
100000fireflies wrote:
Deltaville wrote:
100000fireflies wrote:
Deltaville wrote:
100000fireflies wrote:
?

And stop being so rude.

Stop being so rude?

But fine.

Firefly, let's just forget it. I have bad social skills, and like on the other thread, I did not want for any of us to get into circles, but I did not really understand whether natural plastic did not understand the answer or simply wanted to redo the question altogether.

Likewise, those two formulas that I posted were simply put there to illustrate differences between series(s) depending on their asymptote. Nine is correct insofar that convergency tests are usually constrained by asymptote, but zero level asymptote formulas can have multiple summation series, which is something I feel she omitted. That is why they are so important. So before you say 'blah blah blah', consider what I intended.

Thank you.

I apologize then for my misreading on here/the other. It was how i read it/how it came across to me - though i also read other things that made me think differently. So, i apologize for misreading and responding on that.

For what it's worth, when i say blah blah , at least here, i *purely* meant it as a space/typing saver; not at all as in trivial blatherings.

I do want to have these conversations with you. You bring up questions that make me think in a way a lot of the world doesn't and i love it. I also have ulterior motives as i have no question that you gained a lot of knowledge in school that i would love to absorb. If i had it in me, i'd be back at school to redo life and get a double major chem/physics undergrad with one of the two as a grad..

My social skills aren't always the best either, but i would hope in the future, if you want, we can converse with fewer bumps.

Nine7752
Toucan
Toucan

08 Feb 2016, 9:38 am

Hey, now I'm curious - how would cumsum(1/2^n) have multiple summation series? I'd like to learn??

I don't want to jolt a dead horse back to life... just that my background is more cs/finance and those domains don't get into number theory or whatever is behind the phenomenon.

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2016, 11:27 am

Nine7752 wrote:
Hey, now I'm curious - how would cumsum(1/2^n) have multiple summation series? I'd like to learn??

I don't want to jolt a dead horse back to life... just that my background is more cs/finance and those domains don't get into number theory or whatever is behind the phenomenon.

It doesn't exist for sumf(x)=(1/2^x), as the function is only defined on one side of the asymptote.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 9:07 pm

It only seems paradoxical if you view the problem in 2D space.

If you imagine it in 3D space you can model it as a space ship flying toward a point in the x direction, which is actually a wall.

Imagine we are viewing this from the sidelines and the wall is going into the screen (that is, it is going into the z direction), so from out vantage point, the wall looks like a cross section...or dot, and we can see space ship side on from tail to head.

Now imagine though this space ship can't fly straight, and as it approaches the wall, it starts to turn into the screen towards the z direction, such that, from our sideline vantage point, the space ship looks shorter and shorter with each turn. Let's say the length the space ship appears is equal to the distance intervals at each step in the 2D problem. As the space ship turns away from us, it's speed remains constant in the direction it is traveling, much like when you are traveling at a constant speed in a car on a winding road, but it's velocity (speed in a particular direction) in the x direction slows at a rate proportional to the rate of change of the angle, which is proportional to the length the ship appears to us. In fact, the shorter the ship looks to us, the greater the angle at which it is angled away from us is, the slower it's traveling in the x direction, and the faster it's traveling in the z direction, though it's speed is constant in the direction it's actually traveling.

As it turns, it's no longer facing point B, but some other point along the B wall that is farther away. Imagine standing 10 feet from a wall. If your line of sight is perpendicular to it, then the point on the wall you are looking at is also 10 feet away. But if you are standing at an angle to the wall, the point on the wall you are looking at is more than 10 feet away. If you are standing almost parallel to the wall, the point on the wall you can see is very very very far away, and the path to that point is much farther from the path you would take to the point on the wall you are facing if you were standing perpendicular to it.

So it's the same with the space ship. As the space ship turns, the wall directly in front of it is farther and farther away. In the limit, the ship would have turned 90 degrees and is running parallel to the wall and thus can never get to it.

Of course the ship never actually turns 90 degrees but as it approaches 90 degrees, the wall is getting farthr away. So as you approach B in 2D space, the actual path you are taking in 3D space gets longer.

This will not get you points on a math test because math is about syntax not conceptual correctness, but it's conceptually sound.

Deltaville wrote:
Ever heard of this problem?

Let us a assume a frog jumps half a distance to it's destination. Therefore, its jumps would account as: 1/2 the distance + 1/4 the distance + 1/8 the distance and so forth.

Essentially, 1/2n

Would it ever reach its destination? Well I have computed that formula numerous amount of time and mathematically, it always results as impossible to reach.

Or perhaps not...

Some theoretical mathematicians have argued theoretically, after a googleplex of times, the destination would be reach as the resulting step is a positive integer. Infinitely small, yes, but nevertheless a positive integer.

Do the same laws of mathematics still apply when one reaches an enormous, unfathomable value?

Please discuss.